Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: New and Looking for Answers  (Read 422 times)

Loretta A.

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
New and Looking for Answers
« on: September 04, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
Hello!

Well, I found The Serotonin Power Diet book and this website just yesterday. My copy of the book should be here tomorrow but I wanted to introduce myself, tell my story and ask some beginner questions.

I have been suffering from depression, anxiety and panic attacks for years but only recently, thanks to my husband, have been able to get help. For almost two years I have been in therapy and been taking Mirtazapine. I have been using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to retrain my brain/thinking so that one day I will hopefully come off Mirtazapine. I'm at 30 mg right now which is a step down from the 45 mg I was taking. I have actually thrived under the care of my therapist and the medication and the CBT. Of course, I've had good days and bad days but my good days have been outnumbering my bad days. I'm so thankful to God that I have a husband to walk through this with me and who was strong enough to get me the help I needed. For years I didn't even know I was depressed and anxious, couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, why I was crying so much and felt so low. Now I know. I've also been dealing with high blood pressure and now also take 120 mg of Propranolol. I'm also an introvert but being able to type out my story to a bunch of strangers without my heart pounding out of my chest is a big step for me.

I've always struggled with my weight, it's worse being on Mirtazapine. I've put on 30 pounds and it keeps climbing. No matter what I do I can't get it off. Everything I've tried has ended up discouraging me so badly. I was skinny at one time, long before I was on meds. I had cut out almost everything to get skinny and was starving. No matter what I try, no matter how hard I try to cut things out, add protein do this or that I get so hungry I can hardly stand it. I'm very interested in this diet because it seems to go against everything I've ever been taught about food and carbs. What really sold me is that, while reading reviews and pages on this forum, the subject of PMS was brought up. I've always had extremely painful periods. Diet and exercise do not make them less painful. Being hungry makes them worse. I've missed work days and even vomited diarrhea to the point I have to be close to a toilet on days one and two. It's awful. The one thing that has helped, and I'm curious as to why, is carbs. I have the usual salt and chocolate cravings but when my cramps are bad I always reach for bread of some sort or bland oatmeal and my cramps ease up. I take 800 mg of Ibuprofen when I cramp but on day two when my cramps are at the worse, it stops working and I am done.

So here are my questions:

1. My next period cycle is almost here what can I do now to ease my cramps as I learn the ins and outs of this new diet?

2. Does anyone have any experience losing weight while on Mirtazapine? Is it possible to lose weight while on this drug?

3. What do I do about my chocolate cravings? I'm a huge chocoholic, always have been. Is dark better than milk or does it not matter?

4. Are their certain protein bars that are better than others or are those a no no in this diet?

Thank you so much for reading my post and providing answers. I look forward to digging in and learning something new.

Pippa

Re: New and Looking for Answers
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »
Hi Loretta.
I am waiting for my book to arrive plus babysitting granddaughters with  the flu at the moment. Once back home am being optimistic about losing weight on Mirtazapine. Good to see someone else on same medication . Wish us both luck. I will stay posted.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
Hello Loretta - welcome, and thanks for sharing so much of yourself here on the forum.  It says a lot about your commitment to yourself, your goals, and the well being of others - it's an honor that you've chosen to be here with us so fully. 

To answer your questions:

1. We hear over and over from readers and clients that being on the Serotonin Power Diet reduces symptoms of PMS.  We recommend following the program during your period but on days where symptoms or hunger is more pronounced, have an extra snack, or increase the size of your snack, and you can even have the dinner menu for lunch and dinner on a particularly bad day - yes, it makes sense you crave carbs during your period.

2. Yes, you can lose weight on the SPD while taking Mirtazapine.

3. Here's an idea to satisfy a chocolate craving: 1/3 cup oat bran, 1 cup water, a tsp of butter, dash of salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon sugar, and 2 Tablespoons of good quality unsweetened cocoa powder.  Cook all ingredients together in a pot over the stove or cook for a couple of minutes in a microwave-safe dish watching carefully it doesn't overflow.  Not exactly a bar of chocolate or a piece of flourless truffle cake but it's a great option that is perfect as a snack or dessert while on the Serotonin Power Diet.

4. You can definitely have protein bars on the program.  It's best to read the labels and aim for the ones highest in protein and lowest in fat.  If you're having one as part of breakfast, incorporate the carbs in the bar as your breakfast carb.  If you're having one as part of lunch, just follow the protein guidelines and choose a bar with enough protein and have veggies (or fruit if you don't have access to veggies) and don't worry about the carb content.  We like to keep things simple and assume in the long run you'll be eating the right stuff.

Wishing you all the best on this journey - you're being thoughtful and open which is wonderful.

Nina

Loretta A.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »
My book came! I've started reading it and can't believe how much sense it makes. There is so much to think about in just the first few pages.

Pippa, so glad to see someone else on Mirtazapine. It's good to see that I'm not alone.

Nina, thank you for your answers. That helps a lot. I look forward to learning more as I read the book.

Pippa

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:46:22 AM »
Loretta. Hi. I too am pleased someone else is on Mirtazapine and shares my hunger and weight gain. Still waiting for book. We can support each other. Maybe we can help each other find Australian products suitable so we can swap food choices around and get some variety. Cannot wait to receive and read my book.