Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Prozac and weight gain  (Read 951 times)

Candice1013

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Prozac and weight gain
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:30:39 AM »
Hi  I just read the book and I am in day 3 of phase 1 diet. I have  been on 10mg of Prozac for 7months and gained about 5lbs(I know not much) but I work out 4-6days a week with combining weight training and cardio.  I eat clean and watch my calories. I have been this way for about 5 years.  Going through a stressfull time and gaining a few lbs along with a hormonal imbalance(no period for a long time) my doctor and I decided to try low dose antdepressant. I immediately got my period back, started sleeping better and handling life better. Well my hunger has been a problem and I have binged on carbs and now gained more weight. So I did research and found this sight and thought I would give it a try. Well I weighed myself the 1st day and again today(day 3) and I have gained 6 more pounds????? What the heck is going on??

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Prozac and weight gain
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
Hi, and welcome.  Wow, gaining weight - 6 pounds! - is the last thing one would expect when starting a weight loss program.  Before you panic and abort your efforts entirely, I hope I can shed some light on this and help you find a way to make it work for you. 

Do you feel good (calm, energized, no cravings, mentally focused, sleeping well, etc.) so far on the Serotonin Power Diet?  If so, it means you are responding well to boosting your brain serotonin which is a good thing in the long term.

How much weight are you aiming to lose?  The more you have to lose the faster it comes off.  The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off, and you need to consume less food to lose it and keep it off.

Were you eating a low-carb diet before starting the SPD?  We occasionally see weight gain in people who have been restricting carbs and then when they eat carbs again there is associated water weight gain.  Once the body is used to the new diet, the weight stabilizes and you lose weight.

It sounds like you've got a great workout program going - that's fantastic.

You have to see what way of eating works for you - you could do a modified version of the diet if it doesn't suit you entirely.  I would recommend going right to phase I now.  You could also increase protein at breakfast and skip the breakfast carb, and you might need just a late afternoon snack (that's what happens in phase 3).

Please answer any of the above questions you think would be helpful - and keep us posted!

Nina