Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: A Couple of Questions  (Read 1636 times)

torobi36

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
A Couple of Questions
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:44:15 AM »
1. Do tomatoes count as a fruit or vegetable?
2. Is it okay that I eat more protein? I want to gain muscle, not lose it. I figure that I will be eating more calories, but I am good about working out (at least an hour a day), so there will still be a calorie deficit.
3. Will cheese count as a protein?
4. Beans are confusing. This isn't a question. Just a statement. I think I'll just avoid them usually.
5. If I want to eat more fruit, but still eat vegetables, would it be okay to sub one cup of vegetables for one piece of fruit during lunch? (i.e. 1 cup veggies, 1 fruit instead of 2 cups veggies)

I actually gained all my weight before going on antidepressants, but no matter how much I work out or diet, it won't budge, which is why I am trying this diet. And the fact that I get to eat a bunch of carbs. Bonus.

torobi36

Re: A Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »
Well since no one wanted to answer, I figured it out myself.
Tomatoes are veggies in this diet.
It's ok to eat more protein because the "portion" sizes are way too small for someone that works out a lot
Cheese is a protein.
Beans are a protein at lunch but a carb at dinner.
And I will eat fruit at lunch when I want to.
And basically I'm going to mess up with this diet but overall I'll be eating less and healthier so it'll be alright.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:53:48 PM »
Hello and welcome to the Serotonin Power Diet!

I'm happy to answer your questions:

1. Tomatoes are indeed considered a vegetable for the purposes of this program as you wrote
2. Actually, unless you are a competitive athlete requiring intense training of up to 4 hours a day or so (I'm making up the amount, but you get the idea), you will be consuming adequate protein by following the portion sizes outlined.  Ingesting excess protein leads the body to excrete what it doesn't use.  No harm, but you don't need the extra calories.  Did you know broccoli and grains have protein?
3. Cheese is a good protein source for the diet ONLY if it is very low fat or fat free, unless you're eating a total of one ounce and it is the only extra fat you are adding to the daily intake of food as outlined in the program
4. Yes, beans are a protein at lunch and a carb at dinner.  Most / many foods are a composition of protein, carbs, and fat so it can get tricky - but not at all impossible! - sometimes. Beans are terrific so please include them in your diet if you like them, too.
5. Yes, you can eat a serving of fruit from time to time instead of 2 cups of veggies.  It's just that veggies add more bulk and can feel more satisfying than fruit which has more calories per volume and may not feel satisfying.

I encourage you to follow the diet as written and see how it works for you - please give it a try with an open mind and give yourself a chance to see how how you feel on the program, how in fact your appetite can be controlled by eating foods that boost serotonin, that perhaps even that you don't have to over-exercise (you're looking for challenge but be realistic - 4 hours a week is a good place to start, if you can do more, great: keep it as intense as possible without causing injury, and mix it up as much as possible).  If you succeed in eating less and eating more healthy foods, excellent - I would definitely count that as a success!

Nina

torobi36

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:09:03 PM »
Thanks for the response.
So far it's been a week and I've lost 1.6 lbs, not bad, but as I am in a competition with my family, they are losing more. I am eating more calories than them though, and they have more to lose. I don't like to count calories, I get quite obsessive when doing that. It's not good for my mental health, lol.
I am feeling less hungry over all, which is nice. I've been skipping snacks because I don't notice the time and am not hungry.
Overall I believe it's working.
Thanks!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »
Hello again, and thanks for the update.  1.6 pound weight loss is a great way to start, that's terrific!!  whatever you're doing, keep doing it.  I'm glad you think things are working for you so far :-)

You're right that if someone has more weight to lose and they're consuming "less", it's likely they'll lose weight more quickly.  Keep in mind you're looking for a sustainable weight loss program that will work in the long run - quick weight loss with quick weight gain after bingeing which commonly happens after rapid weight loss is demoralizing and frustrating.  You're smart to be listening to yourself and finding a path that works for you, especially doing what is good for your mental health - I'm all for that.  Anyway, think of this as a long term weight loss solution and feeling good about yourself overall - you can check in with your weight loss family competitors in 6 months!

If you find your appetite is less controlled over time, make a big point of setting a timer or some other way to remind yourself to have the snack - they do wonders to curb appetite so you are less likely to overeat. 

We're here for further check-ins whenever you will find it useful,
Nina