Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Latte coffee!  (Read 684 times)

Rosalie

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Latte coffee!
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Hi, I'm brand new here and only into the second day of the diet. I have ordered the book and otherwise have tried to piece together how it all works.

I'm just so delighted to have finally found what seems to be the answer to my weight gain issues and my lack of success, over many years of struggling with weight loss.  It just makes so much sense to me, as to where I was going so wrong, all this time! I know so many people who swear by the paleo diet approach, as the be-all and end-all to all of our health problems, especially weight loss! So, of course, I have been stressing and striving, to avoid every carb known to me, as an "evil" food, to be avoided, at all costs, but wondering what I was doing so wrong, when it didn't work, for me!

My query, so far, in trying to calculate the correct amounts of protein, fats and carbohydrates, is the frothy milky lattes, that I love so dearly! Here in Australia, we are high consumers of milk- based coffees, unlike what I believe you drink in US. As I am osteopenic, it's important that I have an adequate supply of calcium. So I adore my two morning coffees and one early afternoon one. I have nearly all my coffees from home, on skim milk, and each coffee contains only 100 mls of milk.

Should I be subtracting the carbohydrate value of skim milk (given it is only 100mls at a time) from the breakfast carb figure and then later, from the afternoon snack. Or is it more relevant to deduct it from the protein portion of breakfast and then completely take out the third cup,of the day?

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance with these finer points.

Rosalie

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Latte coffee!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 09:49:57 AM »
Hi Rosalie, and welcome!  I'm thrilled to hear the program and the science of it resonates with you. 

In terms of skim milk for your coffee, we're all for continuing to enjoy your pleasures.  You are indeed consuming only a small portion of milk.  Milk is about half and half protein-carb but for the purposes of the diet, we recommend you count it as protein.  So, yes, subtract it from your morning protein amount (it'll only be about 4 grams of protein) and forget about the amount of carb consumed.  In the afternoon, as long as you have a "pure" carb snack rather than one that already has some protein in it, you can have the latte at the same time.  Or, if you consume a snack like a granola bar that already has 4-5 grams of protein in it, aim for a snack with no more than 125-130 calories (rather than 140-150) and then wait at least 30 minutes and then have the latte drink. These are subtleties regarding how many calories you're consuming.  As for the third latte, just monitor your weight loss and if you're not losing, you can cut it out to see if you're packing in too many calories overall or cut down on portion sizes just a little bit at dinner (for example,20-25% smaller carb portion - 2 lattes a day may be the maximum in order to keep losing weight.

Please keep us posted and we wish you all the best,
Nina

Rosalie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
Thanks Nina, that helps a lot to be clear about it. I have already decided to omit one latte from breakfast time and instead brought in a green tea to start the day with, followed by breakfast and then the latte! I enjoy it more that way! So I will then be more careful re the afternoon one and space it by time, as you suggest.

It took me a couple of days to realise that my post had not gone through, so by the time I reposted, and on a new day now, in Australia, I'm now up to day 7. I want to be extremely strict, to be sure it works and I am learning a lot of tips by reading the past posts. So this is a wonderful 'sea of knowledge' until the book arrives. I visited my friend yesterday, who has struggled for many years, much as myself, and also drug affected weight gain, in particular! She is starting the journey also, so we can be of local support to one another.

I'm trying not to get too excited yet but I have already lost 2.5kgs ( 5.5 lbs) ! My gross gut distension has abated amazingly by about 7cm (?3 inches). I am currently weaning off lyrica, an anticonvulsant which I was prescribed for neurological pain. So far the strong pain has not returned so maybe lyrica has done its job already anyway. One of the worst side effects of lyrica, of course, was weight gain and abdo distension, so it has not been something I can live with, indefinitely. Also I have had two short term courses of prednisone for acute medical conditions, this year. It is another drug that adds to weight gain and all that on top of 7 years on cymbalta. I digress here, in case anyone else reading this has had a similar cocktail of drugs, as many seem to. It explains why I'm so overwhelmingly relieved to have discovered this diet regime and the incredible support offered here on this site!

I will be forever grateful to you. Thank you, again!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:26 PM »
Hi Rosalie, I am going to join in on your excitement of losing 2.5 kg in a week and because your abdominal dissension is reduced - this is all fantastic to hear!!  What a great start :-)  Whatever you're doing, it's working and I admire your commitment to do it right (which doesn't always mean "perfect" but it does mean right for you, doing what feels good, and making it sustainable in the long run).  Sounds like you're being thoughtful about everything and this is all wonderful to remember when and if "life" gets in the way - it doesn't have to be all or nothing but certainly having a solid ground and good habits to lean on will always be great. 

Thanks for your positive words - we love hearing from our readers whether it's successes or struggles.  It's a journey we're all on. 

Nina

dwilliams71

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
[quote author=Rosalie link=topic=724.msg3412#msg3412 date=1497664795]. I am currently weaning off lyrica, an anticonvulsant which I was prescribed for neurological pain. So far the strong pain has not returned so maybe lyrica has done its job already anyway. One of the worst side effects of lyrica, of course, was weight gain and abdo distension, so it has not been something I can live with, indefinitely. Also I have had two short term courses of prednisone for acute medical conditions, this year. It is another drug that adds to weight gain and all that on top of 7 years on cymbalta. I digress here, in case anyone else reading this has had a similar cocktail of drugs, as many seem to.
[/quote]

Hi Rosalie,  I have nerve pain issues resulting from a spine condition and 2 surgeries.  I've taken all the nerve pain meds and currently taking Lyrica after the Gabapentin caused rapid weight gain and fluid retention.  I followed SPD a few years ago and it jump started a 60 lb weight loss.  However, I was injured last year AGAIN in my neck and cannot exercise due to RSD (I broke my foot during this time too) so I've gained 40 lbs back.  20 of those lbs in about a month.  :-( I get monthly steroid shots too since the injury.  I can't afford to go out of work and HOPE for disability.  I do whatever I can to keep pain at bay and I KNOW that this WOE will help with the pain and additional cravings I now have due to meds.  I don't know if it can help me lose weight because I do steroid shots, antidepressants, AND anti-epileptic meds, but its worth trying.  I'm mainly doing it for pain management.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:10:16 PM »
I am very glad you are both taking care of yourselves in as many ways as possible - you both seem to have a sense of gratitude for the positives and are finding strength inside to weather the challenges.  My hat goes off to both of you!

I wish you well on all fronts,
Nina