Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: starting again!!!  (Read 2576 times)

weplant

starting again!!!
« on: January 24, 2010, 02:36:51 PM »
Well, I am back...I was on Lexapro for 1 1/2 years and gained around 20 pounds..I did the SPD in 2008 and lost some weight, although very slow. I went off the Lexapro in April of 2009 and have not lost a single pound..I started back on Lexapro last week..I really need it for anxiety/panic disorder..However, i am so afraid of gaining even more weight. So, I am going to start SPD right now!!! I really am a healthy eater, so cannot understand this weight gain. Of course I am now 56 and the menopause thing does not help.
I will not get on the scale as I am afraid I will get so upset., so for now I will judge the changes by the way my clothes fit...

Has anyone heard that the weight gain is because the SSRI's screw up your metabolism?? I hope not...
Well, I wish everyone the best with their weight loss and I hope I can get some great support from this forum...Thanks, Debbie

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: starting again!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:43 PM »
Hi Debbie - welcome back!

Great you had success on this plan in 2008 so at least you know it works for you even if the weight loss was slow - feeling like you CAN lose weight, your mood is balanced, your cravings satisfied, etc. is so empowering.

Great you're getting the medications you need - good for you for taking care of yourself.

There are still many unknowns in the area of medications and weight gain but I am not familiar with any research stating that the medications cause a change in metabolism.  Tracking your intake (including calorie intake ONLY IF you find it helpful) and noticing how your clothes fit and how you feel is an excellent approach - in some cases, the number on the scale can cause overeating if you lose (because you want a reward), you stay the same (because you think the diet is not working), or or you gain (because you've already blown your diet anyway).  Much better to focus on the process, the overall trend, and all that you CAN control rather than a number which can fluctuate quite a bit day to day.

If you haven't already, you might consider joining our Serotonin Power Diet facebook fan page where we hope it will be easier for a more interactive dialogue to develop among our readers, clients, and me and Judy.

All my best,
Nina