Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: MCT Oil & Replacement Meal Shakes  (Read 385 times)

Judy M

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
MCT Oil & Replacement Meal Shakes
« on: November 30, 2017, 02:46:05 PM »
I'm new to SPD - I've been on it for about 3 weeks now and have a few questions. 

To give a little background - I have been on anti depressants for almost a year now and have piled on about 30 extra pounds.  Not realizing that my weight gain was due to anti depressants until recently so I began my research and came across SPD and thrilled.  Overall I feel so much better. 

Before going on SPD - I was doing a replacement meal shake 2 times a day with no weight loss (my husband lost 25 lbs) -- Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal - 120 calories, 2 g Fat, 8 g carbs, 20 g protein - is there a way to incorporate this into SPD?  I love the meal replacement for it's convenience.  I mix it with 4 oz of almond milk and 4 oz of cold brew coffee.

Question #2 - I had added MCT oil into my shake - is MCT oil ok to use on the plan? 1 - tbsp - 130 calories - 14 g fat - 0 carbs - 0 protein

Question #3 - Serving size of veggies and meat - is the measurement before cooked or after?

I am so glad that my research led me to SPD - I found in the first 2 weeks of being on the plan that I feel my entire body is functioning better - during Thanksgiving I wavered and I could feel it in my body - it's taken me almost a week to get myself under control and feeling better again.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: MCT Oil & Replacement Meal Shakes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
Hello and welcome!  I'm thrilled you've found us - it is a relief to many to learn that weight gain is not your fault, that there is a reason for it, and to know there is something you can do about it.  Thank you for sharing your background and your experience of the first 3 weeks.  I hope it has continued successful for you.  My sincere apologies for the delay replying (a family member has had a major medical issue I've been attending to).

I'm thrilled to hear you're feeling good on the program.  This, and the fact that you felt worse when you wavered a bit from the program, speaks well to you being able to maintain it in the long term.  Wonderful!   

Put simply, the answer is YES, you can use the meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch when you want.  For breakfast, add a piece of fruit and a half serving of carb (for example, half a piece of toast, 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, etc.  For lunch, have 2 shakes plus as many vegetables as you can eat - ideally at least 2 cups. 

I would avoid MCT oil in the shakes.  However, it's OK to add up to a Tablespoon of oil in the day - often it feels most satisfying in the evening as an addition in preparing the carb or vegetable you're eating for dinner. 

The serving size of meat and vegetables is raw amounts, but with vegetables, you can have as many as you'd like. 

Please keep us posted on how things are going and definitely let us know what questions you have.

All the best to your success however that looks for you,
Nina