Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Snack Ideas  (Read 3163 times)

Meigg

Snack Ideas
« on: October 16, 2007, 05:15:50 PM »
I found that the Pop Secret snack packs, low fat Honey Grams, Nature Valley Granola Bars and Skinny Cow ice cream cones all make great snacks.  I was using the graham crackers for a long time and got sick of them.  It is nice to bring two different snacks to work and even have ice cream for dessert - it makes me feel "normal"! ;D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi4ujRu/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wi4ujRu/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

[/url]

Alice

Re: Snack Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:36:59 PM »
Dear Meigg,

I've shunned carbs for so long and am now having so much fun trying different snacks & cereal. 

At first, I was just eating boring bread sticks, but since then have discovered a world of low fat, high carb snacks that are really good.  Some I've found in the "green" product section, but several are in the regular aisles.

Snack Favorites:  Alessi biscotti (crisp almond cookie) - dip in water or tea to soften . . .
                        Sunbelt oatmeal bar, low fat wheat thins

From green section:  chocolate crackers, rice thins crackers (good w/ bit of jam), Blue Diamond
                            brand smoked almond crackers

I just bought some low fat cheese-its & oreo crackers,  but haven't tried them yet.

'Also, the Special K cereal[b] blends [/b] are very good for a snack or at breakfast.

Dinner note:  For the first time in years, I bought a gravy mix & had veg. and rice w/ gravy for one of the carb meals . . . what a treat!  Because of the serotonin appetite control, I was able to enjoy it, yet not over do! 
(1/4 cup = 3 g fat, so you have to be careful, but still, it was a treat that I normally would have passed by)!  I feel like I've been reborn . . . and have a new chance to enjoy food w/o the angst.

Meigg

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:46:30 PM »
I never thought of gravy for the rice or potatoes!  Thanks!  and I definately need to check out the biscotti -

thanks for sharing ;D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi4ujRu/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wi4ujRu/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

[/url]

Alice

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:09:20 AM »
Thanks!
'Just want to emphasize that the gravy was a "treat" - not something I would do every time and also to be careful w/ serving size because of the fat grams.  Still, it was such a luxury to have and added to the delight of this new way of eating  . . .

Tonight, I had a baked apple after my snack, as I hadn't had fruit today.  Even though it was good, I could't finish it!   :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:20:28 PM by Alice »

marigolds

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:16:17 AM »
Just call me the Pretzel Lady.

Have also discovered Hostess 100 calorie snack packs of cupcakes.  These are high in fiber too.

Alice

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
I have more snacks to add to the list:
About 15 crackers = 1 snack

Blue Diamond Pecan crackers - really good
Ginger Sesame Rice crackers  - really good  (Back to Nature brand)

Also, the low fat Cheese-its are good (29 pieces) & Oreo crackers (1 1/2 bags)

I have an October "peaceful interlude" to share:
I didn't get to my afternoon snack until around 6 pm., just as daytime was settling into dusk.  I decided to "enjoy the moment" and made a large cup of hot tea with an assortment of the dainty rice & pecan crackers & biscotti served on china.  I nestled on the sofa and just enjoyed the time of day, the woods, the warm tea and my precious new treasure of beautiful carb snacks!  Then I went for a short walk just before dark - so filled with joy & new hope for this way of eating, and full & satisfied from the snack, which was truly "fit for a Queen"!

(The assortment was about 6 ginger crackers, 6 pecan crackers & 3 biscotti)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 03:09:02 AM by Alice »

Alice

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 11:24:06 PM »
More snack updates:

low fat poptart (one), cinnamon/brown sugar

Blue Diamond Hazelnut crackers

Tomato Herb Rice Crackers

Pretzel crackers & mustard

Pumpernickel / onion &/or cucumber sandwich
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:25:57 PM by Alice »

Yvonne

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 07:03:55 AM »
I love all these snack ideas. I'm going to make a list.

I've discovered a few of my own but they seem pretty boring compared to the wonderful things you've all come across. My favorite is just a plain old chewy bar that I have for my kids. It's quick and I always have one in my purse for emergency purposes. And to think I've been feeling so guilty eating them for the last few months.

Have you all noticed though that you have so many snacks around all the time? I bought 3 different kinds of graham crackers because they were all allowable. My kids have been snacking too but I'm surprised they aren't gone. My 13 y/o wants to "diet" with me but probably because of the snacks.

Our cereal is lasting a lot longer too, come to think of it. I was always loved a bowl or two of cereal after dinner. But now I've barely touched it even for my snack. It's as if I'm done with it. The craving is gone.

I love your "tea time" idea, Alice. Snack time really is that special because there's no more guilt.

onthegacoast

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:33:24 PM »
My latest morning snack has been the new chocolate chex cereal.  I just gotta have a little chocolate each day, and this does the trick.  I haven't had a poptart in ages.  I'll have buy some lowfat ones, so I can treat myself.

KrissyC

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »
Poptarts! Yay!!

But you make me want a soft pretzel - does anyone know if there are soft pretzels that would be healthy enough to eat on this plan, for the carb snack especially. That and mustard sounds divine!

Krissy

feenlida

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 04:29:20 PM »
GOSH!!!  All of you have made me hungry and ready for my after lunch snack - it's time.  I think I realized that I have not been eating enough.  I just can't believe that all of the things I have been labeling "bad carbs" for two years are exactly what I needed to be eating.  Thanks for all of the snack tips - I am actually looking forward to going to the grocery store now!  That is why I can't wait for my book to get here.  I am only working off of the article in FIRST magazine - I am starting to realize that is was very vague and there is much more to this diet than I realized!