Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: i am starting today-  (Read 20628 times)

megbel

i am starting today-
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:47 AM »
::)
hi there-
i have read my book and shopped for the staples. so, today 2/25 is my start date.
i am 41 and really obese. i am 5'6" and 228.8 lbs.
i am hypo thyroid on 120mg of armour daily. i suffer from depression and panic attacks.

i have NEVER been able to control or maintain ANY weight loss. i am in recovery from bulimia and need to be really careful.

i hope this plan will help me heal, become healthy, get fit and live a happy life.

i am going to see my dr. this afternoon because i have been having chest pains and other awful symptoms. i have been so down all of february, spending most afternoons and evenings in my bed. i need to get my life back.

so, that is me- starting SPD today.

anyone else out there?

best to all-
megbel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCF9DAQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCF9DAQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

alynnez

Re: i am starting today-
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:36:29 AM »
I have only been on this program for 2 weeks, but I love it, and I hope you find it one you can live with and that brings you peace and well being.  Take care, and hope your doctor visit comes out fine.  One this about this forum, it is filled with caring people who, although we may not be going through what you are, have our own special hells.  There is a lot of support here, don't be afraid to ask for it.

megbel

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
thank you so much for your kind words, alynnez-

how have your first 2 weeks been? any ideas or advice? do you feel good are you losing lbs?

what are your health/weight/exercise goals?

i am here, asking for support...i need it so very much.

thanks again-
megbel

[/url]

alynnez

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »
Hi, megbel - I read about the program in First, but decided to wait until I got the book to start, and I'm glad I did, since there are a lot of basics, and you really have to follow them .  I lost 3 pounds the first week, the second week I was scared to weigh since I had been out of town and only following the basic carb/protein/fruit breakfast, protein/veggie lunch, carb/veggie dinner and the carb snacks when I could, and watching portions.  But I couldn't control the fat content and did drink more wine than I should of.  I lost a pound!  I was so happy.  So, it works for me. 

I feel good, I am not a good sleeper but feel this is helping me sleep better.  I am in such a good mood, and little things don't bother me so much.  I have 50 pounds to lose, now 46.  I belong to Curves, I try to go 4 times a week, love it, feel great when I do it and can do it first thing in the a.m.  The ladies are all friendly and don't look like models, and we have a good time cuz we're all in the same boat.  Sort of like this forum!

I have lost so many times on other diets only to gain it all back plus, but I feel that's because I wasn't allowed to eat carbs and sweets, and I couldn't live like that.  I can live on this program.

Are you going to weigh in on Mondays or Fridays?  I use Fridays as my official weigh-in day, but I weigh throughout the week, especially both Thursday and Friday, because I have learned that sometimes water gain steps in on Fridays and when I know I lost 2 pounds on Thursday and it only shows 1 on Friday, I'm going to use Thursday's as my weekly loss! Also, weighing at the end of the week lets me relax a little on weekends.   

You've probably been to the doctor by now, and I hope you got some good news.  Keep in touch.

megbel

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
hi alynnez-

your post was great. just what i needed to hear.
congrats on your 4lb loss!!! it is wonderful to have been away and lost. well done. i am trying to nix all wine (and i adore my vino...) for as long as i can. i went to a 40th bash on sat nite, i was good. i had a spritzer pre-supper and 2 glasses of champagne during the open bar. normally i'd drink the bottle!!!

so for me giving up my daily wine is huge, but i cannot lose weight when i drink. so it will be only at special occasions for now. like, on wed nite when we have another party to attend. i'll nurse a spritzer or have a glass of bubbles.

i am glad you enjoy curves. i had one very close to me, but i joined a gym that had babysitting. i have 4 year old (and a 9 year old) and child care included was an incentive. i have been to the gym once this month. so my plan is to buy something for at home and try some other classes, kick boxing or yoga or WHATEVER!!!

i will weigh on mondays, officially-but i weigh throughout the week as well. i am a scale junkie. not good. i either never weigh, or weigh 3 times a day. MADNESS!!

my dr. is brilliant. i adore her. i just went in there and told her i was really rock bottom with my mood and food. she is very holistic, does not throw meds at people at all. so she took blood and told me to follow my SPD, if that is what i so choose. she doesn't know it, but says to just choose and lose!!!

well, here i am. trying it out.
i hope to have your fab success.

thanks-
meg

[/url]

flowerlady

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
I am starting today also.  I have ordered the book but it will be a couple of days before I get it. I reaa about it in First and will try to follow their suggestions. I would love suggestions of what to eat.  
This morning I had 1/2 c fat free cottage cheese with 1/2 c pineapple and 1 piece wheat toast.  Snack 2 rice cakes.  Lunch 3 oz tuna and green beans, snack 2 rice cakes.  For dinner I am having a baked potato with broc and cauliflower.
Is this OK?
Good luck everybody!!
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wFchZpe/weight.png

megbel

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:03 AM »
welcome flower lady!!!

hope your first day was a good one. your food plan sounds really good, except you should have a full 6oz of tuna with your lunch!! when you get your book you will see the different options and portion sizes for proteins, but choosing tuna allows you a large serving because the calories are lower than chicken or lean beef.

well done to you. i hope your copy of the book arrives really soon.
keep in touch!

megbel
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »
Hi flowerlady!  Welcome!  We are all fairly new - myself(feenlida), megbel, and alynnez.  So you are not alone in your quest!  My best recommendation is to wait to get the book - I tried to start with the FIRST article alone and ended up confused and not eating enough.  These are the guidelines, basically, for the first phase:

Breakfast: 10 g protein, 25g carbs, one serving of fruit (app. 200-225 cals total)
Lunch: 35 g protein + 2 cups of veggies
Dinner: 80 g carbs + 2 cups of veggies

Your three snacks: no more than 180 calories, no more than 3 g fat, and about 30-40g carbs and eating within then minutes

If you have a lot of weight to lose or find you are really hungry, follow the men's plan to begin:

Breakfast: 15 g protein, 25 g carbs, 1 serving of fruit
Lunch: 45-50 g protein, 2 cups veggies
Dinner: 100 g carbs, 2 cups veggies

Snacks: same as above, and you can have your after-dinner snack at dinnertime.

That should help!  Make sure you are getting enough of protein and carbs!  I wasn't before I got the book, and it made a big difference in how I felt.    Best of luck and keep in touch!   ;D

megbel

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »
good morning SPD newbies-

i am a serial weigher. especially in the throws of a brand new plan. so i am going to post my progress daily or every few days, if you can stand it. perhaps the will set up a blog section for us like on other sites???

on day 1 i ate:

1 light multi grain english muffin w/ smart balance organic soy spray.
1 fried egg.
4 ounces of orange juice.

1 cup of fat free pretzels.
1 fat free, diet cocoa.

1 tin of tuna in water.
a load of organic lettuce/greens.
a few tinned beet slices
a few tinned artichoke pieces.
2 tablespoons newmans own lighten up/ light italian dressing

1 1/4 cups cinnamon puffins cereal.

1 cup organic brown rice.
steamed mix of eggplant/zuccinni/mushrooms/french beans.
2 tbs. spinach dal.

1 light multigrain english muffin.
2 tsp. organic reduced sugar strawberry jam.
1 fat free diet cocoa.

i drank massive amounts  of filtered water and some crystal light lemonade.

weight: 226.4 mood: improved!!

i'd love to hear how everyone else is faring.
best-
megbel
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:58:38 AM by megbel »
[/url]

alynnez

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »
Good morning, early birds! 

Megbel, I congratulate you on looking out for yourself with the two children.  Sometimes we moms/wives put ourselves last and it really doesn't do anyone any good.  I don't know what type of exercise you like, hard workout, soft workout, walking, but if you can just do a little each day, even walking in place in your house for 10 minutes clapping your hands over your head, punching sideways, dancing, any movement at all really feels so good.  I'm the type that just has to get there, that's the hard part.  If I don't do it first thing in the a.m. I know I won't do it at all. 

Re your last post, the difference in the mood of your writing after your doctor's appt was amazing!  You are so upbeat and I can see you smiling!  YAY!!!

Flowerlady, welcome!  I agree with feenlida, I waited until I got the book to start and I was sure glad I did.  It is explained everythin so well, with portions, grams and can/can't haves all spelled out.  First was a great article, but no detail. 

I started a post under Success Stories that is called "I am so pleased with my results" or something like that.  I post my weekly joys there.  Why don't you start your own threads under there that you can post to and we can follow each other's progress individually from the beginning?  It's fun to look back at your own progress that way, also.

What I am finding is that I need to eat things I enjoy eating.  If I restrict myself to dull, boring meals, I will give up, because I need a life style change, not a quick fix.  Samples: 

Breakfast:  breakfast sandwiches with Thomas light multi-grain English muffins and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, seasoned egg beaters and low fat ham , and OJ. 

Lunches:  Luckily I love salads, so I make big salads and throw in some frozen seasoned chicken strips  or low fat deli meats and cheeses, or a can of tuna, with fat-free dressings.

Dinners:  Pasta with simmered veggies in the sauce, and salad with FF or low fat dressing or steamed broccoli with Butter Buds or the ICBINB spray.  Or two bean burritos on low fat tortillas using FF refried beans, with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and FF sour cream. 

Snacks:  Instead of cocktail hour (which I'm sure added 500 calories!) , I will have low fat baked tortilla chips and salasa or seasoned crackers with a diet tonic and just sit and read or just relax in the quiet.  Other snacks are English muffins with jam, pretzels, 4 pieces of red licorice, 100 calorie low fat bags of cookies or chips, and my two favorites for after dinner, fat free ice cream and fat free chocolate syrup or FF hot chocolate with marshmallows and a few FF cookies.  I do have more nutritious snacks also, but knowing I can eat these things, be really happy and still lose weight is a Godsend to me.

Didn't mean to ramble on, so I'll quit now!

megbel

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »
hi alynnez-

i AM feeling better since seeing my dr. yesterday AND starting this new eating plan. i think i really was rock bottom this past month. i am depressed. i know that. i have been here before. BUT taking these tiny, baby steps (SPD, seeing my dr., going for a walk, ordering a step machine, looking into classes, etc.) have enabled me to regain my hope. i think that i have lost myself over the past year or so. i lived in england for 10 years and have returned to the village i grew up in. it has been harder than i ever imagined. i miss my life in england terribly, BUT i missed my family here in the US and we wanted the girls to be with my folks more, so WE'RE BACK. i think i expected to much. and here i am very depressed and lonely.

so i am hoping that these changes will enable me to start living again, properly and healthfully.

i love your meal ideas.  it really helps to see what others are eating, it seems like loads. i worry that stage 2 & 3 will be hard with less food. can't i just stay in stage 1 forever??? i like it here.

i'll post in success stories when i feel like i am successful like yourself.
hopefully within the next few weeks i'll make it there!

thanks again-
meg

[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 03:38:24 PM »
hi girls!  megbel, I think someone acutually posted something about staying in phase I, it seems to me it was ok, but check on the boards, I know there is a post there somewhere about it. 

Anyway - I don't know that I have the energy to sit here and type my entire menu out for each day, but I am willing to throw out any great meal ideas I come up with!  I already keep an online journal at Spark People.com with all of my dietary intake and writing journal.  I will post my weight loss - when I have any! 

Dinner tonight is yummy for me - penna rustica - it is whole grain pasta, mixed in with roasted zuchinni, roasted peppers, roma tomatoes, olives, artichoke hearts (optional), and sun-dried tomatoes in water (optional), a bit of parmesean cheese, and fresh basil - it does call for grilled chicken as well, but I will just not eat that part - my hubby likes it with the chicken, as do it, but I will wait for the next phase to do that!  This is VERY yummy!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »
Just to jump in quickly here: yes, you can stay in phase I as long as you want (if you find you've lost enough weight and just want to maintain, increase portions of your meals.  But eventually, most people go to phase 2 and 3 because of several reasons:
1. They miss the evening protein
2. They don't need 3 snacks a day
3. They need to consume slightly fewer calories to keep losing weight (phase I has slightly more calories than the other two phases because as you lose weight, you don't need as many calories (or, to put it another way, you need to eat slightly fewer calories to lose weight)

I thrilled to see how much support you offer each other and how willing you all are to share your stories and experiences!

bonnie

How many calories each meal
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 04:43:57 PM »
???  How many calories each meal. I just finished the book, and started the diet yesterday. I am also confused with beans, soymilk...does vege protein count as protein. Can one put soymilk or milk on a cereal snack, if the cereal already has a bit of protein in it?

megbel

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:50:22 PM »
hi there-

to bonnie-
my understanding is no protein w/ the pure carb snacks. so no cows milk or soy milk. the proteins in the milk will counter act the serotonin surge we are so after. i am sure someone else will explain this properly...the snack has to be starchy, carby on it's own.

to dr. nina-
i am very curious about this 'staying' in phase one for longer than 2 weeks. i have loads of weight to lose. (80-100lbs, really). will the plan be different for someone who is severely obese as opposed to 20lbs? i need to do this as optimally as possible. is there a way to jump start or lose more quickly? do you lose more initially if you are very heavy? i am desperate to have this work properly for me, but i fear it taking years at 1lb a week...

to feenlida-
i do not plan to log my food journal here either, i just thought a day in the life of SPD might give us an idea of what is working for folks, etc.penne rustica sounds scrumptious!!! i'll have to try that one very soon.

well off to prepare supper for my ladies and gent.
have a great evening all-
megbel
[/url]