Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: 5HTP?  (Read 8552 times)

Mizmichele

5HTP?
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:32:07 AM »
My psychologist mentioned 5HTP. Dr. Nina, what can you tell me about this and how, if at all, would it affect this program?
-Michele

megbel

Re: 5HTP?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:33 AM »
what brand is best and what dose?

megbel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCF9DAQ/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wCF9DAQ/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:08 PM »
It might help, but if you use it, eating carbs will make it work even better.  I'm sorry I can't recommend a specific brand or dose but do ask at a reputable health food store.  Studies have shown that to get the appetite suppressing effects, it might put you to sleep (which could be a way not to overeat!).  If it helps, great - keep us posted!

Better2no

• Ticker Factory
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
It seems that many of us have struggled with depression.
I'm wondering if it would be good to have a main topic, "Depression"
on the Home board, and "antidepressants" could be a sub-topic?
I know it was the main reason I sought out this book, not weight loss.
Lillie
He knows my heart and loves me still :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wORAMN1/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wORAMN1/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »
When I took the 5HTP I started with 60 mg capsules - I took one a day, then I increased it up to two 60 mg/ per day - at different times - one in the am and one in the pm.  Then I went to a 120 mg capsule.  I really reaped the benefits of it!  My mood was improved within four days!  Now, I don't even need it.  I will tell you to be very careful as to not take too much, especially doing the SPD, because you may become very nauseated.  5HTP is a carbohydrate deterrant as well as a serotonin uptake, and I would be concerned that it may upset your stomach to take that on top of increasing your serotonin through carb snacks.  You may have to play with it a bit,,,,good luck!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
Good idea, Lillie!  I changed the "antidepressant" category to "depression".  I also changed the "bipolar" category to "bipolar disorder/Depression medications.  So hopefully the categories will not be better suited to members of this board.  Keep the suggestions coming!  Thanks for your input.

6ducklings

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »
I started taking 5-htp a year ago.  It has done wonders for pms.  I was taking it an hour before I ate before each meal (and it did suppress my appetite) but it made me too tired.  I literally could take a big long nap every day from it (which sounds nice, but is not very practical!)  So, I started only taking it in the evening, an hour before bed.  This seems to ward off pms symtoms for me, and it also helps me sleep.  If it wasn't for the expense and the tiredness effect, I would take it as an appetite suppresent.  But that is what the serotonin diet is for!  It works the same way! 

By the way, I personally take a 200 mg. tablet every night.  This is working for me. 

megbel

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »
thanks for all this info folks-

i am willing and wanting to try 5-HTP.

wondering if anyone has tried sAMe?

megbel
[/url]

feenlida

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
Hey Megbel!  Long time no talk!  I am the poster girl for 5HTP - I am telling you - that stuff delivered me from my mood swings and depression.  I have a neat story of how the Lord has his hand in EVERYTHING.  This is how I found 5HTP - I was looking through the coupons in the Sunday paper, and I came across one of those Doubelday book club advertisements where you can get 5 books for 1 cent - you know the kind.  Anyway, as I looked at the book selections, there was a book about 5 HTP - saying that it would alleviate migraines, depression, bipolar, eating disorders - all of which I had had or been diagnosed with in years previous.  SO I wrote the name of the book down and went and bought it at the book store.  It was the best thing I EVER did - aside from psychotherapy.  I believe the Lord led me to this stuff through that advertisement - Once I started taking it, I noticed a change in my mood within four days - within two weeks I felt 90% better - eventually - my moods swings and depression were gone, and I stopped taking it altogether.  I had been on several different chemical drugs - all of which did nothing for me, and I felt like a guinea pig!  Very rarely, I take it just before my ladies days, because I tend to get a bit irritable, but even that has subsided with having the carb snacks.  I highly recommend it - of course check with your doctor too!  Please let me know how it goes for ya, if you do try it!

6ducklings

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »
I tried Sam-e without feeling any benefit.  I've tried everything really.  5-htp has been the absolute best.

megbel

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:52:14 AM »
feenlida-

you are so super to share all of this great information. i am off to find some 5-HTP. any ideas on brands or dosage?

how are you doing otherwise?

i am struggling with my food choices at the moment. not unusual for me, but my dr. and i are working on getting me well. i am going to look into OA meetings as well.

i have not been feeling great and really, really want to be WELL!

many thanks to you and 6ducklings.
megbel
[/url]

6ducklings

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 09:10:09 AM »
I take the NOW brand.  You do have to be careful with brands because if they aren't capsuled right then they can make you sick to your stomach.  I have not had that with the NOW brand.  Can't comment on other brands.  I got mine from iherb.com .  They seem to have the best prices.  Just remember, if you decide to take it during the day, you *will* be tired.  I really would start taking one a night before you go to bed  (on an empty stomach).  I personally think you should start taking 100 mgs. a day and see how that works for you.  Just my opinion though!

One great thing about this diet is that I get the serotonin benefits without the tired feeling during the day.  In fact, I feel so much energy!  It's really the best of both worlds.

feenlida

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »
megbel - I started with Natrol 60 mg capsules, but then I couldn't find them on the shelves anymore, so I found them online at [u]americannutrition.com. [/u]  I ended up getting twice as many capsules for just a few dollars more.  For as well as they worked for me,,,,I think I would've paid whatever I had to be well again.  I am so thankful that they worked for me, and I pray you have as much success as I did. 

As far as how I am doing - rather well!  I feel really good, I am sleeping great, and I am just loving the carb snacks!  I think I told you that I was doing a combo of the SPD and Weight Watchers points.  I am basically following Phase 2 of SPD, because it works best with WW.  I love that I get all of my veggies in too - that was always a difficult thing for me to do, because my taste pallet does not allow for too much of a variety - a lot of veggies taste very bitter for me, and I can only do so much salad!  I have been enjoying beets and carrots and mixed veggies!  I have been consistently losing about 2 lbs a week ,with exception to my "ladies days" week when I only lost .5 pound. 

Please let me know how you do on the 5HTP - I really think you will be amazed!