Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Vegetarian?  (Read 1600 times)

marigolds

Vegetarian?
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »
Do you know any vegetarians who have successfully followed this plan?  I've been considering vegetarianism (lacto ovo) long before I started this plan.  I am thinking it could be very doable with all the options available.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Vegetarian?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »
You can definitely follow the plan as a vegetarian.  With soy products, beans for lunch protein, low fat and fat free dairy, eggs and egg whites, you'll have no problem (as long as you're creative with your options so as not to get bored).  Supermarket aisles abound with great options.

marigolds

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »
Thanks Nina, I am going to do it.  But question about beans.  I thought they were counted as a carb and not a protein??  I know soy beans are very high in protein and counted as such, but I thought other beans were a carb?

I cannot believe how helpful you are with all these questions.  These answers really help us follow the plan more accurately.  Thanks.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
You're right about most beans being a bit more carb than protein, but for vegetarians, beans are a fine options for protein.  Our bean recipes in the book pair it with corn, tortilla, bread or other starch so as not to have too much protein for dinner which would limit the amount of serotonin production when you need it in the evening.  In general, choose soy products (there are so many in the frozen food and refrigerator sections of supermarkets and adzuki beans (canned) for the highest protein content.  White beans are the starchiest so that would be a good carb bean choice.  Nobody in this country is going to become protein-deficient, especially if you include egg and dairy products in your diet, so don't worry if the beans have less protein content than, say, lean chicken.  What is most important is to have the carbs when you need it and experiment with how satisfying the bean products are at breakfast and lunch. 

I'm glad you find our suggestions helpful - thanks for the feedback.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 07:26:55 PM »
I forgot to add that lentils are an excellent protein option - think Indian food which includes brown, yellow, and red varieties that are not only delicious but beautiful as well. 

And don't forget the anti-gas Bean-o if digesting those beans is problematic.

marigolds

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
Thank you very much - I was afraid to use beans (other than soybeans) as a protein source - I am still making my way through the book and have not come to all the recipes yet - this is great news!