Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Carb or veggie  (Read 5754 times)

ljbpn

Carb or veggie
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »
Been lurking off and on for several weeks...just bought the book.  This is the first time I've actually read a "diet book" completely.  Day 1 and Grocery shopping tomorrow!

My question: I love green peas...could easily make a meal of them.  But I need clarification...are green peas a carb or a limited veggie?

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Carb or veggie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
Welcome!
My apologies for the delayed response: you can eat peas as carb (2 cups for dinner phase I, 1.5 cups for dinner phase II and III) or a veggie (1/2 cup) any phase.

I hope things are going well so far!
- Nina

ljbpn

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.  I just finished my second week (phase one) and have lost 6 pounds.  I have a lot to go, but feel so satisfied that I truly BELIEVE that this way of eating is my salvation.  Thank you, Nina and Judy, for sharing this diet (although I hate to call it a diet!)

DragonflyTouch

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 08:57:09 PM »
Congratulations ljbpn!  I can relate to your joy at finding this great plan.  I have been following it since November of '07.  Just finished my delicious dinner of pasta, broccoli, onions, garlic and diced tomatoes with a bit of parmesan cheese.  I have complete faith that you will lose the weight you want....take it a day at a time, and try not too concentrate on the total amount you want to lose...it gets too overwhelming that way.  Just follow the plan, enjoy the delicious food, treat yourself kindly.  When you feel ready, slowly incorporate exercise into your schedule if you have not yet already...and watch the pounds melt away.  You are going to feel so energized, and at peace, and you will sleep great....everything promised in this plan gets delivered.  Again, congratulations!

ljbpn

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
Thanks for the awesome encouragement, Marty's Girl.  I was beginning to wonder if there were any active members here.  ;) I look forward to "talking" with you again.  Laurie

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 09:38:50 AM »
You gals rock!

DragonflyTouch

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »
You are welcome, Laurie!  I love checking for new posts here...sometimes there are lapses....but always great to hear from people.  ;D  I just finished getting my lunch prepared for tomorrow, along with my snacks.  How have you been doing following the meal suggestions?  I tend to stick to pretty much the same...maybe on week-ends I will vary it a bit.  Week-ends are a little tough for me...with extra time...and temptations, but I try to occupy myself with non-food related activities such as the gym, walking, some house cleaning (not much!) and reading, but it's always good to get into the weekly routine.  I still find myself trying to handle disappointments with sweets, but then I feel like my next day's workout is to just make up for the extra calorie intake, and not going forward...that helps.  Do you find any particular time more difficult than others?  All in all, though, this program is a life saver!  Take care!  Barbara

ljbpn

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
Good Morning Barbara- and all who may read this!

I hope you have had a good weekend.  I follow the basic eating guidelines, but with all the wonderful fresh produce, I haven't really followed the meal suggestions.  I enjoy experimenting with my cooking (sometimes quite inedible!) and meal planning. 

My tough times are evenings.  With the carb snacks, though, I am satisfied and I don't go to bed hungry.  Because of this, I am reluctant to change from Phase 1 to Phase 2.  I don't think this will hurt, as I have about 120 pounds to lose.  And I am in this for however long it takes.

I have also found that since starting SP, my rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia have become less achy, and I feel less fatigued.  My stamina is increasing and I have renewed interest in doing things I love: crochet, card making and playing the keyboard. 

I am currently in physical therapy for my fibromyalgia, but that ends in a few weeks.  I am going to the Y today to see about joining.  There I can continue my warm water exercises, and start incorportating walking on the indoor track which is padded and gives a little (my knees appreciate that!).

Right now I am doing a little victory dance: this past week I was strong! (very unusual)

1. I made 20 dozen cookies for a church function and didn't sample or lick the bowl.

2. On Saturday, I attended an extended family dinner.  I took a pasta/veggie salad that I could eat and share, with the plan that I would just eat that.  I consciously changed my plan, and had some of just about every dish, although in much smaller amounts than what I would have done previously.  And Sunday morning, I resumed SP without regret, nor do I feel guilty for Satuday dinner.

3. Sunday afternoon I attended the church cookie function, was stationed by the cookie table, and I did not give in to the call of the cookie!  In fact, it wasn't hard at all to resist.  Now to be honest, I did think about having "just one" but then I would remembered that this is week 3 (I haven't been able to stick to an eating plan more than 3 days in the past 20 years); I feel better than I have in years; I "treated" myself just the previous evening at the potluck; I wasn't really hungry, and sweet corn for dinner was just a couple hours away! Thus, my Victory Dance. ;D

My DH is supportive, but just doesn't quite understand these victories are huge for me.  So I thank you for reading, and for your support.

I hope your week is a good one!  Talk to you soon.  Laurie

DragonflyTouch

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!  You have achieved so much in just a short time....the one that really jumped out at me was getting right back on the program the following day after treating yourself at the pot luck...and NOT FEELING GUILTY!  That was what I noticed right away when I started...if I DID slip, it was easy to get right back into it.  And I am thrilled that you are physically feeling better...you are dealing with 2 very painful conditions.  You are able to stay on Phase 1 for as long as you feel necessary.  I am on Phase 2..I think...and I have been on the proram going on 2 yrs....I need 2 snacks a day...sometimes 3!  I don't eat protein at dinner, however, but add extra carbs, as in Phase 1 dinners....that is what works best for me.  And after only a 10 lb weight gain this past winter (I finally got driver's license at 48!) so was walking a lot less, and found myself gradually going back to old habits food wise....I lost the 10 lbs in a very short time, and got back into the Serotonin Way.  I keep a food journal, because it is surprising how little "cheats" add up, especially after getting to goal weight and becoming a little less discipline.  However, I STILL do allow myself special treats...but not everyday....Laurie, keep up the great work.  I applaud you!  Barbara

ljbpn

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »
Hi Barbara!  Just touching base to see how your week has been going. 

SP-wise, my week has been on track, but my fibro really kicked up, and I'm not moving well right now.  Funny thing, I figured I'd be scrounging for junk food to "make it all better", but not the case.  In fact, I've actually forgotten to eat!!!!!!!  Throws my day off, but the hunger just isn't there.  Way COOOOOOL!

Keep On, Barbara.  It sounds like you have a good handle on what your body needs.  You inspire me!  Blessings! Laurie

DragonflyTouch

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind words...sorry to hear about your fibro acting up, but it sounds like you are handling it in a positive way.  My week went well food/exercise well.  I spent a wonderful day at the beach with my sister, and then out to dinner...Mexican restaurant where I was told it would be impossible to finish my meal....oh, I love a challenge!  of course I ate it all!  But I did extra cardio this morning at the gym and am right back on track today...no guilt.  It's good to indulge every once in awhile.  Keep up the good work...you will be amazed at the changes in your body, attitude, energy, and your relationship with food.  Keep me posted!  Barbara

ljbpn

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »
The beach sounds wonderful...(ocean beach, lake beach or river bank beach?)  And how wonderful to spend time with your sister!

I am so looking forward to increasing my exercise activity.  I'm currently taking warm water physical therapy, and feel stronger every day (except for flare-ups  :-\).  Next week I'm having cataract surgery, so no water exercise.  But my therapist OK'd walking, as long as I don't get too enthusiastic (hard to do, as I love walking-the feel of my muscles, the outdoors, and the birds singing...but since I live in the country, I also have heavy farm equipment traffic, and snakes running (?) across the road to escape the harversters.

BTW, I am 50 years old...not ancient chronologically.  But health-wise its been down hill since my birthday.  It could be worse, though.  I could be dead, or even worse-- a teenager again :o!

Have a great week Barbara, and keep on keeping on!  Laurie   

DragonflyTouch

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:13 AM »
So totally agree with the teen-age comment!  I will be 50 in January...and since being on this program, I have never felt healthier....so keep it up!  As for the beach...ocean beach...Good Harbor in Gloucester, MA...BEAUTIFUL!  Off to the gym now.  Walking in the country sounds heavenly...except for the snake part!  Good luck with cataract surgery.  Talk soon.  Barbara