Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Any U.K Vegetarian dieters currently on Citalopram out there?  (Read 2278 times)

Sarasausage

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Hello

I eat some fish like tuna or prawns but that's about it! I'm after dinner ideas, my partner is full vegetarian so no need for me to make separate meals, and he may lose weight too (sneaky eh?).

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Any U.K Vegetarian dieters currently on Citalopram out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
Hi, and welcome!  It would be great if others can join in with ideas, but vegetarian options are perfect for the Serotonin Power Diet!  Our book is full of dinner ideas and recipes (if the US version is difficult to use because of ingredients or measuring amounts, the UK version is "The Good Mood Diet": same book but with UK-friendly language) so you could start there.  Also, our recipe of the month blog usually focuses on dinner recipes from which you can get some ideas (if you're interested, you can sign up on the top right corner of our web site) - any low fat vegetarian recipe will translate well and when you're in phase I, because you include a small portion of protein, including beans for your partner and yourself or tuna/prawns for your yourself will work out well.

We'd love to hear how things are going for you - in the meantime, here's to both you and your partner feeling your best!

Nina

lk1983

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:25:07 PM »
I know this thread is old, but in case anybody still sees it I wanted to share my ideas for a few vegetarian/vegan low fat dinners. Note that these are all my adaptations from low fat books/blogs which are great resources in themselves, just picked some of my favorites.

Kale Chickpea Potatoes (from the Engine 2 Diet book)
4-5 potatoes of any type (I like red) slice or shredded. Sprinkle with steak seasoning and paprika and bake at 450 for 25 mins or till browned to your liking.
Bunch of kale, wash, remove stems, chop and put in the oven (on a different pan) with the potatoes for the last 10 mins.
1 can chickpeas - rinse and drain and heat in microwave.
Put potatoes, kale and chickpeas together on a plate and cover with sriracha (or ketchup or more steak spice if you don't like spicy)

Rice n veg:
Cook any grain in a rice cooker or on the stove (I like white rice, brown rice, barley, corn grits/polenta, sorghum, etc. or a mixture of any of these. You can make them ahead for the week and store in the fridge or make fresh that night). When the grain is finished or almost finished, cook one of those "steamers" microwave in bag frozen veggies. Broccoli is the best IMO. When the grain is finished, combine with veggies and cover with your favorite sauce and spice. I usually do: soy sauce, sriracha, or thai sweet chili sauce. Some of my fav spices are chinese 5 spice, garlic powder, curry powder, garam masala. Experiment and find what you like. Oh and also nutritional yeast is great on top of this (it's good on everything in my opinion!)

This isn't really a recipe but I also like to do a low fat jar of spaghetti sauce with some whole wheat noodles. Add a zucchini or two cooked however you like it. Top with garlic, oregano and parsley.

Here are some resources for anyone interested in delicious low fat, meat free dinners:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
https://engine2diet.com/recipes/
http://www.brandnewvegan.com/indexes/recipe-index

lk1983

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:28:26 PM »
P.S. I took citalopram with trazadone for a little over a year and gained the most weight on that vs other antidepressants. My SPD snack of choice is saltines. I love to eat a few of those before lunch and dinner and it really takes the edge off.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 04:57:55 PM »
These meal ideas are fabulous - thank you so much for sharing them as well as the links to those great sites.  I'm all for simple meals with great seasoning and substance exactly how you're described.
I hope all is going well for you on the program with continued success.
- Nina