Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Giving this a try  (Read 7285 times)

itllbegoodtho

Giving this a try
« on: March 06, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
Well, I read about the program in First magazine, and I just got the book from the library while I wait for my own copy to arrive. One thing I'm very curious about is how there is no calorie counting. I weighed 255 when I recorded my weight on Sunday (day 1) and for a long time now, I have been reading so much information about how larger people need more calories simply to keep the body going. This program seems to be low on calories for someone of my body weight by that advice and research. I am thinking that once I re-start my workouts (I've been sedentary with a very bad bug and bronchitis for 2 weeks), I will crash. Anyway, I'm in it for a while, to really check it out. So far, so good. I can't really gauge my mood or my sleeping since I'm low energy and coughing a lot at night, but after another few days, I should be able to see. I do find the plan pretty easy to follow and am not craving. But the first few days of any plan are always pretty easy for me as I start with all these great intentions. I'll cruise around on the threads and get to know some of you soon. I'm away for the weekend but should be able to hang around a bit next week. My goal weight is about 155 or so - hard to tell. Right now I'm aiming for 170 and then going to make a new number at that weight. I'll have a lot of excess skin, I used to weigh even more than I do now. Hi to everyone, Corinne

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Giving this a try
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »
Welcome!
I would suggest starting with the men's portions until you think you're ready to drop down to the women's portions - try it out. You'll probably still lose weight, especially with exercise, and you may be more likely to stick to the plan because you won't be hungry with the men's portions.  If you stop losing weight or you feel too full, go to the women's portions.
I wish you the best - keep posting: there is fantastic support and inspiration here!
- Nina

megbel

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:37:16 AM »
hi there-

i started the plan on 2/25 and i was 228.8 lbs. i am losing very slowly, this morning i was 225.6.
you do NOT need extra calories. just try the plan as written or the men's portions as nina suggested.
you may surprise yourself. the food is satisfying, comforting and REAL.

i was hoping to lose a lot faster, as i am severely obese at only 5'6" tall, i need to lose 80lbs to have a healthy BMI. but i have challenged myself to 2lbs a week on this for now....i hope that works for me.

if you have more calories, you may not lose weight. try it as written.

best to you-
megbel

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCF9DAQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCF9DAQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Zoe

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »
Today was my 2 week weigh-in.  I've lost 8 lbs since starting.  Woo Hoo!  Like you guys, I have a lot of weight to shed.  Right now my goal is 70 lbs.  When I get there, I may try for a little more.

MegBel is right, you probably won't need more calories.  It's surprising how full you can feel with what seems to be none-too-much food.  What I decided to do was to [i]allow[/i] myself to eat men's portions anytime I feel the need.  About the only time I take advantage of that "extra" allottment is in the mornings.  For some reason I am always (have always been) hungry in the a.m.  However, by the time evening comes, I seldom can even finish the women's portions.  It's amazing!

BTW, MegBel, I'm glad to see the scale has started moving for you.  Now that it has budged, maybe the lbs will just melt off!  I'm sending positive energy your way!

itllbegoodtho

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »
Hey, thanks for the suggestion, Nina. Really appreciated. Right now, I am not having a big problem with hunger. It's more when I start to work out again that I had concerns. Also, I plateaued on a calorie count type diet when I wasn't getting enough food. But I will keep that in mind that the men's portions are an option, and try it out.

Thanks, Megbel and Zoe, for your support. Great to know that there are others out there with a bunch of weight to lose, like me.

Heading off for the weekend, but will be around. I'll figure out the profile thing and get a picture posted, too. Bringing my library copy of the book to read on the ferry.

Have a great day, everyone!

megbel

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:47:52 AM »
thanks zoe-

i am thrilled that you are having such a good loss and find the plan doable. i am just really hoping that by sticking to the plan as written that i will lose. but i am still hovering around the initial 3lbs loss i had in the first 3 days of last week. it is very odd, as if my body just does not want to let go.
in the past i could easily lose 6-12 lbs in 7 days on a ketosis inducing diet. i lost 75lbs in 5 months in 2005...and this morning i weigh 4 lbs more than i did when i started that diet. it is soul destroying.

i will continue trying to shift this weight w/ SPD.

perhaps you could tell me what a day in the life of zoe is food and exercise wise.
and again, thanks-
megbel
[/url]

Zoe

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »
Megbel, I'm sorry.  I thought the 3.2 lb was indicative of the scale moving, since you ticker was at 2.2.  

I know what you mean about faster loss on some other plans but I think a lot of that loss was fluids (at least for me.)  I had great luck with LC for a few months.  Then, I sort of hit a plateau and it slowed waaaay down.  Even so, I LCed most of the time for 3-4 years.  I lost 70 lb on LC and became convinced that I HAD to live that way for the rest of my life.  Eventually I just felt mentally depleted though and I gave up.  Within a week (and I still wasn't eating much, you know how LC takes away your desire for carbs) I had gained 5 lbs.  Six months off LC, I was back up 60 lbs. and craving carbs all day and night!

I am fortunate to be having good weight loss on SPD, and I'm thrilled with the energy and mood boost I'm getting.  As for a day the life...  Well, I'm not working the plan all that strictly.  

As I wrote earlier, I have a lot of breakfast - usually my "fruit" is actually a serving of 100% grape-cherry or grape-pomagranate juice as soon as I wake, followed by 2 eggs and 2 pcs of high fiber, low cal, dry toast.  Some days I make steel cut oats, stir in a lot of chopped apple that I've cooked with splenda and cinnamon and have a glass of milk

I try to fit in about 1 1/2-2 miles of walking soon after breakfast, 3 days a week.  On 3 alternate days, I do about 30 minutes of weight resistance sometime before the day is over.  Sun I do nothing.

I have a snack about 1 hr before lunch.  (Often I find that I don't really want lunch an hour later, because I'm not hungry.  I make myself eat then anyway.)  That's usually something like pretzels and a Diet Coke, though I love those Quaker Minis that are caramel (or is it toffee?) and have them often.

Lunch has been one of 2 things almost every day.  It's either a huge bowl of lettuce, a grated carrot and a chopped, baked chicken breast with lite dressing; or it's been a bowl of cream of veg soup (homemade), one serving of which equates to about 2 servings of veggies, and a few slices of baked pork loin or baked chicken.  I have eaten Chicken Taco Salad from a local restaurant a few times but didn't eat the fried shell.

Afternoon snack, usually about 5:30 p.m., is often a granola bar.

I try to eat supper around 7 p.m.  If I didn't eat my soup for lunch, I often have it for supper with a roll.  I've eaten pasta with vegetables a lot.  One of my favorite dishes is Mexican Rice (steamed brown rice, black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chilies, salsa, etc) with a little (very little) Monterey Jack cheese.  I'm finding that no matter what I make for supper, I have a hard time eating more than 1 cup of food.  It all appeals to my senses, I just don't have any room!

Somewhere around 9 p.m. I eat my last snack.  Again, I never want it, no matter how good it is.  It's like taking medicine for some reason.  

TOM is here and for the last few days I have been craving chocolate.  At first I told myself NO.  Then I decided to temper that by having a few (1 TBS) dark chocoloate M&Ms.  By being still and truly savoring them, they did the trick.  I've had a TBS a day for 3 days now.  Again, before this diet, I would have eaten the whole bag but I'm satisfied with just the few.

Like you, I'm just getting started on this WOE, so I don't have a lot of experience to share.  Still, if there's anything else I can do to be of help, just ask.

Best of luck! Zoe

Better2no

• Ticker Factory
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »
Wow, thank you bdulong60
I look forward to your input because you are further along than most of us, you have worked hard, and you are so kind to keep inspiring us.
I think you are so right!  We've been fooled and yo-yoed all over the place with fad diets, counting, weighing, no protein, all protein, yadayadayada
I am just so grateful to feel better after a long period of depression that I'm not focusing on the weight -- but I know how frustrating it can be to be disciplined and not see those instant results we may have experienced on those "quick-fix" diets.  
Welcome Corinne.  If you keep reading the book you'll see how the science of this diet can help you.  I think we're all finding out what works for us in the stage we are in.  The only calories I am counting are my snacks, then I'm sticking to portions and watching fat, and timing for having protein and carbs.  So far that's working for me.
Meg, Still praying for you sweetie.  Thanks for being a new friend and encourager.
Zoe, love the cat!  C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S on the 8 lbs. You're such an inspiration.
Giving this a try .... can change your life!  It's changing mine.
Lillie
He knows my heart and loves me still :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wORAMN1/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wORAMN1/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Zoe

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »
Lillie - Thanks for the Congrats!  And the same to you.  You're finding success, as well.  Like you, I am so excited about the psychological lift that comes with this WOE that it seems nearly as important as the weight loss.  (I can say that because I'm not frustrated.  If the scale was being stubborn, I'd probably feel as frustrated as Megbel.)

I, too, like my cat picture.  Mio was such a sweet little guy.  Sadly, he died just before Thanksgiving.  We've since adopted 2 other cats from the shelter.  They're nice but Mio was special!

megbel

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 05:17:25 PM »
thanks bdulong, zoe and miss lillie-

you're ideas, comments and support are so appreciated. i am down, plain and simple. having a hard time shaking it. i felt much better last week. i cannot blame it on pms as i am only day 18 of my cycle. but it almost feels that way. my blood test reveled that my hormones (prog. estrogen and test.) are no where near balanced. i am not showing any signs of menopause. but i have some fibroids and feel crappy all the time. so hopefully i will get this sorted out.

yes, i did lose 75lbs and gained all back, plus 7 lbs more. but, i am no longer a fast loser. my body seems to have lost the ability to lose, only gain. gosh i am sick of the sound of my own whining voice and i will make this my last post about it.

thanks for your food plan zoe. i am amazed and thrilled  that you can lose on that much breakfast, you lucky duck! i will keep all these ideas in mind. i think that the fact that i no longer feel good is worse than losing so slowly. but, at least i am not on a binge.

as it is lent, it is pizza and pasta night in our house on fridays. wish me luck, my glorious pals-

i am so happy that you are all well and good.
meg

[/url]

Better2no

• Ticker Factory
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
"Miss" Lillie?  Is that like Driving Miss Daisy....?  :o
(oh I feel so old!)

I must confess I am not "trying" this diet.
I have made a commitment for the 12 weeks.
I needed this so badly I was at the end of myself.
The book, the authors, this site, your encouragement, prayer,
all keep me going.  I hope for all of us to find exactly the
inspiration and determination we need to do more than try
but succeed!!!!!!!
If I am fair to do this plan and give it 12 weeks,
and as long as I don't have a mental breakdown or gain 2 lbs. every week
I'm stickin to it!
Appreciate y'all,
Lillie
He knows my heart and loves me still :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wORAMN1/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wORAMN1/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Zoe

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 07:31:35 AM »
Megbel - Yeah, I do eat a lot of breakfast but I think it's working for me.  I don't really [i]love[/i] eggs either.  That's why I have to have the dry toast.  :D  However, I've read repeatedly in the past year or so about how eggs are now considered to be a good thing for weight loss, so I thought I'd give 'em a chance.  (Apparently, leucine, which is high in eggs, promotes fat loss, slows lean muscle loss, stabilizes blood sugar and may help prevent macular degeneration.)  Because I don't use butter, the whole meal is about 225 cal, which doesn't sound so bad.

How's your plan going now?  Are you finding success?

megbel

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 08:37:54 AM »
;)you know zoe, you may have found a real winner for yourself-
they say that people who eat a 'real' breakfast are the ones who statistically maintain their weight.
this is a fabulous tool to have. i struggle with eating in the am.
i am so used to NOT having anything or just a food replacement shake, that the meals seem gluttonous, LOL!!! of course they are not. they are low cal, low fat and perfect.

i am having slow success. but still feeling really low and emotionally hungry at times.
still, it is better that where i was 15 days ago.

the big picture is my new focus. not the scale.

best to you zoe- am so pleased for your great loss!!!
megbel
[/url]

Zoe

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
[quote author=megbel link=topic=176.msg1086#msg1086 date=1205152674]
;)i struggle with eating in the am.  i am so used to NOT having anything or just a food replacement shake, that the meals seem gluttonous, LOL!!!
[/quote]

I understand what you mean about breakfast.  I've been the same way for years.  I've either not eaten breakfast, and then been ravenous for lunch; or I've "snacked" through the morning, assuredly taking in more calories than a sensible "real breakfast"!

Recently I spent a lot of time thinking about what I do differently now than I did when I was younger (and thought I was so fat at 140 lbs. with a 23 inch waist...  :o )  I'm less active than I was then but there are many things about my diet and eating habits that were much more "normal" then than they are now.  It's a vicious cycle, I think.  I quit eating sensibly because I was desperate to lose weight.  Then, deprived of all the "good stuff" (junk) I would break my diet, eat like there would be no tomorrow, only to start all over with another "quick fix."

I see that your ticker has moved today, for certain!  That's great.  I know it's hard when you don't see swift results.  It can be especially overwhelming when you have a lot to lose.  In the past, when I've focused on the true amt. I need to shed and felt hopeless.  This time, I'm trying to be like you and focus on the long run.  Also as you said, I'm much better off than I was 15 days ago.

I do wish you could get a great mood boost out of this though!  It's been the most amazing thing for me.  Maybe you'll have better results in that dept. when your dr. works her magic.

megbel

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »
oh zoe, what i would do to be in 140's again....
i was 145-150 in the summer of 2005....i loved it, but i was still not happy. i think i am miserable with myself big or small. that is my disease, big time.

i am too hoping for that serotonin surge this week. so i will stay here another week before i try phase II.

yes my ticker moved for my official monday weigh in. not great, but still averaging 2 lbs a week.
i just hope it does not go forward again.

have a super brilliant serotonin blast day-
megbel
[/url]