Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Not Enough Guidance  (Read 150 times)

javalover

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Not Enough Guidance
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
Hello...I've been on Lexapro two different times for anxiety.  The first time, I was on for 18 months and gained 15 pounds, even though I was trying to keep to my weight using high protein which had always made me lose before.  I weaned off and was off for 18 months and only lost a few pounds.  I had to go back on because the jerks at work who cause the severe anxiety just don't stop.  That being said, I've now been on 10 mg of Lexapro again for about 7 months and am starting to gain again...just adding on to what I gained before.  So I picked up the few pounds I took off and am still gaining.  I can't wear many of my clothes and had a huge wardrobe that I don't want to replace.  I have to take this off and am considering going off the meds again and just taking the anxiety.  The thing is, I didn't lose when I went off before.  What kind of stuff is this?  This will be the second time I've tried the Serotonin Power Diet but I find it just doesn't have enough guidance.  Like...can I have cream in my coffee, can I have artificial sweetener in my tea.  Can I drink these things between meals and snacks?  Also, a shopping list would be nice.  It is very difficult to create anything but a very bland diet for a busy person and the protein at lunch time is very difficult.  Wish it was switched with the dinner, but understand the chemistry of why it can't be. Will this work?  I feel desperate.  I am disgusted that these people I work with caused me to have to take a med that made me gain weight. 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Not Enough Guidance
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
Hello and welcome back - thanks for sharing your story. 

The fewer added calories you have, the more likely it is you'll lose weight.  So, we recommend only up to one Tablespoon of added fats (which includes cream in your coffee) per day. 

Yes, you can have as much artificial sweetener as you like - people have different levels of tolerance for it so listen to your body.

Many people have been used to having more starchy carbs earlier in the day and protein in the evening so we understand why flipping it can be difficult at first.  You're right, the brain chemistry is why it's flipped in The Serotonin Power Diet and we know for many it works to curb appetite and allow them to feel more satisfied and lose weight so we hope that will be incentive enough for you to make the switch. 

Have you looked into mindfulness as a way to counterbalance anxiety-producing situations?

Nina