Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: New Year Update  (Read 369 times)

DebP15

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
New Year Update
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:08:59 PM »
I "stopped" the SPD on December 21,  and then wasn't terribly careful what I ate at my mom's over Christmas.  However,  I still lost some that week.  Last weekend we had our traditional New Year's Eve pizza,  and I ate quite a bit of the sweets we brought home from mom's.  I gained 2.5 pounds this past week.  I was surprised and dismayed,  to say the least.  So,  back we go,  I guess, to Serotonin Balance stage for a few more weeks.  Once I am back to where I was,  weight wise, I'm hoping I can add back in the cookies and/or sweet bread just at supper and just on weekends.  Plus,  after a week of being away and having several doctors' appointments for annual things, I am back exercising,  so that should also help. 

Yikes, I was not a happy camper yesterday morning when I saw that scale,  but my first reaction was not "I give up" but "Oops,  back to the diet."  I guess that's progress!!  :)

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: New Year Update
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:28:16 PM »
Thanks for the update and yes, that is wonderful to read that your reaction was to get back on track knowing you have something that works for you - way to go!  I know it's dismaying to see weight gain but I always like to remind readers and clients that it's the overall trend and finding a way of eating that overall you can stick with in the long term that counts.  Allowing yourself the pleasures of family traditions, sweets you enjoy, and letting go for a few days is another way of taking care of yourself. 

You've got so much to be proud of since staring the Serotonin Power Diet among which are weight loss, maintaining an exercise program that works for you, managing the ups and downs of "life", sticking with positive habits, being kind to yourself, and probably quite a few other things you can easily come up with and that is a wonderful bundle of gifts with which to continue your journey!

Stick with it - it's worth it :-)
Nina

p.s. Believe me, I know all about getting off track with the holidays, cold weather, holiday foods, etc. and I, too, am happy to be getting back to my usual exercise and eating routines!

DebP15

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
Well,  once again there is a significant weight gain on the scale,  and this time I am disgusted.  Since the end of December I have already gained back 4 of the 9 pounds it took me 12 weeks to lose...  Will there ever be a time when my eating habits are well and truly changed so that I don't feel like I'm always saying "I really shouldn't" and often going ahead anyway?  Really discouraged this morning. 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:46 PM »
That feeling of disgust and discouragement weighs heavily!  I think we all hope eventually those urges to eat for emotional and situation reasons, whether looking for a distraction, comfort, avoidance, even treating ourselves poorly if we're feeling badly about ourselves, etc., will one day go away...yet they come and go and never seem to go away entirely.  How to weather these urges is so individual.  For example, keeping your eye on your weight loss goals, celebrating the ways you've successfully lost weight already, focusing on something else that is soothing, or something like if you deviate from the program by overeating cookies, counting that as dinner and getting back on track without punishment the next day.

I wonder if you have a sense of what is different when you stay on track and those times when you say to yourself you shouldn't but you still deviate.  You have so much to be proud of: changing habits and losing weight.  Believe in yourself!  Believe in how good it feels to achieve your goals!  I love the reminders that often we are not afraid of failure, but rather we are more afraid of success (and our "power")...something to think about.

I am cheering you on!

Nina