Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Cane Sugar Allergy
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on April 26, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
Hello, and congratulations are in order on a number of fronts:

- that you avoided significant weight gain over the tax season by generally sticking with the program
- that you're getting back to the program now that you feel you can focus on it
- you're noticing the evening hunger (see how it goes: eventually that evening hunger will lesson or, if it doesn't, on days you're really hungry, you can have a small snack, around 125 calories - if that doesn't work, we can try other tweaks)
- that you're trying to plan ahead for the tip with your sister: one options is you can have a glass of wine (or one drink) in place of the evening carb, but that can leave people feeling a bit hungry and also alcohol can actually stimulate the appetite - on the other hand, sometimes an enjoyable evening distracts one from eating so you be the judge); also, yes, you may want to just have a cheat day or 2 when you're with your sister - you don't want to feel constrained to the point where you're missing out on some of life's best pleasures when you can enjoy the time yet also, in the big picture, stay on track to reach your goals. 

Yes, 20 pounds is a wonderful goal - it is a very worthy achievement and a great success - and sure, if after that you can lose 40 pounds, even better.

It seems you have a great attitude and approach - keep it up!

- Nina
General Topics / Re: Protein shake for breakfast
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on April 26, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »
That sounds good.  I hope you're finding ways to incorporate principles of the diet as time goes on so you can get the full serotonin-boosting, appetite suppressing, and weight loss effects!

- Nina
Ask Judy and Nina / Re: Cane Sugar Allergy
« Last post by rensli on April 25, 2017, 02:18:21 AM »
Hello

I'm a tax accountant so I had to finish tax season before I could get back on track. Fortunately I stuck to phase 1 of the diet "for the most part" and have gained about 2 pounds which isn't a lot for me to gain in a few months since being on Celexa.

So after a week off, I'm now starting phase 2

I started Sunday and right now finishing day 2 of phase 2

Having trouble falling asleep right now as I have hunger but I feel in the right head space. Stuck to my plan for 2 days.

My sister and I are going on a business trip on 2 weeks just the girls and I feel nervous right now wondering if I will blow the diet when her and I are together as she eats and drinks a lot of alcohol and there will be pressure for me to join in. But at the same time maybe a little cheat day in 2 weeks would be something to look forward to?

I have 40 pounds to lose. But honestly I would be happy with 20 and then maintenance.
Recipes and Food Tips / Lunch when you are not able to eat.
« Last post by Wellsy on April 24, 2017, 09:56:24 PM »
Just wondering what to have for lunchtime meal when I am somewhere I can't eat. Specifically I'm thinking about my hairdressers appointment next week....its 4 hours from 12pm to 4pm.  So while its ok to have my snacks...what do I do about the "lunch" part?  Could I make a smoothie out of berries, yogurt and milk and have that for lunch?
Recipes and Food Tips / Re: sauces for over pasta/rice and veggies for phase one
« Last post by Wellsy on April 24, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
Thanks Nina
« Last post by Wellsy on April 24, 2017, 09:53:30 PM »
Thank you Nina
I haven't started fully yet as I am planning what meals I can have etc, but I already have the morning shake and I am adding my snacks into my day and trying to reduce the protein at the evening meal while I research meal plans etc.
Adding sauces and flavorings are wonderful.  Anything without calories or very low in calories would be great.  Yes, you can use vegetable or other broth to cook veggies and add lots of seasoning, and even cook the starch along with the veggies and broth to make a stew, even adding 1/4 cup of red lentils to thicken, or you can just heat broth with seasoning and combine with the carb to make more of a soup and have veggies separate.  For flavorings, you can pick something like:

- any fresh herb, chopped
- an herb blend with thyme, oregano, basil, etc.
- "Asian" with soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, seaweed, and even some powdered "peanut butter"
- spicy: use any hot sauce you like or you can use chilies, black pepper, etc.
- To get a curry flavor, use any combination of turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ginger, etc.
- low fat salsa
- BBQ sauce (can be loaded with sugar and have oil so use sparingly)
- low fat cheeses like a sprinkle of parmesan or low fat feta cheese (use no more than one Tablespoon)

That should get you started - be creative and just make sure you're not adding too many extra calories which will slow your weight loss.

Nina
« Last post by NinaFrusztajerMD on April 24, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
Hello, and welcome!!

Sure, that sounds like a great part of breakfast. Have a serving of fruit with the shake (preference), or you can have the piece of fruit later in the day.  You can either add a half portion of morning carbs along with the shake (like half a piece of toast or about 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal, or you can add a bit more carb to one of the snacks you're eating during the day.  I hope that's not confusing, I'm just trying to respect the fact that if you've found a breakfast that works for you and you don't need to eat more than that, I'm giving you options. 

I hope you're off to a great start,
Nina
Recipes and Food Tips / sauces for over pasta/rice and veggies for phase one
« Last post by Wellsy on April 23, 2017, 01:01:05 AM »
Just wondering what people use as a flavoring sauce over their carb and veggies dinners in phase one.  I enjoy curries that are quite "soupy" so having just rice and veggies will be quite a shock so thinking I could use a phase one friendly sauce etc to help.  I guess I could make a veggie broth and use that...but any other ideas or recipes would be great.
General Topics / Protein shake for breakfast
« Last post by Wellsy on April 22, 2017, 10:56:57 PM »
Hi. Newbie here. I've just read the book and starting to think about and plan what I can eat when I start.  My normal breakfast is a protein shake and would like to continue this.  It has 15gm of protein and 7.7 grams of carbs. Is this an ok carb amount for phase one breakfast?  Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10