Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: What are you doing for exercise?  (Read 9613 times)

Meigg

What are you doing for exercise?
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:24:13 PM »
I used to be in such great shape in my 20's - I was a musical theatre performer, so I danced in 8 shows a week, ran 3 miles a day, and had a personal trainer.  Oh, how I miss those days.  The last 8 years I have dropped all exercise and I am paying for it now (over 200 pounds).  I am doing walking tapes (kind of boring) but I can't believe that everyday they get easier and more fun to do.  I have added a weighted vest to my everyday life (wearing it as much as I can) and during my tapes, and I am seeing and feeling a big difference. 

Does anyone have a good tape they can recommend for someone out of shape - does NOT have to be walking!

Let me know.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi4ujRu/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wi4ujRu/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

[/url]

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: What are you doing for exercise?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 03:54:39 PM »
Have you checked out http://collagevideo.com (Collage Video)?  You can call them up and speak to someone who can guide you through the choices they have.  Highly recommended.  Why not get back into dance?  You can do it at any fitness level. 
- Nina

marigolds

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:40 PM »
I have a book called Lifefit.  It was written in the early 90's by a Harvard Exercise Physiologist, Professor Ralph Paffenbarger.  I am following the two phases.  Phase 1 calls for just "puttering" or moving around on your feet for an hour a day.  Along with that you do Phase 2 which calls for breaking a sweat for 30 minutes, 3 x a week.  For people who don't like to sweat you do an extra hour of Phase 1 3 x a week.  This is good for people like me who hate to exercise.  If I follow this, there is no excuse not to move.

I am also starting back exercises to strengthen my back, as I'm having a lot of back trouble lately.

I know strength training and flexibility exercises make for a well rounded program...but at least I'm moving.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »
It is fantastic indeed you're moving but make it count with some strengthening exercises pilates-style or on the ball or toning.  You can find great videos at your local library, video rental stores, netflix, or buy them in stores or online at collagevideo.com.  And stretching, or some gentle yoga, can get you in touch with your body and calm you.  Whatever feels good - exercise does not have to be torture.  Nurture yourself.

marigolds

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:48 PM »
You know, I've been thinking long and hard about exercise all week.  And after reading your response I know in my heart that just moving around is NOT enough.  I need a well balanced program including flexibility exercises, strength training and aerobics.  Period.  There is just no way around it. 

So I've been looking through a book called The Spark by Glenn Gaesser.  It calls for 10 minute intermittent bouts of exercise throughout the day (3 a day) which include stretching, strength and aerobics.  I emailed the author who is an exercise teacher for the University of Virginia and he was kind enough to email me back.  He said that along with his book there is a ton of information on the internet if I just google "short, intermittent bouts of exercise."  He is right.  I couldn't believe all the research done on this.  And it works.  I feel this way of exercising is very doable for me.

This is definitely my year to get back in shape.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:28:44 PM »
The book "The Spark" that you mention sounds terrific - how great that you found it.  You're quite resourceful!  Another book to check out is Bill Phillips "Body for Life" which came out years ago (I would imagine every local libray would have a copy).  The idea is 20-30 minutes a day, 6 days a week, of some sort of effective exercise be it aerobic or resistance.  It just hammers home the concept that efficient, effective exercise done in short amounts of time will give you results - it's a matter of quality over quantity.

If this is your year to get in shape, go for it!

- Nina

kmmartines

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:23:07 PM »
I love Fit TV.  I can tivo a wide variety of exercise programs from yoga to dance to aerobics - if I don't like it, I delete it, and it doesn't cost me anything. It keeps me from spending a ton of money at the gym or buying videos, and it keeps me from getting bored. Yoga videos with Sara Ivanhoe are my favorite.

Fitbabe

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 11:18:53 PM »
I used to exercise all the time...The Firm even sent me their videos to evaluate..shocking how I have turned into couch potatoness.
For awhile I was doing DDR which I really like...now my foot is playing up so I need to do something else.

I have to find something very doable, that doesnt feel like work. I will check out The Spark.

brockhaus

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:11:28 AM »
Can you fill me in on what DDR stands for?  Has anybody tried The Firm's Cardio Dance DVD?  It's so much fun...the workout really flies by and I'm sweating like crazy in the end.  In reading Nina's comment on Body for Life, a friend who followed that plan told me an exercise tip that I use when I'm on my elliptical.....increase the tension by one degree each minute for five minutes and then drop back down to the start.  This makes the time go by quicker, as I figure I can do anything for one minute, and before you know it, increments of five have ticked away....like I'm hoping my poundage does.... ;D
Brockhaus
Start weight:  193
Lost to date:  18
Current weight:  175
Pretend there's a cool ticker here....I can't figure it out..
"Nothing in vain...."

6ducklings

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
Besides all the moving around I do during the day (which is a lot with housework), I'm mixing up dvd exercise tapes.  I do T-Tapp, and Cindy Crawford's "Next Challenge" workout.  I do 30 minutes a day.  Both workouts include weights or resistance, including cardio.  I don't think this arrangement is as much as they say to do in the book, but for me, it's a lot!

Better2no

• Ticker Factory
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
[color=green]I'm having a little difficulty doing my entire 30 minutes
on the gazelle, this second day of new job ...so I'm walking
the entire building (4 floors) and stairs at lunchtime.
Haven't lost weight in a few days but it's probably due to
digestion problems as I start this new job (and my boss' grandfather
is dying so he had to leave for the rest of the week).
[b]Does resisting to do weights count as weight resistance?  (snicker,snicker)[/b]
Happy Spring.
Lillie[/color]
He knows my heart and loves me still :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wORAMN1/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wORAMN1/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
Oh, Lil!  You are always full of such insights!  You make me laugh!  I say , if that's how you want to this of doing your weight resistnance training, then go for it!  Those flights of stairs you are doing is great exercise, so don't begrudge too much!  You'll get your new schedule worked out as the days go by - it's all about allowing yourself time to adjust!  Give yourself permission to make time to adjust things! 

Better2no

• Ticker Factory
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »
[color=green]Yes, it's a little embarrassing when I'm 50 years old
surrounded  by people old enough to be my grandparents
and I'm huffing and puffing when I come out of the stairway!
But I'm going to keep doing it.
The center has a beautiful exercise equipment room
that I hope to use as soon as I get settled in.
It's so great to have you Dr. Phil Feenlida!!! ;)
Hey Meg, what you doin?
Lillie[/color]
He knows my heart and loves me still :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wORAMN1/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wORAMN1/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

lesathomas

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 07:34:00 AM »
Well, it is very difficult to any exercises in my working schedule. But when it comes to exercise, I prefer walking exercise but before breakfast. Yes, whole day, this keeps me maintain bodily active.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:37:16 AM by lesathomas »

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
Getting exercise out of the way in the morning is a great approach for many of us (me included!). 

Thinking of a great way to end the day: A brief yoga or relaxation routine before bed can also be a wonderful ritual, even 10-15 minutes of your favorite stretching not forcing the stretch and spending a few minutes in each stretch, a guided meditation, a bath, progressive body relaxation, etc. can be a great way to feel at peace with your body, clear your mind, and help you fall asleep - whatever works!