Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: New to diet  (Read 1796 times)

nkelley

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
New to diet
« on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:03 PM »
Hello there,

I have read the book and am excited to start this journey.  I am done with being overweight due to being on antidepressants that I cannot seem to function without.  I have tried many low carb diets and just could not maintain them even for 3 days. It was excruciating.  So, I really want this to work, and it looks like it might be just the thing for me. 

I would like to start off ready so I do not jeopardize the diet. 
I think there are two things that will make me feel more ready for this journey:

1.  Is there anyone new who is planning to start the diet soon?

2. Is there an existing grocery list for beginners?  I was going to create my own from examples from the book but I figured I can check first if this is something already available.

Thank you so much! 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: New to diet
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 06:28:59 AM »
Hi, and welcome!

I applaud these first steps you're taking to feel better about yourself and to prepare yourself for success.  Those decisions make a big difference in charting your path - and for keeping you going when the going gets a little rough. 

Many readers and clients report the same thing, that low carb diets are the worst when you're on an antidepressant so I truly hope that the serotonin-boosting carbs allow you to feel good - and your appetite satisfied - while on the Serotonin Power Diet.

Sharing the path with someone else can be really helpful, so I hope others reach out in response so they, too, can get the support they need - and not feel so alone on their journey.  Like with any goals, it's empowering to go for something that means something to you, but at the same time, it's not always easy to put yourself out there and not fall into old habits which, when it comes to weight, if you keep doing the same thing, you keep getting the same results. 

We do not have a standard shopping list as many of the foods are very "every day" foods.  Having portioned out snacks can really help, either in the form of a prepackaged snack like a mini bag of pretzels or low fat granola bar, or even something like portioned out leftover rice or pasta from the night before or a small potato you cook in the microwave.

What might be helpful is to get started with a few meals and snacks and land on a few stand-by meals and snacks that are easy and convenient.  You can alter them with spices, or switch one ingredient here and there.  If you have specific questions about what to eat, let us know what you're already eating and we can help you fine-tune.

Here's to a great start!
Nina

MAM76

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
Hi, I'm also new to this. I haven't finished reading the book yet, so I don't really have a firm plan in place at the moment, but I might try to 'loosely' start following the basic principles and keep them in mind when I pick up groceries today. 

This sounds like a big shift for me, because I am trying to lose weight (went back on antidepressants recently and was already overweight to begin with  :( ) and kept fearing carbs -- though I wasn't on a low/no carb diet, just trying to watch them. I've been trying to exercise and watch what I eat but the scale doesn't seem to move.  The idea of not being able to have a sandwich for lunch at work (a really convenient item) or protein for dinner is a bit daunting, but we'll see! Fortunately my partner is vegetarian so he has no problem not having meat for dinner, but sometimes we have vegetarian protein items at dinner, so I'll have to be careful about that (like veggie burgers that would have too much protein for the diet, I think).  Also, I doubt I'll be able to pull off eating that much veggies at dinner. (I could pull off salads for lunch -- though every day seems a bit much.)  I work full-time and am not a creative meal planner, so this might be tough. I dislike the lack of fruit and healthy fats in the diet as well. 

Hopefully once I finish the book I can set my mind to coming up with a firmer plan.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
Hi, and welcome!

I'm glad to read that you're taking care of yourself, like taking antidepressants that can be helpful for you and starting The Serotonin Power Diet by loosely following it in ways that are manageable.  Both are terrific! It's great you're exercising - try changing things up to challenge your body, do something fun, and if you don't have injury, try occasionally doing something at high intensity but for shorter periods of time - it can be a great way to get results.  Again, if you don't have injuries!

It's a positive to recognize the challenges you might face on this eating plan - it's not easy to make changes!  Hopefully the results will make the efforts worthwhile and be motivating.  Specifically:

1. Yes, sandwiches are convenient for lunch: how about using lettuce as the bread?  Fill it with deli meats, pre-seasoned tofu, tunafish, eggs, etc. and salad. 

2. For dinner, just make sure you've got plenty of wholesome carbs in your dinner meal, but if once in a while you have a high-protein veggie burger (hopefully you can choose the lowest protein versions and your partner can supplement with canned beans perhaps to get more protein if necessary), don't worry about it.  Beans are so healthy and delicious!

3. If you can't manage that much vegetable at dinner, have a serving or 2 of fruit instead once in a while.  Or a can of low-sodium V8 (not my personal favorite but it works for some people).

4. We recommend you can add one T of healthy fat a day, like nuts, avocado, olive oil, etc. but if you are otherwise eating very low fat foods, and it would make a difference for you in in sticking with the diet, you can add 2 T of healthy oils / fats to your diet a day.  Just watch your weight loss rate - if you plateau (or even gain!), you'll have to go back to one T a day. 

I know these changes can seem daunting, but I'm sure you've heard this: if you want different results, you have to do something different.  The good news is, if you make changes and follow the diet, you will get different results (the ones you want: weight loss and hopefully feeling good about yourself!).  Choose for yourself in the big picture, not the immediate - it'll be worth it!

Wishing you all the best - please keep us posted,
Nina

Jayme8453

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:47:34 AM »
Hi! I am just starting the plan too. I have never been a "dieter" so following an eating plan is a bit scary. But the extra lbs I gained on ssri's need to come off. I was wondering if there are any protein options for lunch that don't involve a lot of prep work. I'm not a big fan of a lot of "lunch protein" options. Does low fat yogurt count?

Thanks and good luck to everyone else just starting the plan!

MAM76

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »
Hi Nina,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, the exercise is so important!  I just have to get better at doing it more often. I'm getting more walking in each day - such as walking to a further bus stop on my way to/home from work, which helps for those times I don't get to the gym (which has been often lately!). I also walk the dog sometimes, though she's getting old and mostly likes to stop and sniff everything.  :D  I've seen a personal trainer at the gym once per the last 2 months and she has given me some routines that combine 15 mins of cardio (e.g. on elliptical) with calisthenics/strength training, and it's been helpful.

I like the idea of having some fruit if I don't get enough veggies. I was worried that the diet seemed to limit fruit, but having an apple here and there would be great.

I think you mention this in the book, but lentils for dinner would be okay, despite the protein content?  My boyfriend makes a lentil & rice 'meatloaf' or lentil & potato shepherd's pie, which would seem to be good dinner carb options as long as I watch portion sizes.

Thanks again!
Michelle

MAM76

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:01:05 PM »
Hi Jayme,

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but I find having a can of tuna (that was canned in water) in a salad at lunch to be a convenient option.  If you chop a bunch of salad veggies ahead of time (like on the weekend) and store them, then you can just quickly throw them and the tuna on lettuce -- or even package your salad containers ahead of time and just throw the tuna on later.  I've basically been having salads with protein for the last 4 days at lunch because I'm not very creative! But I'm busy at work so I wouldn't have much time for anything more complicated anyway.  I also pre-cook chicken and then throw some diced chicken on salads as another option.

Good luck!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
These are great lunch suggestions, Michelle!

Your trainer seems to have given you great advice.  So often, less is more if it means you do something regularly, especially if you push yourself (without risk for injury, of course) in intervals either with strength training or aerobic bursts.  Personally, I love home DVD's or You Tube exercise segments - there are so many to choose from and ultra-convenient.

I'm glad you think incorporating more fruit will make the plan more sustainable and manageable for you!

Sure, lentils, especially with rice and potatoes, is fine for dinner.  Lentils, like many beans, are about 50% carbs, 50% protein so with rice and/or potatoes you should be fine.  Beans are great in so many ways and you won't go wrong with them (they can also count as your lunch protein).