Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Dairy, specifically Milk  (Read 536 times)

dwilliams71

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Dairy, specifically Milk
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:30:17 PM »
Where does milk fit into the diet?  What percentage of fat? I vaguely remember reading about cereal and milk at breakfast but is that even enough nutritionally for middle age women who are at risk for osteoporosis?

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Dairy, specifically Milk
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:22:10 PM »
Hello!  You can have skim or low fat milk, or nut milks (which are actually quite low in calories) with milk for breakfast.  Many breakfast cereals are highly fortified with vitamins so please check the nutrition information to see if Calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, etc. is added. 

The most important factor to prevent osteoporosis is weight-bearing exercise.  Yes, we all need adequate nutrients in the form of food (ideally) or vitamin supplements.  Calcium is found in dark green vegetables like broccoli, chard, and kale; fish with bones such as sardines, and also in salmon; and many nuts and beans are rich in calcium.  Fish, cheese, eggs, and foods with added vitamin nutrients are good sources of Vitamin D.  Milk, of course, too, has these nutrients but it's not the only source. 

Nina

SammyK

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:32:31 AM »
I have a dairy sensitivity so I would have to use nut milks with my cereal.  My absolute favorite is cashew milk, which has a comparable fat content to almond milk so I'm hoping it would be OK.  Though, it does not contain the protein, so I'm wondering how I could get the protein in for breakfast if not through the milk product.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 05:54:06 PM »
I hear you on nut milks being low in protein, but they're a great option for cereal and other situations in which you can't use milk.

Generally, what proteins do you eat?  There are high protein-low fat sausages, tofu, protein powders you can mix with oatmeal, high protein breakfast cereals, high protein muffins, deli meats, eggs, fish, deli meats, beans, smoked salmon, dairy substitutes made of soy or vegetable proteins...anything goes so I encourage you not to eliminate protein options because they're not traditional breakfast food.

Thanks for keeping us posted!
Nina