Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Starting THE diet  (Read 531 times)

D.S.

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Starting THE diet
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:44:03 AM »
Dear Nina,

I started taking Prozac back in June 2015 and have gained 12 kilos (26.5lbs) since.  I now weigh 69kg/152lbs (I used to weigh 58kg/127lbs). I am currently weaning off the medication and I would like to do something about my weight.  I feel uncomfortable in my body, as it gets tired more easily and I am finding minor but yet noticeable pains in some parts of it.  I have purchased your book and read it entirely.  I have a couple of questions for you:
I am never hungry when I wake up.  I usually drink a small teapot of English Breakfast tea with a couple of teaspoons of honey.  I get hungry around noon.  Is there anyway I could adjust your diet to fit my morning routine?

Also, would you recommend that I keep a food log diary as I go along?  Do you know if it would help in maintaining awareness and commitment?

With respect to exercise, I tend to exercise very moderately and irregularly: 20 minutes of swimming, or 30 minutes walking or 30 minutes of leisure cycling.  I tend to focus on the enjoyment of the movement and exercise rather than on the performance.  Can that still count as exercise for the diet?  I can’t get myself to switch to a performance mode... It is my insatiable need for performance and productivity that got me to hit a brick wall a couple of years ago... I am learning to approach things differently and I wanted to know if my new approach can fit my weight-loss objective.

I wish you a lovely day!

D.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting THE diet
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:59:54 PM »
Hello D, and welcome - thanks for writing in. 

That's wonderful you read the whole book and now are ready to start.  My answers to all of your questions are, absolutely!

I, too, don't each much upon wakening so I completely get it.  Tea with honey is fine (given you want to be non-performance oriented, I will not recommend you skip the honey!)  One question I have for you, though, is do you eat three meals, or would you prefer 2?  If you eat three, the schedule would be something like this:

11:30 or noon breakfast
2:30 3pm snack
3:30 or 4pm lunch
6-ish snack (could be later)
6:30 or 7 dinner (could be later)
either as a dessert or later, around 8 or 9m snack when you are on Phase I

If you prefer 2 meals, which is close to what a lot of people do when they want to have brunch on the weekend:
11:30 or noon - snack, OR a combination of breakfast and lunch without a snack
4p snack
4:30 or 5pm dinner
7 or 8pm snack (and if you're on Phase I and are feeling hungry, you could have 2 snacks at once).

For many people, keeping a food diary is really helpful when it includes recording your emotions and who you're with, where you are, etc. so you can track any patterns of overeating if that tends to be an issue for you - that way you can be preventative to prepare yourself for stressful situations.  Another way to do it is to write down ahead of time what you'll eat for the day along with setting out all of the portions of what you'll be eating and/or cooking for the day.

And finally, with respect to exercise: the great news is that you're doing something that feels good and works for you.  I invite you to add about 5-10 minutes of some sort of resistance exercise that might include stretching so that you are challenging your muscles, preventing osteoporosis, getting some relaxing stretching in, etc.  There are many 10-minute strength training videos on line from which you can get some ideas, but even doing a few squats, barre-style leg lifts, abdominal crunches followed by a few lunges to stretch, body twists while you're lying on your back on the floor, forward bends over straight legs, etc. can feel really refreshing. 

Congratulations on taking this step to start the diet - you're already being thoughtful about it which is wonderful.  Please keep us posted!

Nina

SammyK

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 12:01:11 AM »
I was just about to ask how to adjust the diet for 2 meals a day, as I frequently do this over the summer when waking at a later hour!  I'll ask my more specific question in another thread, but I am glad there seems to be a lot of flexibility in this diet!

Fourstrego

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:44:34 PM »
[quote author=NinaFrusztajerMD link=topic=740.msg3469#msg3469 date=1501869594]
Hello D, and welcome - thanks for writing in. 

That's wonderful you read the whole book and now are ready to start.  My answers to all of your questions are, absolutely!

I, too, don't each much upon wakening so I completely get it.  Tea with honey is fine (given you want to be non-performance oriented, I will not recommend you skip the honey!)  One question I have for you, though, is do you eat three meals, or would you prefer 2?  If you eat three, the schedule would be something like this:

11:30 or noon breakfast
2:30 3pm snack
3:30 or 4pm lunch
6-ish snack (could be later)
6:30 or 7 dinner (could be later)
either as a dessert or later, around 8 or 9m snack when you are on Phase I

If you prefer 2 meals, which is close to what a lot of people do when they want to have brunch on the weekend:
11:30 or noon - snack, OR a combination of breakfast and lunch without a snack
4p snack
4:30 or 5pm dinner
7 or 8pm snack (and if you're on Phase I and are feeling hungry, you could have 2 snacks at once).

For many people, keeping a food diary is really helpful when it includes recording your emotions and who you're with, where you are, etc. so you can track any patterns of overeating if that tends to be an issue for you - that way you can be preventative to prepare yourself for stressful situations.  Another way to do it is to write down ahead of time what you'll eat for the day along with setting out all of the portions of what you'll be eating and/or cooking for the day.

And finally, with respect to exercise: the great news is that you're doing something that feels good and works for you.  I invite you to add about 5-10 minutes of some sort of resistance exercise that might include stretching so that you are challenging your muscles, preventing osteoporosis, getting some relaxing stretching in, etc.  There are many 10-minute strength training videos on line from which you can get some ideas, but even doing a few squats, barre-style leg lifts, abdominal crunches followed by a few lunges to stretch, body twists while you're lying on your back on the floor, forward bends over straight legs, etc. can feel really refreshing. 

Congratulations on taking this step to start the diet - you're already being thoughtful about it which is wonderful.  Please keep us posted!

Nina
[/quote]

Nice tips and guidelines.