Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Teenage daughter and weight gain from medication  (Read 54 times)

jlamps

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Teenage daughter and weight gain from medication
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »
Hello,
I just read your book and I am hoping it is the answer that I have been looking for.  When my daughter was 15 is when our journey began.  She was diagnosed with depression and anxiety.  She started medication when she was 16.  They tell me that they try not to label teenagers because sometimes they outgrow their mental disorder, but they said if they were going to label her, they would say she was bipolar schizophrenic.  She started on Lexapro then went to Prozac and was also put on Abilify.  Six months being on the medication she gained about 50 lbs.  Not only did it not help too much, but now she has self esteem issues because of her weight.  She is now 17, they changed her medication to Effexor and Genode.  It seems to work, but not always.  We were hoping that she was going to lose some weight but now she is 170 lbs at 5 ft. tall.  She is for sure more talkative then she was on Prozac, but she still has some major ups and downs.
    She is not happy about her weight (as a 17 yr old, I hate that she has to worry about it) and I have been looking for how to help her.  I have never wanted to put her on medication, but I also don't like to see her go through the audible hallucinations and ups and downs of bipolar.  I want to do this diet with her. (Let's face it, I could use the diet myself).  I have some questions though.  Being in high school means she is busy.  She usually is on the go.  Any suggestions on what she can have in the morning that is quick, quick?  Maybe something she can take with her.  What are simple things she can take to school for lunch.  I am not concerned about the snacks.  That seems easy, but it is the meals I could use some advice on.  Also, I have more in my family then her.  I hate making different meals for us.  I have looked at the recipes in the book.  They are made for servings of 1.  Can I make it for servings of six easily enough and what other recipes are good for our family?  I am hoping to make a meal plan this week and start next week.  So that leads me to one more question.  (Sorry for the long post)  We are traveling for Thanksgiving.  What kinds of things can we enjoy at Thanksgiving since I will not be the one cooking?  Any suggestions on how to make travel easier on meal ideas?  I know it is a terrible time to start, around the holidays, but in my experience, there is always something.  I figure, let's just start now anyway. 
  I am excited to do this with my daughter.  I hope that we will be successful and that it will change the way she sees herself and maybe even help her mental disorders as well.  (I have always thought diet could be a big contributor)

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Teenage daughter and weight gain from medication
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 08:37:03 PM »
Hello and welcome,

First of all, you are clearly a caring and loving mother wanting to do right by your daughter - I applaud all you're doing.

it's a tough road for a teenager no matter what and weight gain can definitely complicate things.  I recommend looking again at all of our suggestions for meals in the book and tailor it to the needs of your family and your daughter.  Food can be prepared the day before and carried to school in a cooler.  Recipe and meal ideas can be multiplied to make for your whole family.  You can build a repertoire of favorite meals that are easy and rotate them throughout the week.  For Thanksgiving, if you're eating at lunchtime, focus on turkey and vegetables (take some servings of potato, squash, stuffing, bread, etc. and eat it at dinnertime).  Or if the meal is a dinnertime, have some protein (can of tuna) and some raw veggies for a small lunch and focus on the starches at dinnertime like potato, squash, stuffing, bread, etc.).  Have a very small serving of dessert if you would otherwise feel deprived. 

Following the diet doesn't have to be perfect - just start with what you can and incorporate the principles and meal guidelines as best you can and modify as you go.  Changing eating habits takes some attention in the beginning but then it becomes routine - hopefully your whole family will feel good eating the Serotonin Power Diet way!

Keep us posted!

Nina