Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: vending machines
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on July 25, 2017, 08:02:53 PM »
Wow, I really admire how you're trying to make the best choices when the options are limited - way to take care of yourself and weather challenges whatever they may be!

You could get the chicken sandwich and eat the bun for snack then wait at least 30 minutes then eat the chicken and some milk. 

Can you pack something in your car?  You could have your usual breakfast before you go then have twizzlers or swedish fish for a snack (or the bread of a sandwich) mid-late morning, then have a milk or the chicken part of the sandwich before you leave if you're really hungry, and then have a cooler in your car with veggies and a lean protein or have the veggies and the lean protein when you get home if you can wait and if the drive isn't too long.  Some exercise would be ideal mid-late afternoon!  Then an afternoon snack and dinner as usual.

How are things going with the weight loss, quality of sleep, energy level, your overall mood, etc.?  I'm really glad to know you're taking care of yourself!
Hello! 

For dinner and evening snack suggestions, you may have to try several different foods and different preparations to find what works for you but generally cooked veggies and simply prepared starchy carbs.  For example:
- stew of potatoes, carrots, and zucchini 
- rice and spinach with one fried egg on top
- roasted sweet potato and asparagus
- toast with a spread of avocado and pureed broccoli soup
- corn tortillas with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese heated in the microwave or oven with veggies of your choice

For snacks, anything gentle, can be hot rice cereal or a low fat muffin

Try a variety of things and see what suits you best - you'll know what works
Ask Judy and Nina / vending machines
« Last post by janeaniebeanie on July 23, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
I spend a lot of time in a prison visiting room where the only form of sustenance comes from vending machines. I cannot bring my own food items. How can I modify my day? I am usually there from 7:30 to 2:00.

The vending machines have no fruit, vegetables, or yogurt. Milk, juice, coffee and water are available. There are two candy choices that meet snacking guidelines - twizzlers and sweedish fish. Everything else is chocolate and chips.

There are sandwiches, I bought one and only ate the "chicken" patty, and discarded the roll.

When I came home I binged on vegetables.

Assuming I eat my regularly scheduled breakfast before I enter this place devoid of health, what can I do for the 6 hours I am there, and what should I do afterwards?
Thank you. I was looking for items that met the dinner meal and late snack criterion.
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: not looking to lose weight
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on July 17, 2017, 09:40:53 PM »
Hello and welcome!

We always emphasize that The Serotonin Power Diet is not a substitute for medications prescribed by your health care provider.  At the same time, I always love it when people appreciate and enjoy the mood-boosting potential of increasing brain serotonin through the foods they eat.  So I'm thrilled you've found us :-)

If you have ice cream in the afternoon, that would count as your snack and you don't have to have a snack beforehand.  The fat and protein in the ice cream will likely blunt the brain surge of serotonin but it will still be effective.  I'm only recommending it because you mention your goal is not to lose weight. 

I encourage you to take notice of how you feel when you have ice cream in the afternoon as a snack vs. a starchy carb that is low fat and low in protein as recommended in our book.  Check in with yourself on how your appetite is at dinner time, how much you eat at dinnertime, your energy level, your mood, and anything else you notice. 

Please keep us posted,
Nina
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Elevator speech
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on July 17, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »
Good question - they don't teach this in medical school!  Here's something you can put into your own words:

Elevator speech:
"I eat everyday foods and time them so that my appetite is maximally controlled by foods that boost brain serotonin and therefore I can eat less, lose weight, and feel great."   

To explain it further, you can say:
"Eating carbs without protein sets off a series of metabolic reactions that lead to increased brain serotonin.  Brain serotonin controls my appetite so I eat less and lose weight.  It also can help control stress.  Although the magic is in everyday carbs, I eat plenty of protein.  I eat protein mostly in the first half of the day, and carbs and veggies in the second half of the day." 

I wish it were simple as some other diets are to explain (for example, "no carbs", "paleo", "low fat", "gluten free", "vegan", etc.) but since it's not just about eliminating entire foods groups or only choosing some food groups like the above examples, it's a bit more complicated to explain.

I hope that helps,
Nina 

Ginger tea with honey is wonderful and if crackers help, great.  Turmeric, cinnamon, fennel, cumin, and mint are among other things you can add to your diet to reduce tummy upset.  Chamomile tea and Valerian tea are also known to help, but they're diuretic so you may find yourself waking up at night.

Reducing irritating foods like coffee and other caffeine, spicy foods, pickled foods and vinegar, cutting down on sugar, eating earlier, doing gentle yoga and otherwise relaxing before bed: these are all things that can help.
Ask Judy and Nina / not looking to lose weight
« Last post by asd78 on July 17, 2017, 05:53:44 PM »
Hello Judy and Nina,
I have read your book and several of your articles in Psychology Today.  I have been on Zoloft for several years and it is starting to not work as well as it used to.  I'd rather not increase my dosage.  I'm not really concerned with losing any weight, so my question is:  if I follow the SPD guidelines as far as snacks and low protein dinners, but not really pay attention to calories, will I still get the Serotonin boost?  Also, if I want to go out for ice cream in the midafternoon with my family, should I have a snack before that in addition to my other snacks?  Thank you! ???
Bipolar Disorder/Depression Medication / Rexulti?
« Last post by asd78 on July 17, 2017, 05:02:44 PM »
Hi, has anyone experienced rapid weight gain on Rexulti for MDD?  My doctor wants me to go on it as an add-on to my Zoloft, but I've read that one of the most common side effects is weight gain.
Thanks!
Ask Judy and Nina / Elevator speech
« Last post by janeaniebeanie on July 17, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
What is the "elevator speech" to explain what serotonin power diet is to medical professionals? I get a lot of strange looks when I try to explain it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10