Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Just Starting  (Read 5440 times)

lisabb

Just Starting
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:57:30 PM »
I am still waiting on my book.  Hopefully it will get here soon. 

I am 43 years old, 5 foot tall and 150 pounds.  I have been off of anti-depressant for 5 or 6 years, but still can not loose the weight.  It is frustrating.  When you try to explain to doctors (or anybody for that fact) that the weight is a result of the anti-depressants, they just look at you and tell you to exercise and eat right.  Nothing really has worked for me.  I am not a big overeater.  I eat less now then I did when I weighed 100 pounds.  I am so glad  ;D that I finally found this book and site.

I have the low carb mind set now.  I eat a lot of protein.  I am a teacher and have been off work for about a month now due to Christmas break and snow.  Most days I eat 1200 calories or less.  I have not loss any weight.

I am very excited about starting this diet.  I love potatoes.  I use to eat them everyday.  I fixed my husband supper and told him I was eating potatoes for supper, that it was a new diet.  His response was that I could not loose weight and eat a lot of potatoes.  I want to loose the weight and said I told you so!

I have read a lot of the older post.  I wish I knew more about the diet so that I could go shopping and get ready for next week. 

Lisa

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Just Starting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:03:20 AM »
Welcome! 

For people who have denied themselves carbs, this diet is such a relief!  Are you bingeing on carbs at all?  Many people who report low calorie intake and carb restriction often binge every once in a while thus cancelling out the calorie restriction and it becomes a frustrating cycle that certainly does not result in weight loss.

I am always excited for people about to start The Serotonin Power Diet when the science resonates with their own experiences as it does for you - I'm glad you're starting to put some of the principles in place even before officially starting the diet and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

We hear from many people that their physicians deny the correlation between antidepressants and weight gain - it is a widely accepted (and stated) side effect of so many medications!  I don't fault the physicians, though, who feel they have nothing to offer their patients who have experienced medication-related weight gain - we would like everyone in the medical profession to know about The Serotonin Power Diet which would be music not only to their ears, but even moreso, to their patients.

By the way, ask your husband to let you know how your mood is when you are on the diet (and let us know!)

Again, welcome, and I wish you a wonderful weight loss journey.

- Nina

lisabb

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:46:09 PM »
I couldn't wait on my book anymore!!!  It is not suppose to be here until Friday.  I went in town today and bought anyone.  So now I will have two.  Starting to read it tonight.  I bought a lot of snacks.  Snacking 3 times a day will be a big change. 

Laughing Whitefish

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 08:49:36 PM »
Hi, Lisabb,

Welcome!  You are going to love those potatoes!!  And the rice...and the crackers, and the bread, and the cereal...I hope you have fun along the way!  Proving the husband wrong is always a pleasure!!  So is the discovery that this is a great diet.  Well, you are set with your book, your snacks, your disbelieving husband...Enjoy those carbs and the weight loss!  I bet that you will be like the rest of us... thinking that we will eat this way forever.

Best wishes,

Heather

lisabb

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
I have a problem.  I teach 2nd grade.  I have lunch at 10:50.  I do not have a chance to eat a snack an hour before lunch.  Can I eat it an hour and a half after lunch and still get the same effect?  (that is when my break is)  Can I eat like a peppermint?  Or is there something I can add to my water?

Help......

happyme2be

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:02:27 PM »
Hi lisabb - i am too much of a newbie to give much advice - but I am here to just to encourage and say hello and best of luck, I am enjoying the plan. My carb cravings are mostly gone and I'm on day 4.

I think you can use sports gels to get instant carbs serving - maybe they would help, they are small and can fit in a pocket even. Alot of long distance bicyclists use them. Take a look in local sporting goods -
Ali

lisabb

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »
Everyone just looks at me when I try to tell them about the diet.  I think I need to be quiet until they start noticing the wieght loss.  I'm going to look on the web to see if I can find the carb gels.  I can turn my back for a minute to eat them and the kids will never know.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Lisa

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
Hi!
I love how you give each other such support and encouragement!

So, yes, you can use "gu" and other sports gels, but another option is to combine your snack and your lunch at 10:50.  Then have late afternoon snack and dinner as usual.  Or you can eat just protein and fruit at breakfast and then eat your breakfast carb and your late morning carb snack at 10:50.  Then have lunch after school (protein and veggies) followed by dinner consisting of snack and dinner portions of carbs if your dinnertime is early enough, or wait 3 hours after your protein meal to have snack followed by dinner and then after-dinner snack.

The only thing that matters is that you wait 3 hours after eating protein to have a carb snack or meal that is meant to elevate serotonin levels - if you have protein on board, your brain will not make serotonin and the carbs will only give you calories but not the serotonin you need to curb your appetite and balance your mood.

Let us know what you find works best for you,
Nina

lisabb

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 09:47:24 PM »
[left]This is a plan that I have come up with.  See if it will work.

Eating schedule

7:30 am breakfast protein

10:50 am snack/lunch carbs

1:00 pm snack protein when possible

4:00 pm snack carb (protein when did not get 1 pm snack)

6:00 pm dinner carbs (7pm when did not get 1 pm snack)

A couple of questions.

Are milk, cheese, sour cream proteins? 
If they are, then if I eat cereal with milk then that won't count as a carb snack? 
Can you have sour cream on a baked potato?

Still working on which foods I can eat together.  I did good today until dinner time.  We went to the food court and the potato factor was out of baked potatoes. ??? So I got aggravated and order a piece of pizza with some cheese.  There was not a lot of cheese.  The whole time all I could think about was what should I have gotten.  Gotta work on eating out.

Thanks for your help!
Lisa

[url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker][img]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/ticker/show/48/5759/485759.png[/img][/url]
  Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free [url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com]Calorie Counter[/url]
[/left]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:29:37 PM by lisabb »

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:33:17 PM »
Great you lost 3 pounds!

Your eating plan sounds good, I recommend trying to get protein in earlier rather than later in the day but try it out and see how it works for you.

You can eat pizza - but scrape off all of the cheese (you'll still get oil from the cheese on the crust).  You can always get plain white rice and steamed vegetables (not stir-fried!) or broth-type soup with vegetables from an asian restaurant at the food court (avoid the noodles which are oily).

Choose fat free dairy products when possible - count them as protein.  If you have cereal with milk for snack, use 1/4 cup milk (no, it's not very much!) otherwise you'll get too much protein.

Nina