Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Topics / Re: Protein shake for breakfast
« Last post by AshleyValley on June 22, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »
Hey, that sounds good. I too take protein shake for breakfast.
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on June 22, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
9 grams is too much for breakfast (too many calories and it might make you feel sluggish).  I recommend no more than 3 grams of fat in your morning meal if possible - can you find a low fat (or no fat) protein powder?
General Topics / Re: coffee
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on June 22, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
I am not aware of an interaction between coffee and lexapro - I'd be curious to hear anything about this.
- Nina
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Hummas
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on June 22, 2017, 07:28:25 PM »
Yes on hummus if it's low fat (personally i do not care for fat free hummus but it's up to you) - I love hummus.  You can make your own blending drained and rinsed chick peas with a lot of lemon, garlic, fresh or dried herbs and spices, chicken or other bouillon to make it blend easily, up to 1 tablespoon of tahini or olive oil - and you can even blend it with fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, or white beans if you like it creamy.  You can have it as part of your lunch protein or part of your dinner carb.  I know that sound contradictory but low fat or fat free hummus is a mix of carbs and protein so keep it simple and adapt it to whatever meal you're eating: count it as a protein when you're having lunch (and follow the grams of protein) and when you're having it at dinnertime, only have half of your carb portion as hummus and have a no-or very-low protein starch like bread to go along with it. 

I hope that makes sense.

Nina 
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Newbie
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on June 22, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
Hello, and Welcome!

Thank you for sharing so much of your experiences.  I'm glad you've ordered the UK version of the book as I think it will answer many of your questions and help you with menus, snack and meal preparation, timing, and portions.

A morning skim milk latte is great. Juice is OK from time to time but I recommend taking your pills with water and having a small serving of fruit (not juice) and 1/2 cup of porridge/oats made with water or low fat granola with minimal milk to complete your breakfast.

Cheese is not a component of the diet - it's too high fat and has much more fat than protein.  4-6 ounces of chicken breast or other lean meat is great with a salad or cooked vegetables for lunch.  Ravioli is definitely not a good lunch option. 

If you add olive oil, butter, or grated cheese to starches for dinner, don't add more than a tablespoon. Otherwise you'll add too many calories and slow down the absorption of the carbs and risk feeling sluggish. 

You can cook steak or other protein for your family but save your portion for lunch the next day.  Carbs and veggies and no more than a couple of bites of protein at dinnertime if any.

Check labels for appropriate carb snacks.  Fruit is not a good snack.  Crackers made with fat and or butter are not good snack options.  Cereal flakes are great as long as they're low fat. 

If you feel you cannot manage without alcohol, have it once a week and reduce the dinnertime carb portion by 25%.  You may find that boosting brain serotonin will help you feel calm and you won't feel the need for alcohol.

You'll find the book useful so I hope it arrives quickly.

Sounds like you're motivated which is wonderful. 
Nina
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: help
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on June 22, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
Welcome!

I'm glad to hear you've found our program and know what your goals are.

Sure, you don't have to have carbs for breakfast.  As long as you wait 30-60 min after your morning snack, you can add carbs to lunch.

Yes, you can add nuts, avocado, olive oil, full fat cheese, peanut butter and nut butters, etc. to meals but don't add them to snacks.

I recommend combining lunch and breakfast if you're eating late in the morning (to be sure you're getting enough protein), then an afternoon snack then dinner. 

Wishing you all the best,
Nina

Yes, you can have fruit along with the carb for snacks. I only recommend a small portion though because you want the carbs to be well digested and absorbed.  The fruit won't physiologically interfere with brain serotonin production but it might slow it down.
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Pre diabetic
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on June 22, 2017, 06:54:47 PM »
Hello and welcome!

I'm thrilled to read you find the program amazing. 

If you're worried about blood sugar swings, I recommend choosing whole grain carbs such as steel cut or rolled oats, multi-grain pasta, whole wheat bread and crackers, sweet rather than white potatoes, brown rice rather than white, etc. There are many whole grain boxed cold cereals that are great for snacks and even as part of a simple evening meal.  If your friend has insulin resistance, sure, the diet could work but I would advise your friend to check with his/her physician.

I don't know what to say about the gas: sometimes adding in more veggies and reducing fats a bit can be associated with gas but I don't have scientific evidence for it.  Some people respond to fresh ginger, fennel seeds after a meal, mint tea, adding cinnamon, cumin, and/or turmeric to their foods but again, I have no specific scientific evidence to back this up.

I think the more regular you are with meals and snacks as we outline in the program, your body will get used to it and you won't get famished.  You could go on a brunch schedule combing breakfast and lunch then having a snack, dinner, and an after-dinner snack.  See what works as long as you follow the principles of not eating carbs for the purposes of boosting brain serotonin less than 2 or 3 hours after protein, and waiting at least 30 but ideally 60 minutes after having a snack before eating protein. 

I would advise not focusing on calories but rather on the portion sizes outlined.  Every day is not going to be the same amount and your body will naturally fall into a rhythm of the right amounts when you boost brain serotonin and control your appetite.  Phase I has around 1600 calories, phase II and II has around 1400 - but it varies.  Please track your weight loss, mood, appetite, etc. and monitor your eating accordingly - if it comes from within you'll have a built-in compass, so please follow the portion guidelines to guide you.

I'm glad you find this forum helpful!

- Nina
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Pre diabetic
« Last post by Casman on June 21, 2017, 04:48:04 AM »
Sorry I meant to say my friend has insulin resistance
Ask Judy and Nina / Pre diabetic
« Last post by Casman on June 21, 2017, 04:39:52 AM »
Hi, I have read the book and found it amazing. I have a few questions tho. I'm pre diabetic and have been trying to lose weight AND avoid carbs as they increase blood sugar. So is this diet ok for a pre diabetic? I also have a friend that has glucose intolerance, would this be ok for her? Sorry next question is I have had a lot of smelly gas (sorry). Is this normal and does it go away?
I have also done alt of intermittent fasting and the weird thing is if I don't eat breakfast I can go without food until around 4pm. If I eat breakfast I'm hungry again by morning tea, then lunch etc. always looking for my next meal. Why is this happening?
Last question. How many calories should I be on for the day?
The forum is fantastic. Thanks in advance
« Last post by Fern on June 20, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
I drink Atkins Shake. But it has  total fat 9 grams and saturated fat 2 grams. Is that OK?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10