Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Why no carbs at lunch?  (Read 1207 times)

6ducklings

Why no carbs at lunch?
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:44:04 PM »
Sorry for yet another question.  Why no carbs at lunch?  I don't remember reading the answer to that in the book.  Just curious...

feenlida

Re: Why no carbs at lunch?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:26:56 PM »
I think it has something to do with most people needing more serotonin in the later afternoon rather than earlier.  I know that they had mentioned something about teachers having their carb meal at lunch time because teachers have more stress, so it obviously has something to do with the level of serotonin being produced. 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Why no carbs at lunch?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »
The reason there are no carbs at lunch is that you've already had your carb snack before lunch to take the edge off your appetite and more carbs at lunch, eaten with protein, would simply add calories without getting the serotonin effect.  This diet is about the most serotonin (bang) for your calorie (buck).  And feenlinda is right - serotonin levels are naturally higher earlier in the day which is why you need the serotonin later in the day.