Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Slowly Ramping Up, Some Q's  (Read 378 times)

SammyK

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Slowly Ramping Up, Some Q's
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:25:41 AM »
Hi Nina,

I had made the post about a month ago wondering if SPD is right for me, and am now slowly adding components of the diet to my lifestyle so I don't overwhelm myself all at once. 

So far, I've done the following:
1) Consistently added the afternoon snack after breakfast and occasionally one before breakfast or after dinner (I rarely feel the need for 3 snacks so I've been sticking to two for now). 
2) I've also been using a calorie tracker app to help me stay within 1400 calories a day (+/- 300 depending on exercise). 
3) I've added consistent aerobic exercise at 40-60 minutes per session on an exercise bike (I've managed this by making it the only time I get to watch my favorite TV shows! Really helps with the motivation for me...)

I'm happy to report that I've already lost about 4-5 pounds in the past week just from doing the above (it came on quick, so I imagine it would come off quick as well.  It's that last stubborn 10-15 lbs that I imagine would be more slow going!). 

I've pretty much ignored the macronutrient guidelines and ratios for each meal and have just kept my pre-diet meals the same (simply adding the snacks and the portion control to keep it all within 1400 calories).  I'm wondering how important the macronutrient aspect is for the overall weight loss?  I'm considering adding this component and have a couple of questions:

1) Is there an overall recommended percentage of daily calories that should come from each macronutrient? Such as 50% from carbs, 20% from protein and 30% from fat, for example?  Is there a breakdown of these proportions for each meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner)? Would adjustments to these ratios matter in the overall weight loss if one were to remain within the 1400 calorie window?

2) Are there recommendations for how to adjust the proportions of macronutrients at each meal when eating 2 meals a day?  I frequently do this on weekends and days when I wake up later.  For example, could I keep breakfast the same and add more protein at dinner?

3) Are there other components of the diet you'd recommend more strongly than the macronutrient portions?

Thanks for all your help and support!

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Slowly Ramping Up, Some Q's
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 12:02:45 AM »
Hello and thanks for sharing all that you're doing - wow, I applaud you for being so thoughtful about how you're approaching the diet taking the components that work for you and overall sticking with a plan.  I know there's probably a much more elegant way to say this known saying that a good plan that is executed is more effective than a "perfect" plan that is not executed.  Well done since it has translated to weight loss - fantastic.

I love that you reward yourself during exercise with your favorite tv show!  And it makes a lot of sense to listen to your body as to when you decide to have a snack. 

In terms of macronutrients, the goal is to eat wholesome foods so you naturally get a variety of nutrients and 45-60 grams of protein a day.  Itís important to remember that many foods contain protein, even broccoli!  The specific answer to your question is that no, we don't have a specific percentage breakdown of macronutrients for each meal. 

I posted on another thread about what to do when you're eating 2 meals a day such as on a weekend or really on any day.  I'll try to copy and paste it so it's here in this thread as well.   

Thank you for your words of appreciation - we are inspired by the commitment you make to yourselves to feel your best,
Nina

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Slowly Ramping Up, Some Q's
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:06:54 AM »
Here's what I posted on the other thread in response to someone who didn't want to start eating anything until noon - you could shift the timing of meals and snacks earlier but please remember to wait at least 2 and ideally 3 or more hours after eating a protein meal before having a carb snack or a carb-focused dinner:

11:30 or noon - snack, OR a combination of breakfast and lunch without a snack
12:30 or 1 - combination of breakfast and lunch if you had the snack
4p snack
4:30 or 5pm dinner
7 or 8pm snack (and if you're on Phase I and are feeling hungry, you could have 2 snacks at once).