Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: I stopped measuring food, and it ruined me!!  (Read 258 times)

NurseCathy

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
I stopped measuring food, and it ruined me!!
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:22:53 PM »
Phase 1 and the first week of Phase 2 were going SO well for me - and THEN...last week was Nurses Week and I'm a school nurse in a school with very kind and generous families so I got A LOT of goodies, took them home, and it's hard to resist them. I also stopped measuring my food during this week because it was a hectic week.  Last weekend we went camping so I did the best I could with estimating, brought my planned snacks, but when night fell I couldn't resist the s'mores.  And since I wasn't home last weekend, I didn't meal plan for this week.  I realized I NEED to plan and I NEED to measure if I'm going to continue being successful. The biggest challenge for me is "life" getting in the way!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: I stopped measuring food, and it ruined me!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
Dear Nurse Cathy,

First of all I have to say it's very very sweet the families brought in goodies for you :-) But then, yes, it's hard to resist temptations.  It's very important to enjoy life's pleasures and sharing food and treats with others is a must - the key is to plan ahead. For example, the next time you go camping, consider cutting down the portion of dinner carbs and aim for lots of veggies (or fruits if that's easier while camping) and make s'mores a big part of your dinner.  With tempting treats around, you can swap out some of the "healthy" carbs in a snack or meal and have the treat - then share the rest with neighbors or friends or co-workers, or wrap the treats up as single servings and keep them in the fridge for a later time.

And yes, great observation how important it is to measure portions - it helps put other planning measures in place to do so. 

And I completely hear you on how "life" can get in the way!  I wonder if it would help to see what your "vulnerable" times or moments are.  For example, when I'm on the computer for too many hours, I am sooooo tempted to bring snacks and I want to eat mindlessly - since I know this, I make a point to get up from the computer when I feel that stressed / drained feeling and try to remind myself that whatever task at hand I have on my screen, it's not as important as my well-being and being stressed and drained is not OK with me.  You get the idea: if you can observe and then choose what is nurturing and energizing for you in the big picture, you might be able to say "no" to those life situations that drain you and make it difficult to stick to your well-intentioned plans. 

Wishing you more success to build on the beginning few weeks.  I hope you can look at everything since nurse's week as a learning opportunity - this is a journey and ever-evolving.  Define your success - and go for it!

Nina

NurseCathy

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
  :)Wow thank you so much for your thoughtful response!!  Your suggestions and encouragement were exactly what I needed to hear.  I can definitely pinpoint my vulnerable time of day which is after dinnertime.  My coworker says she "leaves the kitchen" after dinner and doesn't return.  I will try and think of a relaxing activity I can do after dinner such as reading with my kids, taking a bath, or doing some sewing upstairs.  Thanks again so much!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »
That all sounds great - I know, easier said than done to break habits because change is hard, and can be scary to lose what's familiar.  That "leap of faith" to put yourself out there and open yourself to connection with your kids, having some fun, nurturing yourself, pursuing something you enjoy, etc. can be so rewarding.  Go for it - we all deserve to allow ourselves a life we enjoy and that matters to us!