Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: TSPD and Gastric ByPas  (Read 272 times)

Moesoto

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
TSPD and Gastric ByPas
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
I have had gastric bypass surgery and must eat at least 60 grams of protein each day.  My doctors always say to “eat the protein first” before carbs just to make sure I have room for that much food.  Will this diet work for me?

I had the surgery 4 years ago and had hit a maintenance weight.  Recently my doctor prescribed an antidepressant that is working incredibly well - except that I gained 5 lbs in one week! I would love to try this plan but don’t want to become malnourished because of the lack of protein.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: TSPD and Gastric ByPas
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »
Hello and welcome!  I applaud you for being so thoughtful about your body, your health, and what will work for you.

I do think you need to discuss with your doctor whether the program is in keeping with your post-procedure eating plan.  What you could do is start by incorporating the carb snack guidelines in the phase III part of our book (limit to approximately 125 calories and 25-30 grams of carbs) an hour before lunch, and then again and an hour or 2 before dinner and see how it affects your appetite at lunch and dinner.  If you find yourself craving something after dinner, wait for 2 or 3 hours after you've had dinner if it is a "protein" dinner and have a small snack.  See if the snacks curb your appetite. 

IF, and only IF, this would be OK with your doctor, another option is to follow the program following the men's protein portions but the women's carb portions so you get more protein.

Nina