Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Gained weight on surge  (Read 496 times)

Thermalnermal

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Gained weight on surge
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:24:28 AM »
Hi
I've gained 2lb on 1st 2 weeks of plan followed it to the letter. Not happy as had 21lb to loose. Now I am the heaviest i've ever been :(

doctriplem

Re: Gained weight on surge
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:53:51 AM »
Hi Thermalnermal - how frustrating! This is just a suggestion- but do you log your food? I use My Fitness Pal food diary (although there are many different ones you can use). It keeps my calories in line and makes me aware of exactly what I am eating. It is so easy to add in an extra 50-100 calories here and there and over 14 days that can really add up.

Another thought - do you weigh your portions? We all are notorious for under-estimating portion size and that can ramp up calorie intake as well. It may also just be a readjustment for your body. If you arenít used to a lot of carbs you will see a temporary increase in water (carb storage) weight but this will come off as your body adjusts. Weight fluctuates like crazy - mine doesfor sure - so it could just have been an off day. Donít give up - next week could be very different.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:00:09 AM by doctriplem »

Thermalnermal

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
Hi
I planned and weighed everything for first 2 weeks. and I am just doing the same for the next 2 weeks.  My bingeing history has been on savoury foods mainly late night cheese & cracker cravings.  I decided to use sweet (no fat) foods as my snack portions as I do not have a sweet tooth, in fact sweet foods make me feel sick, so felt I would be at low risk of bingeing on them.  However, I am not at all used to consuming sugar in my diet, prior to learning about the SPD I had all but eliminated all sugar except fruit understanding that you want to avoid insulin surges.  I am willing to give it another 2 weeks on the balance phase.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:34:24 AM by Thermalnermal »

doctriplem

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »
It sounds like water weight. When you consume carbohydrates, your body converts them to glycogen, which is then stored in the muscles for energy. For every gram of glycogen stored, you gain approximately 2.7 grams of water. This water retention occurs because your kidneys hold on to sodium in response to carbohydrate consumption. Your body reacts to the higher sodium levels by storing more water to keep the sodium-blood concentration at a healthy level. Keep in mind this is temporary and your body will adjust. It shows on the scale but it is not permanent. Watching sodium consumption and drinking lots of water will help it come off.

I initially retained water in the surge part as well but it came off fairly quickly. I weighed myself every day for a week just to remind myself that you can fluctuate and that it is normal.