Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: getting more dairy?  (Read 4428 times)

heathwood

• tickerfactory.com
getting more dairy?
« on: October 24, 2008, 08:02:39 PM »
Hi all,
i used the serotonin power diet last spring to lose 12 # in less than two months -- all without being the least bit hungry -- in fact, feeling like i was overeating!  am getting ready to start again -- and stay with it this time -- but want to figure out how to include more dairy in my diet, as i like to get as much calcium as possible from my food rather than a suupplement.  I also don't want to overdo it on the "dreaded" cottage cheese -- which i actually love with either tomatoes or pineapple -- but not more than 3 or 4 times/week.  any of you veterans have great ideas for sneaking more dairy in?
thank you!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: getting more dairy?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
Milk, yogurt, cottage cheese.  Yes.  But you can also check out the dairy section and aim for any low fat cheese you can tolerate (actually I like the individually wrapped american and chedder cheese singles that are fat free) - fat free goat cheese isn't bad, but it depends on the brand.  Most hard fat free cheese is pretty tasteless but fat free ricotta cheese is delicious.  Look for other foods high in calcium such as these that I found on the following web site:

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/15-non-dairy-foods-high-in-calcium.html

Sesame Seeds
A quarter cup of sesame seeds has 351 mg calcium.

Spinach
A cup of boiled spinach has 245 mg.

Collard Greens
A cup of boiled collard greens has 266 mg.

Blackstrap Molasses
One tablespoon has about 137 mg.

Kelp
One cup of raw kelp has 136 mg.

Tahini
Two tablespoons of raw tahini (sesame seed butter) have 126 mg.

Broccoli
Two cups of boiled broccoli have 124 mg.

Swiss Chard
One cup of boiled chard has 102 mg.

Kale
One cup of boiled kale has 94 mg.

Brazil Nuts
Two ounces of Brazil nuts (12 nuts) have 90 mg.

Celery
Two cups of raw celery have 81 mg.

Almonds
One ounce of almonds (23 nuts) has 75 mg.

Papaya
One medium papaya has 73 mg.

Flax Seeds
Two tablespoons of flax seeds have 52 mg.

Oranges
One medium orange has 52 mg.

I think tofu is high in calcium too but you can check labels.

- Nina

heathwood

• tickerfactory.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »
thank you nina!
i hadn't even thought about getting my calcium from non-dairy sources.  in particular, the spinach, chard, and kale are great options for me -- i adore all of them.  this does indeed make it easier to get in my calcium from dietary sources.
judy

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
The vegetables are a good calcium option, the nuts (sesame seeds, tahini, almonds, flax seeds) should be eaten sparingly like a tablespoon a day, maybe two at most a day if you're otherwise eating foods that are very, very low in fat, but watch the progress of your weight loss, if you plateau, definitely don't add two tablespoons of oil a day.

strawberryhill

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
A lot of people don't know but the calcium in veggies is actually more absorbable than the calcium. Leastways, that is what I read somewhere. Make sure that you are getting enough Vit D too as you need that for a lot of reasons.

FenTrier73

getting more dairy
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 05:04:30 AM »
I guess I should have expected that answer.  But, my intention is to get one that I will be happy with and maybe then in the future I would want more.
Brwbier