Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Exercise Questions  (Read 1468 times)

Laughing Whitefish

Exercise Questions
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
Hello, Shrinking Snackers, 
I have a couple of exercise comments/questions here.  First, in a book called, Spark, the author reports on the numerous and significant benefits to the brain brought on by aerobic exercise.  Of course, the physical benefits are many, too, we are told.  So, with that in mind, I have a question about the approach to exercise that involves multiple short, high intensity periods of exertion, followed by equivalent periods of rest.  (The procedure would be something like this:
2 Minute Warm-up
3 minute Exertion, Three minute rest
4 minute exertion, Four minute rest
5 minute exertion, Four minute rest
4 minute exertion, 3 minute rest
2 minute exertion, two minute rest

I have read that this approach results in high amounts of fat burning and muscle building as well.  I am not sure about the brain benefits. 

My kids are rowers, and they do 5x5s, which are essentially the same procedure.  It is extremely high intensity and then rest.  Any comments?  Thank a lot!!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Exercise Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
Interval training is considered the most effective - what you outline sounds great, just make sure the "rest" is not doing nothing but that you are keeping up at least a mild effort.  Excellent!

As for "brain" benefits, yes, all exercise has benefits in mental function, boosting mood, feeling more calm, etc.  All sounds great.

- Nina

p.s. love the "shrinking snackers" name!

Laughing Whitefish

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »
Thanks, Nina.  I thought rest meant rest (Like flopping down on the bench trying to recover!??!)  Is there a percentage of the max. heart rate that we are supposed to maintain during the "rest" period?  Thank you very much for the info.

Best wishes,

Heather

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
You're funny with the flopping down on the bench idea!  Please do not exercise to such a degree that you feel you are going to pass out or harm yourself!  "Rest" in aerobic exercise would be just barely able to carry on a conversation comfortably.