Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: First week over, very happy with the diet  (Read 85 times)

deesseau

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
First week over, very happy with the diet
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
Hello everyone! I waited to have completed one week on the serotonin diet before joining the forum.
I am very happy with it. I am a 60 years old female, recently retired. I was on antidepressants for 5 years, and stopped them in january (low dose Cipralex at the end).

So difficult to lose 40 pounds! But at least i made the first baby steps. I am very motivated now!

I have a question if someone can answer me. I like, occasionally, a non-alcoholic beer, or some non-alcoholic wine. Can i still indulge?

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: First week over, very happy with the diet
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
Welcome!  It's wonderful to hear you've had a great first week.  Thanks for sharing.

Sure, you can have non-alcoholic wine or beer and it would count towards the total amount of carbohydrate at your meal.  These beverages are lower in calories than the alcoholic versions with 12 ounces of beer approximately 50 calories and 8 ounces of wine about 70 calories.  To keep it simple, you can do the following: for dinner, cut down 1/4 of your total carbs when you are drinking either of these beverages.  Notice whether you feel as satisfied with the beverage as you do without it (you'll be noticing whether the non-alcoholic beverage contributes to boosting brain serotonin by nature of the fact that the beverage is a carbohydrate, but in the case of the non-alcoholic wine, it's a fruit carb and therefore may not be as satisfying - just notice). 

You could experiment with these beverages as part of your snack for example, a serving of the beverage and 1/2 to 2/3 of the usual snack portion in the form of crackers, pretzels, low fat granola bar, etc. and notice whether they control your appetite as well as other starchy or sweet non-fruit carbohydrates.

Please keep us posted!
- Nina