Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: This is the most RELAXED I have ever felt on a diet!  (Read 2474 times)

clarice starling

This is the most RELAXED I have ever felt on a diet!
« on: November 04, 2007, 05:01:03 PM »
I have almost completed my first week on the SPD.  I have tried every diet out there and have failed miserably.  This diet caught my eye because it is different from anything else I have tried and the needs it targets describe me perfectly.

I have to remark that while I haven't been "perfect" this week, I have not experienced the night time sweet cravings I have become so used to.  I could never figure out why I started getting those cravings 4 years ago when I #1- Quit smoking and #2 - started taking Prozac for anxiety.  I used to keep a canister of M and M's next to my bed!

Usually when I start any new eating plan, I feel restless and uneasy at night when I get my sweet cravings.  None this week!

I am eager to see how the rest of my week goes.  I think because of the severity of my cravings and the huge amount of weight I want to lose (150lbs), I think I will stick to the Surge plan for a few extra weeks.

I look forward to reading about other people's experiences?  Anyone else out there trying to lose a large amount of weight on this plan?

~clarice~

marigolds

Re: This is the most RELAXED I have ever felt on a diet!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 05:08:24 PM »
Hi Clarice!  Hey I saw that movie too!!!! ;D  Love it!

Anyway, yes I just posted on an incident at church, and how well I handled it (I was calm for once!)...this way of eating is amazing.

I am far from perfect too.  Lately I've been reading so many nutrition/diet books (along with the Serotonin Power Diet) that my head is spinning.  I've just decided to keep my fat intake as low as possible and follow the basic principles of this way of eating.  Just keep it simple.

Even if you're not perfect it will work!  I'll never be perfect and it's working!  Give it a fair shake, I noticed in the first week I slept better too.  Clarice, I need to lose a lot of weight, about 50 pounds.  I didn't put it on overnight, and I know I won't lose it overnight.  I know it will come off - but right now my true focus is on feeling better emotionally, and it's working.  Welcome aboard!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:07:21 PM »
I'm struck again by how supportive and open you are all with each other!

What a thrill to hear you feel so calm on the diet after the first week - that's absoutely terrific. 

Clarice, like marigolds, I also want to say welcome and assure you that yes, you can definitely lose a great deal of weight on this plan and it's absolutely fine to stick with the surge phase for as long as you want (you may eventually want to skip the evening snack after the first couple of weeks, though, or you can keep it) - we tell people that the reason we have the balance and control phases (2 and 3, respectively) is two-fold: first, because many people miss the evening protein and second, the second and third phases have gradually slightly fewer calories because as you lose weight, you don't need as many calories to maintain your weight.  Don't worry - your body won't need as many calories so you won't feel deprived.

Also, with a lot of weight to lose, beware of feeling really hungry beyond the point of being able to ignore it: if that happens, try following the men's portions at least for one meal (the one before you're typically most hungry), two, or all three meals. 

clarice starling

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:03:11 PM »
One week down and... 9 pounds down!!!  I can't believe it!  ;D

onthegacoast

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:10:40 PM »
Congratulations!  Your success is motivation for all of us!  Thanks for sharing.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:57:15 PM »
Dear Clarice,

Starting off with a bang - that's absolutely fantastic!!!! 

It's entirely normal for the pace of weight loss to slow down over time so do absolutely celebrate such a successful week now (in non-food ways, of course!). 

Also keep in mind that success on this plan is indeed measured in many ways (for example, pushing yourself to try a new type of exercise, not overeating at a buffet table, or keeping your calm in stressful situations that would otherwise drive you to ranch doritos, just to name a few).  Miss no opportunity to celebrate each step you take on your way to feeling good about yourself.  The ride is not without challenges but it's certainly full of rewards!

- Nina

marigolds

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:42:27 AM »
Wow, 9 lbs.  Go girl! ;D

tonetj27

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »
Me too! I can actually feel the effects of the carbs when I eat them for a snack.  I eat my snack and drink my water and I'm good to go. For the first 5-10 minutes or so I feel as if I need a few more crackers but then that feeling goes away.  I tell my self no its your appetite not your hunger and the urge for a few more leaves my mind.  I used to used the LA Weight Loss diet, but after spending thousands of dollars on their program, I said enough is enough.  The Serotonin Power program is both effective and extremely cost efficient. I will tell everyone I know about it. This week is my first week and I have lost 5 pounds. I started not quite a week ago.  It will be a week on this coming Sunday.  I weighed on Thursday. So in 5 days, 5 pounds.  This program is a blessing to me because in just this year alone, I have gained almost 60 pounds. My weight gain was the result of emotional over eating.  I remember eating 6 boxes of girl scout cookies in just a few days.  I would also go to McDonalds a couple times each day. I use to weight 145 pounds last July, now I weigh 202 pounds. I have to wear sweat pants everyday because none of my clothes fit. I have been going on and off different diets the past 3 months including that crazy lemonade diet.  I have been yo-yo dieting for too long.  I could not fight deprivation because I felt as if I should not have to, I wanted to be satisfied and happy after I ate.  I could not stick to the other plans because I was left with strong and out of control cravings after eating my "meal of balance and moderation".  Now with Serotonin Power, I am happy after I eat.  I have something to look forward to after lunch and dinner on the surge phase, my snack. And then dinner is the best because I have never really been a meat eater type person. This is the best plan around and I know once everyone that has suffered with depression and yo-yo dieting hear about it and try it, they will see that it is so easy to lose weight with this plan. You don't have to give up all of what you enjoy to reach your goal weight. If one tries to lose weight by depriving themselves of what they enjoy in food, they might lose the weight if they stick with it, but the weight will climb right back on. And a little more.  I know because it happened to me.

clarice starling

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 11:18:28 PM »
Week 2 completed... 12 lbs lighter!

I am still feeling really good.  I had a meltdown last night and overindulged on pretzels and Laughing Cow cheese.  I was accounting for my calories this morning and laughed that my "binge" included a little over 400 calories.  Not good- but nothing to throw in the towel over.  When I think of what I would normally eat when I got out of control, 400 calories is a drop in the bucket.  Normally I will let a bad spell discourage me to the point of quitting, but I pulled my attitude together and wrote down everything I ate in my frenzy, then moved on.  I had a great day and even resisted cheating when I went out for dinner.  I keep reminding myself that I need to eat to sustain my body, not my feelings.  I no longer ask myself "what do I feel like eating?"  I plan my meals ahead of time and eat them as planned.

:0)

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
Dear Clarice,
I can't help jumping in to give a well-deserved congratulations!  I thrilled you feel so good and in control on the plan. 
- Nina

feenlida

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 10:12:36 PM »
[quote author=clarice starling link=topic=63.msg314#msg314 date=1195100308]
Week 2 completed... 12 lbs lighter!

I am still feeling really good.  I had a meltdown last night and overindulged on pretzels and Laughing Cow cheese.  I was accounting for my calories this morning and laughed that my "binge" included a little over 400 calories.  Not good- but nothing to throw in the towel over.  When I think of what I would normally eat when I got out of control, 400 calories is a drop in the bucket.  Normally I will let a bad spell discourage me to the point of quitting, but I pulled my attitude together and wrote down everything I ate in my frenzy, then moved on.  I had a great day and even resisted cheating when I went out for dinner.  I keep reminding myself that I need to eat to sustain my body, not my feelings.  I no longer ask myself "what do I feel like eating?"  I plan my meals ahead of time and eat them as planned.

I am glad I am not the only one who fell off the wagon momentarily!  I am only three days in and feeling like this is very manageable, however, I felt very hungry tonight after I got all of my food in, so I binged a bit.  I just felt very hungry; I don't have the book yet, so I think there is something I am missing.  I am only going by what I read in the FIRST article.  I have no idea when and if I and how much dairy products I can have, such as milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.,  Hopefully, once I have the book I can straighten that out.  But for now, I will get right back on track tomorrow morning.  Especially after seeing the results of weight loss in others - 9 pounds, 12 pounds, 5 pounds!  Those are all wonderful losses - here's to hoping I can pull some of those numbers in my first two weeks.  I know it's not realistic to lose that much every week, but that would be a nice start!  I only 15-20 to lose!  Good luck to you!

:0)
[/quote]