Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: breakfast question  (Read 665 times)

Melferr73

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
breakfast question
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »
Hi!  I am on day 2 and have a few questions.  First off I do not like eggs or cheese so I am struggling with breakfast protein ideas.  Also is there no butter allowed on potatoes or toast?  Peanut butter ok? 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: breakfast question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
Hi, and welcome!  I hope things are off to a good start. 

Breakfast protein can include any low fat protein you would eat at other times of the day.  Do you eat animal products?  If so, choose from lean meats, chicken, and fish.  What about yogurt?  If you don't eat animal products, you can make a smoothie with protein powder, vegan sausage or other meat substitute products, foods made with pea or other vegetable proteins, beans, vegan low fat cheese, vegan yogurts (although many are high fat). 

About added fats: over the course of each day, you can add one Tablespoon of fat to either your cooking or the food you're eating and that can include butter, peanut or other nut or seed butter, oil such as olive oil, cheese, avocado, seeds, etc.  Fats are a healthy part of a diet but too much in the diet adds excess calories that can make it harder to lose weight.

Please keep us posted!
Nina

lk1983

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
If you like tofu, extra firm tofu can be scrambled like eggs. To do it, just drain and squeeze out some of the liquid by pressing it between a few paper towels. Spray a nonstick pan with some cooking spray, add the tofu and break up and saute for a few minutes. I like it plain with salt and pepper or you can add salsa, hot sauce, etc.

If you don't like tofu, there are some protein-added cereals out there that you could try with skim milk or I like unsweetened almond milk for super low calories. Here is a list of protein cereals with nutrition breakdown that is helpful for SPD:

http://www.stack.com/a/high-protein-healthy-cereals

If you really want the peanut butter taste, look for a product called PB2. It is a peanut butter powder that has the fat (calories) mostly removed. 2 tbps is something like 45 calories. You can "rehydrate" it with water or you can mix with jam to put on toast. It satisfies the craving for that taste without all the fat cals.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »
Excellent suggestions - thanks for sharing!