Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Larry King "Diet Debate" A Disappointment  (Read 3357 times)

marigolds

Larry King "Diet Debate" A Disappointment
« on: October 20, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »
I was very disappointed in the show last night.

The only words I truly connected with came from Jillian, the excercise coach and mentor, who didn't even speak much and who called Gary Taubes low carb-agenda book what it is, basically a bunch of crappy information to sell books, and at the end of the day what really matters is calories in and calories out.

I was very disappointed in Andrew Weil, who basically defended Gary Taubes.  Dr. Oz fared a bit better, but all these folks kept saying over and over and over again was to avoid simple carbohydrates.  Like they are the devil.

I don't think it's that simple.  I have been eating very controlled amounts of simple carbohydrates during snack time.  11 sour cherry jel balls (35 g. carb),  and a cup of black coffee for midmorning snack fill me up, lets me eat less at lunch.  A measured portion of pretzels during midafternoon break gets me through until dinner, where I am satisfied with my Serotonin Surge dinner.

Most nights I don't need my evening snack. 

What would the so callled "experts" on Larry King say to the above?  I have tried low carb in all its forms including low glycemic index/load.  They left me hungry, irritable, depressed, and honestly, I just didn't lose that much weight. AND I WAS SO CONVINCED IT WOULD WORK, I DID IT IN ALL IT'S FORMS FOR A FEW YEARS!

I have tried simple calorie counting.  Hungry all the time.  Now I can control my calories without hunger and that to me is nothing less than amazing.  I am slowly weight and have no doubt I will get this weight off.  Sure sometimes I'm hungry, but it's a controllable hunger until my next meal or snack, nothing like the uncontrollable starvation I suffered on every other diet.

So sure, brown rice is better than white, a cup of black bean soup is no doubt more nutritious than my sour balls, and whole wheat or spelt pretzels have more fiber than my Weight Watchers BBQ Pretzel Thins. 

But I am sorry, in my humble opinion that is only part of the story.  I feel better physically and mentally than I have in a long time, despite those evil carbs.  I wonder what the experts would say about that.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Larry King "Diet Debate" A Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »
I agree with you completely!  First of all, it was all men supporting a low-carb way of eating and since men naturally have more serotonin than women, they can usually (but not always) tolerate a lower-carb diet than most women.  Never mind the carbs/serotonin people on antidepressant medications need.  And they said nothing about emotional overeating, although Dr. Oz (who kept on being interrupted by Gary Traubes) did mention the stress/belly fat connection he didn't talk about the stress-overeating connection specifically.

Yes, it was great to get Gillian's balanced approach to eating and exercise.  And teh biggest loser person was also more balanced about her eating.

Someone should tell Joy, the host, that the reason she's probably gained weight since menopause is a lack of serotonin so a low carb diet will be really tough to maintain.  So much misinformation out there - everyone needs to do what feels right for them in the end.

marigolds

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 06:24:14 PM »
Yes Nina exactly!  And everyone does need to find what really works for them in the end, and I'm glad I found it.

I have been eating this way for maybe seven or eight days now, although it seems longer!  I have lost 4 pounds as of this morning.  I haven't lost 4 pounds in a week since I was in my 20's. Without any feelings of deprviation.  This morning my husband (who needs to lose a lot of weight) told me that I am much more serene and much less tense than I normally am.  And only after one week!  I don't feel it's the placebo effect.  I know my body well enough to know that I just feel better, and I am losing weight.  And the main thing is, it's helping me emotionally.

I asked my husband if he'd be interested in learning about this way of eating as well, and he said "we'll see"...which means that as time goes on and he really sees this working for me, he'll folllow along as well.  I know him well enough by now to say that. 

Well, I hope the word gets out.  I myself only discovered this latest book by accident, when in the midst of a South Beach Diet depression and feeling at the end of my rope, I remembered the Serotonin Solution (Judy's last book), googled her name and found The Serotonin Power Diet.  Boy am I glad I did.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »
I'm glad you found out about our book, too, and again, so excited for you that you are responding so well not feeling deprived, better emotionally and losing weight - with all of this, why wouldn't your husband join you eventually?  Keep it up!

onthegacoast

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 03:09:12 PM »
Dr. Oz is an American darling right now, thanks to the media.  Unfortunately many people buy into the idea that it is what kind of food you eat and not the calorie content is the answer to weight loss.  I read again recently that it is in fact calories that affects our weight loss.  I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I have flirted with Dr. Oz's plan in the form of weight watcher's core plan.  I cannot lose weight on the plan.  I know that serontonin power is the best plan for me because I have lost weight on it over the summer.  Now I am returning to give it the old high school try again.  I just need to make it all the way through the 12 week period.  Today is the first day, I am looking forward to the energy boost when I follow the plan.  I need to stay away from media stories on weight loss, the biggest loser, etc. because I easily become swayed into their way of thinking.  That is that simple carbs are the root of the weight problem in our country.

marigolds

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:13:36 AM »
Coast, I know what you mean.  I have been easily swayed as well. In fact I did every form of low carb diet known to mankind, and my depression worsened.  This diet really does work.  I have no doubt that those "bad carbs" I have been eating in controlled amounts are really helping me.

I'll give you an example.  I spend most of my hours during the week at work (thank goodness I only live 10 minutes from work).  I was having a very bad day the other day and I felt depressed.  I went off this eating plan and although I didn't pile in the junk, I didn't eat my snacks, etc.  I felt only worse.  I am back on the plan, and although it is not a panacea and will not solve my problems, I do feel better mentally and that helps me cope better. 

That taught me a very valuable lesson.  Yes, calories matter absolutely.  But I definitely need this plan to help me cope mentally.  At some point in my life I may need to go on antidepressants and I accept that, but for now if I work the plan it works!  And I am very grateful for that.

I definitely agree that the present diet dilemma in this country is a lot more complicated than the "avoid simple carbs" mantra.

I also firmly believe that a lot of women (and men), thin or fat, are walking around depressed because they do nothing to build their serotonin levels through diet.  And the research on this is fascinating.

marigolds

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »
Coast, I forgot to add in my post that I tried the Core Weight Watchers plan like you,  and even though I followed it perfectly, I GAINED weight.

Also, curiously, even though I ate a ton of carbs on that plan I felt very depressed on it, as depressed as I felt on South Beach, which is lower carb!  I think maybe it was because I was eating a lot of lean protein along WITH the carbs on Core, and the amount of protein I was eating interfered with serotonin production.  For example, as you probably remember, on Core you can only eat cold cereal WITH a cup of nonfat or soy milk.  They do this to lower the caloric density...yeah, but it also halts serotonin production!

Now I know the timing of my carbs/protein is so essential to my well being.

onthegacoast

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 08:33:55 PM »
Marigold,
Back on the plan for 2 days, and my energy is soaring.  I was up before my alarm, and I did a quick run on the treadmill.  I feel like a normal person instead of a zombie.  When I did WW core, I would read these post where people were so energetic from eliminating the processed food from their diet, but not me.  I feel more energetic following the SPD. 
I had guest over for dessert tonight.  I made a cake and was not even tempted to try any.  Someone questioned me, and I just told them that I had a fall party at school today.  I alluded to the fact that I may have eaten sweets earlier.
FYI, I didn't lose weight doing core either.  Maybe we can make this 12 week journey together.  I will probably need encouragement as the holidays draw near.

marigolds

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 07:23:22 AM »
coast, you are doing great!  Keep it up!

Because this is the only plan that has worked for me lately (when I was in my 20's and 30's I could lose weight on ANY diet), I plan on always staying on it, long after the 12 weeks.  This is a lifetime commitment for me.

Because I've suffered from depression and also blues due to seasonal changes my whole life it seems, to get relief from that just through eating is nothing short of amazing to me.  So my priorities have shifted.  Now my mental health is my priority and the weight loss that's coming with it is an added bonus!  I decided I'd rather be less-depressed and still fat, if I had to make a choice, but I don't have to make that choice.  I can be less depressed and lose my weight too! 

I am glad you are feeling so good! :)

onthegacoast

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 08:45:36 AM »
I totally agree!  The restful nights and increased energy are priceless.  Weight loss is just a side effect.  I am using Calorie King to count calories just as an accountability measure.  I started SPD in the summer and followed it for a month before falling off the bandwagon.  That is when I begin buying into what the weight loss world is selling.  I should have just jumped back on and kept going, but I strayed.  I am back and wondering why I gave into the pressures of the weight loss world.

marigolds

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »
coast, if I could have all the money I spent on diets, books, gyms, special diet foods, diet groups and the like,  (since I was 13 and I'm a LOT OLDER than that now!)...no doubt I could buy the house of my dreams back east and finally get out of California! 

I still have bad days, but they are fewer than before and nothing like before.

I agree that the feeling of mental well being is the prize.  It's worth it's weight in gold.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »
Dear Marigolds,
It's so gratifying to hear about how the diet is having such a positive effect on your mental well-being.  By the way, I don't know what part of California you're living in, but I spent a total of 11 years in both SF and just south of SF (there were three years in there in the Boston area where I'm from) and now I'm back in the Boston area as of 2 months ago.  The two places are really very different.  It just feels like home here for and I'm so glad to have gone through all of the huge hassles of moving cross-country with three little kids in tow (5, 4, and 2) and all it took to set ourselves up here (not that we've completely settled, but we're in really great shape all things considered).  Since you write what you did, I hope for you that you do wind up on the east coast if that is where home is in your heart.  Every place has something to offer but we all know inside where it feels best.
- Nina

marigolds

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 04:35:38 PM »
Hi Nina, I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, settled out here in the 1980's. 

My heart is really back east even though I don't have any family left.  I almost settled in Boston around the 80's, but a job situation didn't work out.

Frankly, I would be happy anywhere back east - the southern states, etc.  I would never complain about the snow, cold weather and hurricanes again.  My roots are in the east, and the eastern states have a character that is so lacking out here.  I am in Southern California, L.A. County, and I've had enough.  My husband a native Canadian moved out here when he was 12, and he feels the same way. 

We are in our 50's and planning our retirement to leave CA in a few years from now.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »
Dear Marigolds,
Thanks for sharing - how great that you and your husband have a move to the east coast to look forward to.
- Nina