Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Hi! I'm new  (Read 4090 times)

beeMe

Hi! I'm new
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
:)  Hi!  I am so new that my book hasn't even arrived yet.  I read about [u]The Seratonin Power Diet [/u] in [u]First[/u], a women's magazine.  You know how it is.  You're standing in line in the supermarket and pick up a magazine to cure your boredom.  At least, that is what I did this time, and I bought the magazine!

I am sick of diets and food plans.  None of them have ever helped my cravings.  The closest I have come was this summer, when I went to a nutritionist.  I finally could eat potatoes and certain kinds of rice again.  Amazing!  My blood sugar has been at a good range since I did that, and has never gone high, even when I eat something with sugar in it.  I also changed antidepressants.  I wonder if that has anything to do with my blood sugar.

I have been doing what I read in First since Wed.  I am doing well -- no cravings!  However, after I switched from bread for my carb snack to a granola bar, I found I was hungry.  I may have been up too late at night, and I really was hungry.  I don't know if I am doing everything right, but I feel better and that is great.  I am excited about weighing next Wed.

Looking forward to great things.

Bee  ;)

KrissyC

Re: Hi! I'm new
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:24:03 PM »
Hi Beeme! It seems a lot of us have joined the boards after reading about the plan in First. I am waiting (rather impatiently) for my book too!

How much weight do you want or need to lose? I'd like to lose about 50 pounds. I had the same effect you did from eating a granola bar vs. bread, and I think I might be even more satisfied if my carb snack were rice or potatoes, but I'm not sure if that's recommended. Hopefully it will be... I saw rice has a ton of carbs in it.

Krissy

feenlida

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »
Hi there!  I am new too, and also impatiently waiting for my book, and also read the FIRST article!  I actually tried to start the plan last week without the book, only to find that I didn't have enough information to do so.  I wasn't eating enough grams of carbs at snack times and ended up being extrememly hungry and unable to sleep.  I am not giving up though - I am still doing it on my own this week until my book gets here.  It was shipped on the 13th, so it should be here very soon.  I am going to go it alone until then, now that I have read nearly ALL of the posts - or so it seems - I think I have enough knowledge to get me through until I can read the book.  Let's keep in touch since we're all at the same starting point!  It will be great to have a buddy system.  I am so excited to do this!

honeyb2

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »
Hi beeme and others - just wanted to say hello as I am new too. I read about the SPD in a link from the Diet Detective website, ordered my book and started 2 weeks ago. I'm happy to report 6 lb weight loss in that time. Best of all, I do not have that "holding on by my fingernails, how long can I stand depriving myself" feeling that has been the bitter end of every other wt loss program I have tried.

I want to thank everyone who has posted on the forums for sharing their experiences. I had a lot of skepticism about the diet plan and would not have tried it if it weren't for your success stories. Also a big thank you to Judy and Nina for being so present and available for questions - that is pretty unique in my experience!

I know I will continue to enjoy exploring the forum and hearing of everyone's progress. Good luck to us all!
Started SPD 2/6/08
Starting wt: 170
Wt 2/18/08: 164

megbel

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
hi,

i am a newbie this week, too.

hooray for first magazine for getting us up and motivated to find this great place.

i am hoping to start this week. as soon as i have got my copy of SPD. i know it has shipped already.

i will weigh in soon too, will need my hand held for that. i have been on a month long binge.

so here is to all of us brave new SPD'ers.

so glad to meet you:
honeyb2
beemee
krissy & feenlida, of course-

i am megbel or just meg
xx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCF9DAQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCF9DAQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

KrissyC

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 10:33:30 PM »
Meg, when are you planning to weigh in?

You know, for better or worse, I usually try to weigh nearly every day. When I am doing the right things, the small daily fluctuations don't really bother me - I do it to make SURE I am keeping track of the trend of either going up, down, or staying the same.

I have not weighed for several days, because I always do it in the morning, no clothes, before eating, and the past few days I have gotten dressed or eaten or run out of the house too early to do it, so I am definitely getting back on that scale in the morning and I am nervous.

Years ago, when I gained weight (and got up to 232 max) I swear that I gained weight in 30 pound chunks, because it's like I would wake up overnight and be significantly heavier. Of course, that was my perception, because I didn't weigh often enough and I was wearing tshirts and leggings that furthered the illusion.

I would encourage you to get on that scale SOON and let's deal with the reality, and keep taking action from there. Just think - if you can find a way of eating that makes you feel better and helps you lose weight, whatever that number is, as you move away from it you won't have to see it again.

UNLESS you flub up like I have, stop working out and eat whatever doesn't eat you first, from the stress of turning your life upside down. But let's hope we've all learned a lesson from that! Haha!!!

Krissy

feenlida

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 07:51:25 PM »
Hi all!  Just got my book today, and I am sooooo excited to get reading, but I have to watch American Idol soon, so it will wait until that is over.....it is killing me to find out all of the good information!  Does anyone want to join in a "weigh day" - we could pick a day that suits all of us and each weigh in and share our successes!

Zoe

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
Hi, everyone.  I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  I have been on most every diet at one time or another in the past, including low-carb; where I lost 60 lbs but found the regimen too difficult to continue indefinitely. 

For many years, I've thought that there was something "psychological" keeping me from being successful at weight loss.  I find a plan, determinedly follow it to the letter and find some success.  Still, that's not enough motivation to keep me going long-term.  It's always like my brain feels the "need" to sabotage my efforts!

Each year, toward the end of winter, I feel mildly depressed.  This winter the depression was much more pervasive than usual.  Sooo, like several other posters here, I picked up "First" magazine while standing in line.  Leafing through I saw the SPD article and thought, "What if?  What if that's what's been missing in my physiological make-up?"  I knew serotonin production would help lift my spirits.  If the elevated levels [i]really[/i] took away my cravings, wouldn't that be great!

I bought the magazine on Wed, ordered the book and began the plan last Thursday.  Within 24 hours I began to feel better.  Within 48 hours, I felt almost giddy!  Yesterday, my husband asked me (jokingly) if I might be able to "dial back the serotonin a bit" so that I wasn't quite so bubbly.  :D

I've had no trouble at all staying with what I understand the plan to be.  In fact, for the past 2 evenings (when I usually tend to overeat) I've found it would be easy to skip the food.  I haven't, because I don't want to do anything to sabotage my progress. 

Hopefully my book will be here today.  When it arrives, I know what I will be doing!

I'm happy to have found the board and wish everyone great success!  Zoe

megbel

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »
OMG, zoe!!!!

what fantastic news. brilliant. you are doing so well.

i wat to feel giddy, too!

today is my first day.
enjoy the book. there is so much more to this plan than the little bit published in FIRST mag.

i just hope and pray it really works for all of us.

cannot wait to hear more from you.
megbel

« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:28:57 PM by megbel »
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:46 PM »
Hi Zoe!  I missed your post - sorry about that!  Welcome, and I am glad you are having great results!  keep posting!

JenniB

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »
Hello everyone, I"m new as well. I too read the article last week in the magazine and thought, Finally!!! this sounds like something I can do . I've done the low carb thing and of course I gained back everything that I lost and then some. Luckily we have a book store about 25 miles away and I went there Saturday and bought the book. I keep it with me always!!! I have done pretty well so far, I don't think I was eating enough protein for lunch because yesterday I was sooooo hungry. Tonight I had corn,  black beans, green peppers cooked together with some salsa and some dijon mustard, with some rice on a tortilla. It was very filling, hopefully I didn't over eat. As far as weighing in, I had a little disagreement with my set of scales and they somehow found their way out to the garbage can ;D so I'm going to have to go and buy some more. Good luck to all, hopefully we will all be succesful and  can help one another.

megbel

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »
hi jenni-

welcome. it's great to have so many of us just starting out these past 2 weeks or so.
i am on day 2 and so far it seems really doable and i am feeling much better than i did on the weekend.

get yourself some new scales ASAP. you'll want to check your results. or perhaps use a local shop if you do not wan them in your house. some folks do that.

please keep us update on how you're doing and feeling and if you have any tips!!

best to you-
megbel
[/url]

Better2no

• Ticker Factory
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »
How's everybody doing????
Zoe, I have felt giddy too!  It's amazing!
My cup overfloweth!!!!!!
Hope everyone has their books now.
If anyone is interested I made a chart for Phase 1 & 2 and it helps me plan my snacks/meals and shopping.  Just email me if you want a copy:  better2no@aol.com
Success to ya!
He knows my heart and loves me still :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wORAMN1/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wORAMN1/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

JenniB

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
Hello to all!!! My husband went out last week and bought some scales, this diet really blows my mind! To eat like this and lose weight. This is the best!!
Best wishes!
JEnn

yourlink2911

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 02:45:24 AM »
Well I too picked up a copy of First magazine a few weeks ago and have just been revisiting it.  I was wondering if anyone had any further information, but I see from these posts that I will just have to buy the book myself to help me along.  I was recently on WW and lost 30lbs, however, I became ill and gained it all back and have been so depressed about the fact that I would have to go back to counting points.  This looks just like what I need to get back to feeling better again.

I hope to check in daily once I begin this program, I have a high school reunion in August to attend and would like to look "HOT".  I have about 50lbs to lose~

Thanks to all who posted before me!