Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: i am starting today-  (Read 20629 times)

feenlida

Re: i am starting today-
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »
Hi again, and welcome Bonnie!  Wow!  we have a lot new people joining us!  I agree with megbel on the protein comment - it does interfere with the serotonin production. 

Megbel - I know you want to lose quickly, but you really are better off losing it slowly - better odds of keeping it off.  Also, it has been my experience that people with a lot of weight to lose generally lose more to start, so you may lose 4-5 lbs the first week.  I have read that quite a few times on these boards.  Any loss is better than a gain!  Yeah, I will definitely post my yummy recipes on here!  I am always looking for something new. 

Bonnie - the calorie breakdown is as follows:
Breakfast 200- 225 cals
Lunch 250-300 cals
Dinner 375-450 cals
Snacks - no more than 180 cals., no more than 3g fat, and 30-40 g car

Hope that helps!

megbel

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »
hi feenlida-

you're right, you're right, you are right and i know it!! i just have such a hard time breaking old, destructive patterns. i need to trust the plan and my body and i am not there yet. i guess i want a guarantee and we both know i am not going to get one. my commitment and hard work will be my only guarantee...

i have gained 40lbs since june.(OMG, i am mortified to post this awful truth.) it took me almost 9 months. i am hoping to lose it by july 1st, that is my first goal. it is an average of about 1.8 lbs a week. then i will continue on to lose the next 40lbs by thanksgiving. i am hoping to lose about 80lbs in 9 months. i wonder if it is possible on this plan?

i intend to find out.

i booked my first kickboxing session for saturday morning. hooray for me!
what is your exercise regime right now? mine has gone from 4-5 days at the gym to walking the dog.
i need to get my act together.

have a great night....i am looking forward to my snack.
megbel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCF9DAQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCF9DAQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

bonnie

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »

Have not lost anything yet, but have not gained! In spite of eating sweets! It has only been a couple days and my poor old body is beside itself with joy from the Serotonin Surge! I feel better than ever before...including the Celexa that I used to take, and the best part is I easily said "no" to ICE CREAM last night.....my "good intentions" Hubby, always there to "help". However, I easily was able to say "NO", cheerfully, to my favorite snack, one of the reasons I find myself 35 pounds over what I would like to weigh. :)

megbel

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 07:52:47 AM »
;Dhooray for saying NO to ice cream bonnie.
this is a wonderful plan & very soon you may like to add fat free frozen yogurt or a skinny cow ice cream. you can still have a frozen treat.

i am on day 3.

weight: 225.8
mood: much improved, energy is up.
sleep: from 11:15 til 6:50, without waking up in the night!!!

i have a dinner w/ my 2 oldest friends tonight. at a wonderful mexican restaurant in NYC.
no this will be a challenge!

hope everyone is super and surging.
megbel
[/url]

bonnie

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »
Thanks Megbel.
Went out to dinner last night, and swithched lunch and dinner, so I could enjoy a nice piece of salmon. Skipped the potatoe and bread, but did have salad and asparagus and a lemon sherbet for dessert. Lunch was a portabella sandwich with cut up veges, and melon dessert, as I had only milk and cereal for breakfast. I think it is okay to switch once in a while isn't it. Anyway, I finally dropped a bit over a pound! Here goes day four. Again, I must switch, as my friends and I are going out for a Polish dinner this afternoon. I shall just do vegan, like yesterday, and shrimp and salad tonight. This is a great diet by the way. I have upped my treadmill from 20 to 30 minutes, as I have energy, and have been skipping my daily nap! Yes, I am retired, and have a heart condition, but feel great this week. So happy to find this diet!!!!! Ohhhhhthe snacks. Yesterday was a granola bar...lo fat at 11, and a cup of cheerios, dry, at 4:30, and late night was a fat and sugar free fudge popsicle. I know we do not need sugar free, but that was what I had, and since
I had that lemon sherbet earlier....probalbly should have skipped evening snack altogether....
Bonnie ;D

megbel

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 10:05:25 AM »
hi bonnie-

you are doing great. congrats on your loss, ALREADY!!

i love hearing about what other people are using food wise and how you manage the plan.

i am sure it is fine to mix things up a bit.

whatever works for you, keep it up.

have a good day-
megbel
[/url]

philly2008

• Me and DH
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »
Hi girls, ya'll sound like me, I had to get FIRST when I saw that article; I am 50 years old and I am trying to loose 20lbs more; it doesnt sound like much but I just cant do it, I lost 11 lbs in one year on WW, I had to change my eatting habits because of high cholesterol and I love to drink, but I havent broke that bad habit yet!!  LOL!!  I work my second job at a gym so I have free membership and I work out 4-6 times a week, and it is hard to keep doing this sometimes.

I started today, I ordered the book, all your posts were very helpful.

hugs to all of you!!!
One Day at a time!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wsKyAw7/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wsKyAw7/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

flowerlady

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
Hi all,

Still waiting on my book but trying to do this as well as possible with the First article and all of your help.  I have been getting great suggestions for meals and snacks.  I haven't weighed since Monday but I don't feel any lighter.  I do feel good,though.  I started exercising which I know will be a miracle if I keep it up. I started at 189 and would be happy at 140-150.  I am 5'6" and can handle alot of weight.
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wFchZpe/weight.png

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 06:18:42 PM »
Hi all, you're so helpful to each other!  You can switch lunch and dinner occasionally, but remember that serotonin levels are naturally lower in the afternoon and evening so that's why you eat the carbs later in the day and protein earlier.  Although some people feel more stressed earlier in the day (like a school teacher) so that may be when you need the serotonin more - listen to your body. 

And yes, people with more weigh to lose lose faster in the beginning.  Keep with it, you will lose and keep it off.  It's important to establish the habits and the pattern of eating and you will do well. 

By the way, you can get the book on amazon very quickly if you order one of the new or used copies listed on the book page on amazon - they're reliable vendors.  Amazon is taking forever to get restocked but Rodale sent a ton of books to meet the demand almost 2 weeks ago - we don't understand but it's frustrating not to have the book available.

- Nina

Zoe

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »
I ordered my book from Amazon last week, without realizing that delivery would be delayed.  When it didn't arrive by Monday, I revisited my order and saw that it would not be available for weeks!  I checked my local bookstore but was unable to find a copy.  I even went to the library...nada!  Finally, I looked on eBay for a copy.  A seller there has hundreds available for $13.something plus shipping.  I was notified yesterday that it was shipped.  Hopefully it will be here in a few days.

feenlida

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
I ordered my book on Amazon for $8, and it was here within 5 days!  I have always been pleased with their vendors. 

Anyway, someone had posted about exercise regimine....this is one of the places I am not lacking...exercising, for me, has become like brushing my teeth!  I walk on the treadmill 4 days a week for about 40mins, then I do resistance training at Curves 3 days a week (every other day) for 30 mins.  I am glad I have that in place.....you would think that someone who exercises as much as I do woudldn't be overweight, right?  Well, I have always said that I know what I need to eat, I just don't do it! 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »
Exercise burns fewer calories than we think (and think how easy it is to consume tons of calories in minutes!) but exercise is important for other reasons - great that you do it, I hope you enjoy it either while doing it or the feeling afterwards (as in, yes my body feels good, or yes, I'm so happy it's over).

Great you got such a bargain on amazon.

bonnie

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 07:27:56 AM »
Can a half cup of milk be added to a cup of cheerios at snack time, or does one need to eat them dry?

megbel

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »
hi bonnie-

it has to be a pure carb, so DRY cereal only. milk has protein in it and it will inhibit the serotonin production, and you will not feel 'better' or have your appetite satiated.

i know, i know....i love to have cereal and milk before bedtime sometimes. now i have tea and toast w/jam or a diet cocoa and biscotti.

best to you, hope this helps-
megbel
[/url]

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »
Megbel, you're 100% right.  In theory.  It's true the cereal should be eaten dry.  But on occasion 1/4 cup milk would be OK as long as it's not a high-protein cereal as a little protein will not entirely inhibit serotonin production.