Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: New & struggling  (Read 1363 times)

soulfulpsy

New & struggling
« on: March 14, 2009, 10:44:36 PM »
Greetings from Fresno.  I've been overweight for years, in large part to my (successful) struggle to quit smoking & an antidepressant.  I was impressed with your book and on Thursday started Phase 1.  However, it was a serious struggle (intense cravings, headache).  When I checked the calories I realized that they are probably at least half of what I'm used to; in fact, given my weight, I could lose weight based on calories if I were to drop to 2500/day (in line with the common denominator reaffirmed by the recently published study of a group of weight-loss programs).  So, I am wondering if there would be some value in upping the calories a bit (in proportion to the guidelines & recipes) at least for awhile.

Any and all thoughts & suggestions will be much appreciated!

strawberryhill

Re: New & struggling
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:38 AM »
Hi New and Struggling,
I am new too and perhaps the moderators will correct me. I also started on Thusday but am having no struggles. However, the only thing that I am weighing or measuring is to make sure that my snacks fit the guidelines and my dinner portions and choices are extremely low fat and no protein. I eat enough to be satisfied but find that I do not need anywhere near as much as I did. I have lost 4.5 pounds in these 4 days. I know that will not be the norm but is only because I have just started. It would be my suggestion to make sure you eat enough to be satisfied but do not overeat. If you choose snacks with the right proportions it should not be so hard. My choice is 2 whole cinnamon flavored graham crackers before lunch and mid afternoon. Yesterday I added an additional snack later in the evening as I had dinner late then had no snack after dinner. Was very pleased on the scales this morning. I also have increased my water intake as I learned a long time ago that this is helpful. Getting in 6 to 8 8ounce glasses a day is the norm but for some reason I have to make myself do it. Hope this helps

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:10:51 PM »
HI, and welcome!
One thing that works for a lot of people is to start with the men's portions until you get used to the rhythm of eating and get some stand-by meals and snacks going, if you're way too hungry at the beggining and that makes it difficult to imagine staying on the plan for a while, this will make following the program easier.  Once you get used to it, you may find you can gradually drop down to the women's portions.  The key is to avoid a binge and it happens that on some days you simply need a few extra calories or you need an extra snack.  That is fine if it avoids a binge - remember, this is a long-term plan and you have to sometimes make some "mistakes" to learn what works.  We've heard many examples of people who have done very well on the plan (they feel great and lose weight) and then they go back to their former eating habits and in doing so, they have a contrast to how well the Serotonin Power Diet works for them and, by getting off track, they are motivated to get back on the SPD and stick with it.

Whatever you do, pay attention so you know what works and what doesn't, you may have to fine-tune the times of day you eat or the portions, but just remember, you must be eating your protein earlier in the day, and time your carb snacks and carb dinners such that you're not eating them less than at least 2 and optimally at least 3 hours after you eat protein.

And keep moving AND treating yourself with respect and kindness.

- Nina

soulfulpsy

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:01:53 AM »
Thank you both for your suggestions.  I have to say, though, that I had already started with the men's portions because, well, that's what I am.  So, my inclination is to keep the overall balance but to increase the portions a bit until I can find something that works well enough for me.  Does that seem okay?  Also I've purchased a little CalorieSmart unit in which I can find or enter the nutrition values for the foods and meals I am eating.  It can be a bit on the tedious side at times (my wife calls it my new hobby), but I am finding it is worth the effort simply for self-awareness.

And, yes, I do like the low fat honey graham crackers and the regular cinnamon graham crackers. 

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 08:51:11 PM »
My apologies for not realizing that you are a man!  Great idea to both increase the portion sizes when you felt too hungry to keep the calorie intake lower.  And fantastic idea to track what you eat.

Many of our clients and readers request the calorie content of every snack and meal, we tried to keep it simple by listing portions but when our paperback edition comes out (hopefully Jan 2010 - fingers crossed!), we will list the calorie content.

Many studies show that by simply tracking what you eat, you will naturally eat less - same for bidgeting, by the way, if you make a note of all that you spend, you start anticipating that you don't want to overspend your budget, so keeping a food (and spending!) diary is a great way to help you lose weight and keep your money in your bank account.