Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Weight gain on Lexapro  (Read 7263 times)

brandytess

Weight gain on Lexapro
« on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
:(  On Lexapro for 4 years for anxiety. I have gained about 5-10 pounds a year. Can't seem to lose no matter how I eat or exercise. Help, please!!!!!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Weight gain on Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:05:46 PM »
Hi, I think I just posted to you on another board - stick with SPD and you'll lose weight, feel better about yourself, and have more mental energy.  Please write if you have specific questions or want to know how to make the program work best for you.  You've found the right program, now all you have to do is follow it.

- Nina

skimom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:10:27 PM »
I just found this.  Are you still on here brandytess?  How's it going now?  Any luck?  I still in phase 1 and I'me very interested in hearing for others. 

lexaprofatty

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:15:21 AM »
Hi are you still on the Lexapro?  Did you give the SPD a go? I have just come off Lexapro.  I was on it for a year and a half and gained 25kg (55 pounds).  I am very excited that I found this diet and have high hopes. 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
Welcome!  I hope you find that the SPD works well for you.
All my best,
Nina

Lisajane

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
Hi,

I'm so glad I found this site.  I started up on SSRI's several years ago. Switched from Prozac to Lexapro.  I gained 30lbs.  Life started getting back on track and it's time for me to remove this crutch. It's been hell. I tapered off as the medical professionals say to do.  However it's been 2 weeks from being 100% off meds and still having side effects. Not fun at all!  I'm starting to feel better each day.  One thing I found that helps with the side effects is motion sickness medication original formula. Huge saver with the dizziness and "brain zaps." 

So I started reading thru the premise of this diet and it's relation to SSRI's and everything now makes sense. I went into treatment for substance abuse in June.  The food was terrible and they fed me heaping servings of carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Mind you I did walk about 20 miles a week. I dropped 15 lbs by the time I left after 30 days. I could not figure out what the heck was going on and why? 

I've never had issues getting my butt up and exercising.  But I just couldn’t figure out the diet part.  I've been on the serotonin power diet eating high good carbs, low fat and protein for 4 days now. I feel great and I dropped 5 lbs. no joke. My body has been so out of whack getting off of Lexapro.  I'm watching my carbs and working out 1 hour a day. Even if I'm sitting on my stationary bike for an hour while watching tv. 

I have very high hopes for this diet.  It makes sense for me and my genetic makeup.  I've tried the low carb high protein and it does nothing for me.  I feel like i'm fueling my body properly for once and she's purring.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:20:04 AM »
Lisajane, thank you so much for sharing so much of your experience - I am thrilled you've had such a great response to the diet!  That speaks volumes for how easily you'll be able to gravitate towards eating this way naturally with your body eventually knowing what it needs.

It must be such a relief to feel like your eating is in control and making you feel good about yourself. 

Yes, whatever exercise you are able to do is great.

Please keep us posted and let us know if we can support you in any way.

All the best from all of us (and happy new year!!)

vivk

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Re: weight gain on Lexamil
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
[quote author=brandytess link=topic=341.msg2063#msg2063 date=1224599756]
:(  On Lexapro for 4 years for anxiety. I have gained about 5-10 pounds a year. Can't seem to lose no matter how I eat or exercise. Help, please!!!!!
[/quote]
Hi
Hope this topic is still going. I am very much a newbie to this, so forgive my ignorance! I am on 30g lexamil per day. I have been on this dosage for 6 months,before which I was on 20mg for about 2 years. Since I started on lexamil I have noticed a steady weight gain of about 10Kg. whatever diet I choose, or regardless of whatever exercise I do, the weight does not shift. In my country the buzz diet is called "the banting diet" which advocates high fat and NO CARBS. I have been on this for about a month but have noticed my irritability levels have increased a bit, and there is no change in the weight. This diet is currently under a great deal of scrutiny and there is even a court case about it but I have some good symptoms as a result- less tired, not such a lot of back pain. what concerns me is that because I have cut out carbs altogether now, I have no "feel good" serotonins going in, other than the ones provided by the lexamil. The diet recommended here is just the total opposite of the one recommended in my country. I am so confused and dont know what to do to lose the weight ! Any help will be so appreciated!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 01:05:34 AM »
Hi, and welcome!  I agree - there doesn't seem to be much agreement in the diet world about how to eat, what to eat, how much to eat, etc.  I think one way to make it easier is, what would you like your food to give you?  Nourishment, good health, and maintain comfortable weight are common goals.  And some people have dietary preferences like eating organic, wholesome, vegetarian, local, gluten-free, slow cooked, raw, etc.  Those can be very personal.  Health claims tied to foods are also very confusing especially since labels are confusing and the quality of foods varies widely (such as pesticide-laden fruit flown across the world vs. lemons grown in your back yard).  For many people on antidepressants and related medications, they want food to give them control over their appetite.  We have the answer: eat in such a way to boost brain serotonin so you can control your appetite.  So that's what the diet is focused on and confusion is eliminated.

If I haven't made your head spin yet by acknowledging how confusing it can be to understand which weight-loss diet to try, I'd like to suggest that because your appetite feels out of control, you choose to eat in such a way that you control your appetite.  Being on the serotonin power diet, you will increase your brain levels of serotonin in such a way that your appetite will be more controlled.  You may at times need to eat more than is recommended on the diet, but in general if you follow the guidelines, you will be able to eat less and lose weight.  Many of our readers and clients choose to cut out refined sugars and processed starches like white flour (generally accepted as unhealthy), and if that is your choice, you can eat wholesome carbs like whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and rolled oats rather than the refined versions.  We offer refined flours and white sugar options for those who can't live without them, and a diet without those foods would be unsustainable.  It's a personal choice, and moderation can be used with such foods as well.

For some people, a high protein low carb diet is fine.  But for many people on Lexapro, low carb high protein simply doesn't work. 

I invite you to try the diet - it's all normal foods so there's no risk.  Let us know how you feel eating this way and we can help you tweak it to make it work for you.  There's a UK version you can get on amazon.co.uk that we wrote but it's called "The Good Mood Diet" which you may find much easier to follow than the US "Serotonin Power Diet" version.

Wishing you the best - keep in touch if you find it helpful,
Nina