Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Kids and SPD  (Read 137 times)

hyehuda

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Kids and SPD
« on: March 04, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
Hi
I read in your website in the FAQ that kids can follow the SPD. Should they follow the amount of protein/carbs/veggies as described in the book for women? Or do they have different amount?
My daughter is 9 years old and because she has anxiety disorder she tends to eat more than she really needs because this is her way to calm herself. We started CBT treatment  but in addition we have to lose weight.
By the way, I am doing the SPD for years successfully and i actually don't relate to it as a diet but as a lifestyle. This is how I talk about it with my daughter. The word 'diet' makes me to think about food and what i am missing and makes me more hungry...
Thanks!
Hanna
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:20:20 AM by hyehuda »

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Kids and SPD
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
Hi Hanna,
I'm thrilled to hear you have been following the SPD way of eating and that it feels good - yes, it works best when it's just a way of eating that feels good and NOT a diet that implies restriction.  That's fantastic.

That's a great question about your daughter.  We always make sure a child is followed by a medical expert if there are any reasons for concern or specific guidelines you / she should follow.  Generally we recommend anyone under the age of 16 follow the program starting in phase II since eliminating protein can be challenging for some youngsters when they get started. The correct number of calories is important - do you have a sense of how many calories she's consuming now?  How would you compare her overall food intake to yours?  Are you on a specific phase right now?  I'm asking to get a sense of how many calories you think you might be consuming so you can know whether she'll be eating less, more, or the same as you.  Some children really benefit from eating the men's portions of protein at breakfast and lunch but all else on the eating plan the same.  Could you share your daughter's weight and how much you think would be reasonable for her to lose? 

Thanks for reaching out!
- Nina

hyehuda

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
Hi Nina,

Thank you so much for your detailed email and questions.
We couldn't wait to your reply so we started a week ago and we are on Phase 1 so basically we finished the first week. To help my daughter I went back to phase 1 so I can start with her and we will eat the same food every day. Before we started Phase 1 she used to eat more than me and back then I followed your phase 3 diet so I don't know the number of calories I'm eating but you can figure out the amount of phase 3 calories per day.

I weight 129 lbs and my height is 5 Ft. 6 in. My daughter is almost 9 years old and she weights today  96 lbs and her height is 53.5  (4 ft. 5 in). (On October 2016 her weight was 85 lbs and her height was  52.75 so you can see that she gained weight but not much height). I didn't capture her weight a week ago before we started the SPD phase 1. I just captured it today a week after we started the SPD.

Here is what she ate every day in the first week of Phase-1 and she seems stable and not hungry as she used to be before we started. I also eat the same amount.

Breakfast:
-- Hot Oatmeal (3/4 cup) + 1 banana (she wants to eat the same breakfast every day because it makes her fill full until snack time and also she insist on 1 banana and not half).
-- 1 cup of soy milk (but she never finishes it)

snack (1 hr before lunch from your approved list in the book)

Lunch:
-- Vegetables
-- Protein  (salmon or chicken breast or lean meat) the amount for women

snack (3 hrs after lunch)

Dinner:
-- Vegetables
-- 1 cup of pasta + tomato souse

snack (2 hours after dinner)

She needs to lose 7 lbs.
Please advice.
Thank you so much
Hanna

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »
Hello Hanna,

It's great you're trying to stay on top of both your and your daughter's weight before there's too much of an increase.  Both of you must be of small frame because the weights you describe fall into the "normal" range of weight for individuals of your heights. 

It's wonderful you're doing this together - we like to remind clients that when dealing with daughters and young girls in general, it's really important not to cause stress when it comes to weight and restrictive eating because of vulnerabilities for body image distortion and eating disorders.  Keep the focus on her positive qualities and insure you're spending quality time together to maintain a loving bond with each other.

What you describe for your daughter sounds really good.  I would add just one small serving of protein at dinnertime, or make sure she is eating the men's portion of protein at lunchtime.  When possible, choosing whole grain foods for snacks and meals (whole wheat or other types of grain pasta, rolled rather than instant oatmeal, sweet potato rather than white, multi-grain cereals and bread, whole grain foods for snacks). 

You are definitely on a great start and again, what you outlined for your daughter sounds very good.  Best would be have her continue to follow it and check in with her on her mood, appetite, quality of sleep, etc. and continue to check in with her therapists and other health care providers who are following her for anxiety and other conditions that someone who can physically see and talk with her is equipped to follow. 

Thanks for writing in - here's to both of you feeling your best!
Nina 

hyehuda

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Thank you so much. This is really helpful.