Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Success?  (Read 7129 times)

megbel

Success?
« on: February 17, 2008, 10:35:30 AM »
hi there-

i am a true newbie here. i have read the article/overview in first mag, listened to the authors on a podcast, read info on line, ordered the book (i cannot wait for it to arrive next week!) BUT as a seasoned yo-yo dieter am very skeptical....

has anyone lost a significant amount of weight here?
i am not currently on AD's, but have been off and on since 1992. i do use xanax, when needed.
i am hypo thyroid, on 120 mg of armour daily.
l am 41, 5'6" and have 75lbs or more to lose...i have stopped weighing myself, as that is an addiction in itself. i guess that i weigh around 220lbs.
so, how quickly can i feel better?
right now i cannot really face leaving my house or go to social events. i do not want anyone to look at me. i am full of self loathing. i know that my family deserves better. i do, too.
my problem is i want results ASAP...1or 2 lbs a week has never kept me motivated, BUT i know i have also lost 75lbs a few years ago and gained it all back....so i need a life change that i can grasp onto and make it my own.

sorry to ramble on....
i guess my question is:
is there anyone here who has lost as much as i need to? (i know this is a new forum, so perhaps not.)

can this work for someone who is really obese like myself? can this work for a non AD using subject?

many thanks, all best wishes-
megbel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCF9DAQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCF9DAQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

KrissyC

Re: Success?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »
Megbel, I totally understand your questions. I have not received the book yet, and one thing Dr. Nina pointed out to me in another post was that the First article actually sort of combined information from more than just the Serotonin Power Diet book, and so I want to wait for the actual book to see what the true recommendations are.

I am 42, not quite 5'2, and before I met my husband this time last year, I weighed close to 150. Due to traveling all the time after meeting him (he lived in Kansas, I was in Texas) and now moving to a town far from gyms, etc. in Kansas, I have put on nearly 20 pounds and I hate it. My body itself is just much too small for it. I am not unused to it, unfortunately - my highest weight ever was 232, many years ago. And all this lovely weight gain without any prescription drugs!

I hear you when you say losing 1-2 pounds a week is not motivation enough, BUT, two pounds a week is 8 pounds a month and that sure puts us heading in the right direction. I want to lose about 50 pounds - it feels daunting to think of it that way, but that is the reality. I used to have a goal of being 140 or so, but that is still a lot of weight on a small frame, so I want to go for what I TRULY want.

And I have fears and am skeptical and most of the time feel it will just never happen. That's where I am right now, in fact. I have been trying to sort of eat according to this diet, and it is a bit hard for me. I'm struggling with giving up carbs for lunch, protein for dinner, and I had not realized how much FAT I actually consume. I am a total cheese addict, and while I crave carbs too, merely having them WITHOUT the cheese, butter or whatever, doesn't seem appealing at all. Last night I had 10 sesame pretzel sticks - they're thick and that was how many gave me the right carb grams - and they were the driest things on the planet!! Crackers and cheese and a bit of lunch meat would have been more delightful.

All this to say, I don't know if I can really do this or not, but there are some ideas that ring true to me and I find the ladies that have lost weight, on this board, very inspiring. I do feel depressed lately - I think it's situational, because I'm homesick, and I hope the serotonin diet will help with that. I am pretty sure I am going to give it a try, but my attitude is not where I wish it was right now. I'm pouting and emotional about giving up things - I think because I have given up so many things already, moving away from home.

Are you going to try it? I definitely think it's worth a shot, no matter HOW much someone weighs. I answered almost every single question posed (except for pills causing weight gain) in the
First article and on this site with a "Yes", so I think it's definitely possible this diet will help me.

Krissy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:35:49 PM by KrissyC »

megbel

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:38:08 PM »
thanks krissy-

you have given me loads to think about. thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas on the diet. i am really at a cross road in my life. i feel like it is now or never. my weight and my flawed relationship with food will take my life away from me, so i better get some help!!!

i need to choose an eating plan in this quagmire of diets and pills and drinks and patches and just stick with it. i must change my thoughts and patterns. i am hoping to feel better.
i need to live my life, not merely exist.
i am seeking my good health and mental well being, because i feel i have lost both.

somehow i hope the SPD can get me back!!!

i look forward to hearing more from you and sharing the journey.
best regards-
megbel
[/url]

KrissyC

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
I look forward to getting to know you and the other power dieters here too, megbel!

So much of the time, it seems it's not the diet, but the mentality of a dieter that is the difference between failure and success. It can sometimes be hard to find the right diet for an individual, but there are many ways of eating that work, I have always felt.

I hope that, if I can buckle down and give this an honest effort, the serotonin benefits - feeling in control with less intense cravings, being in a good mood, seeing some weight loss results - will help my mental attitude shift so that some of these negative feelings I have about changing the way I eat won't be so much in the forefront of my mind.

I KNOW I need to change the way I eat... it's just SO hard, for an emotional eater, to do that. I have researched more of Judith Wurtman's work online and read various articles - all of which make sense, about carbohydrates and mood. But I am starting to wonder what exactly I get out of the fat, because  thinking about and planning for this diet makes it obvious to me how much I rely on that in my "comfort foods." Is it simply taste, or something more, I wonder, that fat impacts in me.

I know how you feel when you talk about self-loathing. I often look in the mirror and just flat don't like what I see - but the worst is pictures. When I see pictures of myself, I just feel I look huge. I've always hoped that if I could become "normal-sized" again, I would see what I really look like. But I'm not sure I would.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a magic pill or food ingredient or pep talk that TRULY changes a negative body image into a more positive one. We're just going to have to attack the demons from all angles! I really do have high hopes that balanced serotonin levels will help!

Krissy

alynnez

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »
I have 50 pounds to lose, am a carboholic, have no will power, have never been on anti-depressants, and have been on the diet a little over a week.  I love it.  It has improved my mood and given me a feeling of well-being, and I lost 3 pounds the first week.  I have found what a difference there is if I skip the carb snack or don't eat enough carbs in that snack.  I am ravenous the next meal, maybe not when I begin eating but I can't get satisfied.  When I have my snack, it really does control my eating.  And having the carb snack before the protein lunch helps me not miss the carbs so much.  If I do crave the carbs, if I can wait 20 minutes or so after the protein meal, I'm much better and can make it until my afternoon carb snack.  Having the carb dinner and the last carb snack really helps me sleep better.  I guess I'm lucky.  I have heard others say they are cranky when they start this diet, but I just feel better.  I am a golfer, and when I played the last 2 days even bad shots, which before would really foul my mood, didn't bother me much. 

KrissyC, have you tried dipping the pretzels in mustard?  I just tried the Laughing Cow cheese wedges and spread them on cucumber rounds instead of crackers and it worked for part of my lunch and tasted good.   

For me, 2 pounds a week is very motivating, because that means in a year I will weigh less than I have in 30 years.  Year after year I have looked at myself and said "if I had only kept to that 1-2 pounds a week and not given up, I wouldn't be 10 pounds heavier than I was when I started that diet!" The next year failed diet, 10 more pounds.  Etc.  I just have to keep losing, even just a little, to stay with it.  I wish both of you and myself success.

megbel

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:57:56 PM »
hello alynnez-

i love to hear such positive feedback and hearing about your success. 3lbs is fantastic.
thank you for reminding us all that slow and steady wins the race in the end.

i believe that SPD will allow me to control my food addictions and cravings, PLUS elevate my horrendous
moods and mood swings. if this food plan can allow me to lose consistently whilst still eating REAL, healthful, normal food than it will be a wonderful first for me.

many thanks for reaching out. and well done to you.
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:37:27 AM »
[quote author=alynnez link=topic=138.msg645#msg645 date=1203294024]
I have 50 pounds to lose, am a carboholic, have no will power, have never been on anti-depressants, and have been on the diet a little over a week.  I love it.  It has improved my mood and given me a feeling of well-being, and I lost 3 pounds the first week.  I have found what a difference there is if I skip the carb snack or don't eat enough carbs in that snack.  I am ravenous the next meal, maybe not when I begin eating but I can't get satisfied.  When I have my snack, it really does control my eating.  And having the carb snack before the protein lunch helps me not miss the carbs so much.  If I do crave the carbs, if I can wait 20 minutes or so after the protein meal, I'm much better and can make it until my afternoon carb snack.  Having the carb dinner and the last carb snack really helps me sleep better.  I guess I'm lucky.  I have heard others say they are cranky when they start this diet, but I just feel better.  I am a golfer, and when I played the last 2 days even bad shots, which before would really foul my mood, didn't bother me much. 

Your story is so inspriring!  My book is on the way.  I attempted to start the diet based on what I read in FIRST magazine, and I think I should've waited.  I did the diet last week and had a horrible time trying to sleep at night - only because I was not given all of the information I needed.  As I have been reading through the message board, I have gotten some valuable information.  So, I am still doing this eating plan for the week, hopefully, my book will arrive today or tomorrow! Thanks for sharing your story!  It's nice to have someone that is around the same starting time!

KrissyC, have you tried dipping the pretzels in mustard?  I just tried the Laughing Cow cheese wedges and spread them on cucumber rounds instead of crackers and it worked for part of my lunch and tasted good.   

For me, 2 pounds a week is very motivating, because that means in a year I will weigh less than I have in 30 years.  Year after year I have looked at myself and said "if I had only kept to that 1-2 pounds a week and not given up, I wouldn't be 10 pounds heavier than I was when I started that diet!" The next year failed diet, 10 more pounds.  Etc.   I just have to keep losing, even just a little, to stay with it.  I wish both of you and myself success.
[/quote]

megbel

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »
hi feenlinda-

i just see alynnez's quote, perhaps something happened to your post?

hello to krissy and alynnez and feenlinda.

i am hoping my book arrives today or tomorrow!!!

thanks everyone-
megbel
[/url]

KrissyC

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »
I can't wait to get my book either, but I think today there won't be mail since it's President's Day. I need some meal ideas though!! I was starving after water aerobics this morning and ended up eating two pieces of toast and a yogurt because I really couldn't think of more carb things I wanted to eat. I don't know that I'm a pretzel girl, unfortunately. They are just so drying!

Krissy

megbel

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »
hi krissy-

well done on doing water aerobics. i used to go to the gym 4-5 x a week. but feel so sad and disgusting that i cannot seem to get there anymore. i am hoping SPD will help me start using my membership again. i used to love working out, but since last fall i have lost my will power and positive mindset.

as for pretzels....i adore them. they will not be a problem for me.
how about low fat granola bars or fin newtons after a work out?

i hope our books come on tuesday.

take care-
megbel
[/url]

KrissyC

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »
I know how hard it is to get going to the gym again. Before I met my husband, I had lost 50 pounds over the last two years, and worked out pretty regularly doing advanced aerobics and boot camp. I had also started taking tennis lessons, and enjoyed anywhere from 4 to sometimes 7 workouts a week. I ate somewhat according to Body for Life, but ate out a lot also, so all that working out really helped. And it made me feel SO good.

Since moving to Kansas (country town of only 3500 people, not really my cup of tea, but where I have landed), I have been struggling and struggling, and doing a lot of whining about how it's cold here, gym is far, etc. I have finally recently joined the Y in a town about 25 miles away, and am trying to get myself going more.

For me, I usually get motivated by a particular instructor. I absolutely adored the one in Texas who did both aerobics and boot camp - he is actually irreplacable. But I have no choice - I HAVE to replace him, so I've been starting by just going to water aerobics a few times a week. I really need to do more though.

In March, the Y is starting an outdoor boot camp once a week. It's not as much as I would like, but I  can't wait for it to start! I LOVE boot camp!! And I am contemplating doing tennis lessons again, though they're about 55 miles away and I'm not positive how I will do having to go that far. They are twice a week - I'm leaning toward it because loved tennis so much and don't want to do without it just because I live in the middle of nowhere.

I would IMPLORE YOU to get back to the gym. Just once or twice a week can make all the difference in the world in feeling like we can change our habits. Join me Megbel!!! If for no other reason, because misery loves company. Hahaha!!!  :D

Krissy

feenlida

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 05:00:06 PM »
Hi girls!  I don't what happened to my post, but anyway I am also new here and TRYING to wait patiently for my book as well.  I had started the plan last week based on the info in FIRST, only to find that I was not eating enough carbs for my snacks.  I have gotten enough info from here to go ahead and continue this week, but I really can't wait for the book!  I am so excited that I have two people that I can talk back and forth with!  I am 33 years old, married, no children, except my dog - Cricket.  I have 15-20 pounds to lose, and I really feel encouraged about this plan.  I am not calling it a diet - don't believe in the word!  It just has to be a new way of life for me, and that's all there is to it.  I really think this is manageable and flexible enough for me.  Let's try to post every day!  Maybe we should share a weigh-in day as well - what do you girls think?  I will do whatever day works for everyone else, preferably the end of the week though!

Nice to meet ya both, and talk to you soon!  Feenlida  : )

megbel

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 06:04:34 PM »
hi feenlida-

it is lovely to meet you. i have not begun the diet (horrid word!)...i have first magazine, BUT i really wan to do it properly, so i am going to start the day or day after i receive SPD! hopefully tomorrow.

i have not weighed myself in  about 2 months so i am guessing i am well over 220 by now. i am huge. feel really achey and week and scared i'll have a heart attack  if i do not lose this NOW! every time in the past i have lost (75lbs in 2005) my bulimia always returns. i have had an ED since i was about 11 or 12. my relationship with food is very screwed up to say the least.

i am hoping to change my life....FOREVER. 

i am 41. i have 2 daughters (4 & 9). my husband is wonderful, he puts up with so much anger and rage and depression on my part. we live in NY, on long island, after 10 years in the UK. moving back to where i grew up has been difficult. i miss my life in england, but i am happy to have my daughters with my parents. i have gained over 50lbs in 18 months of being back in the US. from AD's and comfort eating. also drinking too much. i have given up my wine for lent and plan to stay off it, except for holidays. i really drank too much, too often.

so that is the tip off the ice berg on me....i do not want to scare everyone right off the bat.
i'd love to have you guys as SPD buddies and supporters.

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks for all the great responses-
megbel
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:06:51 PM by megbel »
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 08:40:20 PM »
Hi Megbel - Gosh!  It sounds like you really need a great support system.  I will do what I can for ya!  I am no stranger to eating disorders myself.  Although I was never truly diagnosed; I believe I was anorexic or near that when I was in my early 20's.  I had all of the classic symptoms of it - I even resorted to binge-eating and then taking laxatives.  What I find interesting is that eating disorders are never directly related to food - isn't that strange?  It usually stems from some sort of lack or loss of control.  Well, you have a support system in me! 

One thing that I have learned through the years is to set small, attainable goals to achieve like within the day or week, then I can commend myself for those as I meet those.  Ultimately those small goals will lead to the big goal - permanent weight loss!  I don't think it will ever be easy, but I do think it IS do-able! 

Until tomorrow!  I hope my book gets here!

Feenlida : )

megbel

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »
thanks feenlida-

i so  appreciate the support.
i have struggled with these demons for almost 30 years. isn't that insane?
i am really good, bulimia wise at the moment. but my weight is HIGH. spirits are low.
i am sorry that you struggled with anorexia in your life. i have been there and it is vicious.

off to have a shower and start the day.

it is chilly in NY this morning....yesterday it was 60 degrees....we have ruined our planet...oh, i am sure that is another forum. HA!

best to all, have a super tuesday-
meg
[/url]