Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Lexapro and Candida Gut Infection  (Read 134 times)

MandyE

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Lexapro and Candida Gut Infection
« on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
Good Morning,

I was hoping you could help me out on my recovery journey.  I am recovering from almost a year of Lymes antibiotic treatment.  The lymes finally seems to have been resolved.  But as a result of the antibiotic treatments I have been left with a Candida infection in my gut.  Due a large amount of anxiety and some depression I was also put on Lexapro to help me through all that I have been through.  The lexapro has helped tremendously and I don't want to stop taking it but have gained weight very quickly while on it and have tremendous sugar cravings and never feeling like I am full.  However, the increased sugar has not helped the Candida growth.  I am on Nystatin to help with the Candida and have been instructed to significantly reduce my carbohydrate intake and to stick with limited fruits and sweet potatoes, so I can get rid of the Candida.  However, I end up craving and craving sweets and coke.  I feel like I am in between a rock and hard place and am hoping you can help me out.  I have also landed into the pre-diabetic category (A1C is 5.7).  But I know that I my body needs carbohydrates and many times sweet potatoes just don't cut it.  I did not have this much of an issue with sweets prior to starting Lexapro but like I said I don't want to stop taking Lexapro, its really helping but I also need to deal with the weight gain and the Candida.  Thank you for any help or advice it is really appreciated.  I would like to start the Serotonin Power Diet but need advice in regards to how it will affect my blood glucose levels and Candida.  Or if it is not advised for me to try it until the Candida is under control.

MandyE

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Re: Lexapro and Candida Gut Infection
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 07:13:48 AM »
Good Morning,

I am so excited to be starting the SPD this morning!  I read the book last week and have been exploring the forum, which I have found to be very helpful.  I did still have a few questions I was hoping you could help me with.

1. My meal breakdown is as follows.  I have a large gap between my lunch and dinner and I am wondering if there is anything I could place between my afternoon snack and my dinner if I need one, because this tends to be when I go home and binge on snacks.
Breakfast: 6:30
Snack: 9:30
Lunch: 10:30 (I am a teacher so lunch time is set for us.)
Snack: 2:00
Dinner: 6:00
Snack: 9:00?  I actually am in bed by 9.  Could I put this snack an hour before dinner?

2. While looking through the forum I have found that many people have asked about using whole foods (non-processed) for snacks.  Could you give me examples that I could use?  I still like the idea of my fig newtons and graham crackers but I also understand the point of focusing on non-processed foods (will also probably help more with my blood glucose levels and Candida).  Will the non-processed foods still have the same effect for serotonin?  I know that the processed foods produce a quick insulin response will non-processed food like a sweet potato or brown rice produce the same results?

3.  The last question I have is about nutrient breakdown for meals.  I would like to try and utilize different carbohydrates for breakfast and dinner than those listed in the book but I didn't find any guidelines in the book for these carbs.  Could you direct me to where in the book it says approximately how many grams of carbs, fat, protein, etc that my breakfast and dinner carbohydrate portion should have, or let me know, please.

Thank you so much for your help!  I am really excited and optimistic to start this diet.  The paleo diet was very hard for me to stick to with all of these carb cravings and eating non-stop.  Hoping this will help get that back under control and help me loose some weight in the process.  Have a great day!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 02:51:03 PM »
Hello and welcome!  Thank you for sharing all of your experiences so as to be able to understand the factors you are considering as you are starting this program.  I hope you have gotten some insight into what works for you in terms of timing, satisfying your cravings and appetite, and controlling the candida.  I'll address your questions:

1. The outline of your emails and snacks is great.  Yes, you can have the 3rd snack before dinner for example, around 4pm.  Another option is an earlier dinner such as at 4 or 5pm, and then around 7pm, for example, you could have the 3rd snack.  In Phases II and III, there is not evening snack (unless you absolutely need it in general or on certain days to avoid bingeing and/or if you have strong cravings after dinner).

2. Yes, indeed, less-processed foods will still allow your brain to make serotonin.  It is true that the surge will not be as dramatic as when you eat processed foods because in the latter the release of sugar into your system is greater.  However, given the relatively small amounts of carbs in the snacks, I would think you'd be OK with some processed carbs especially if you feel more wholesome carbs are not as effective in controlling your cravings.  You might choose to have only unprocessed/wholesome carbs at mealtimes.  If you choose to have more wholesome snacks, you could microwave a sweet potato or some winter squash, have a whole wheat tortilla, breads made with sprouted grains (I LOVE Ezekiel English muffins you can often find in a supermarket freezer - the Ezekial breads and other sprouted breads are great as toast, too), low fat / low sugar granola, a bowl of rolled oats, steel cut oats, or oat bran, a bowl of whole grain dry cereal, brown rice crackers, multi-grain pretzels, etc.

3. We tried to keep it simple by giving portion sizes of real foods for meals especially since it's not possible to get the exact number of grams of carbs, fats, and proteins recommended each day and we have seen that if you stand back and evaluate over time, on average, people get the right number of grams of nutrients they need.  There have been posts on the forum and once I post this message I will look for the post that has the breakdown. 

I am optimistic and hopeful for you as well - please let us know how things are going so far.

All the best,
Nina

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »
We still recommend that you focus on food portion sizes and try to get an intuitive feel for how much you need to eat - that will help you eat when you can't entirely control your intake and also allow you to tailor your eating to what you need as there are variations from one day to the next.

However, we definitely understand how having the nutrient breakdown can be really helpful.  Here's a guide for Phase I:

Phase I Meals:
Breakfast for women has 10-15 g protein, 20-30 g carb, up to between 5 and 7 g (occasionally up to 10) grams of fat - aim for very low fat in general)
Lunch has between 30-35 g protein and very low fat, and no starchy carb but lots of veggies (limit carrots and beets to 2 cups)
Dinner 50-55g carbs and lots of veggies

I hope this is helpful!

Nina