Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Finding The Right Snacks  (Read 72 times)

leeleemarg

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Finding The Right Snacks
« on: October 07, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »
Hello, I am starting back on the diet as I got off of it and tried Weight Watchers with little success. I am curious though;

I was in Walmart looking for snacks that fit the criteria for phase 1 of the program. I noticed that many of them were acceptable except for going over in fat content by 1 or 2 grams. Is this ok? For example, saltines, I could have ten for 24 grams of carbs, but it would be 3 grams of fat, not 2. Realistically, if I limit myself too much, I know I won't stick with this plan.

Also, what vegetables should I consider carbs and not veggies? I know beans, peas, but what about corn, squash, chickpeas?

Any tips/advice? It seems like the book is Very scarce on listing what is acceptable. Its a little frustrating

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Finding The Right Snacks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
Hello, and welcome back!

I hear you on needing / wanting flexibility so you'll stick with the program.  Of course, if you have a gram or 2 extra fat for a snack that will otherwise control your cravings and keep you on track, absolutely go for it.  I applaud you for being so thoughtful about it!

Not everything is clear cut when it comes to categorizing food so we simplify: corn and squash are considered a starch not a vegetable.

Beans are a bit more tricky since most are half carb and half protein (they vary in their proportions: cannellini beans and more carb than protein, chick peas are closer to half and half).  They should be counted as a protein if that's the only source of protein at lunch, for example, and have a portion large enough to satisfy the protein requirements (yes, you'll be getting the carbs but that's OK).  If you're having beans at dinnertime and counting it as a carb, have half of the carb requirement as beans and the other as rice, tortilla, bread, potato, corn, etc. to cut down on the protein that would otherwise blunt the surge in brain serotonin. 

I'm glad the book resonates with you.  It has helped many to follow some of the recipes and meal guidelines.  The other thing is, as you eat this way, you will get a sense of what foods make you feel good, what you need to eat, if there are some days you need to eat a bit more and other days you can't finish your portions because you're too hungry, there may be a day here and there you need an extra snack, some days you might exercise more than usual, etc.  It's a process and we're here to answer specific questions so I'm really glad you wrote in.

As I wrote earlier to someone today, be kind to yourself and try to be in tune with your body and how you feel as you adjust to this way of eating. 

Nina 

DebP15

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:53:58 AM »
I have discovered some snacks that fit the bill and I love them so much I don't mind eating them several times a week!  I am most fond of the apple cinnamon and caramel Quaker Quakes and Stauffer's animal crackers.  Also,  I am finding that tootsie rolls for my evening snack in serotonin surge satisfied my chocolate cravings and stay within the limits, as well. 

Hope that helps! 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
Excellent!!