Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Just Now Starting Diet  (Read 347 times)

Loretta A.

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Just Now Starting Diet
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:55 AM »
I bought the book a few months ago but it wasn't until Thanksgiving Day that I decided I had had enough of my weight. My weight was increasing and I needed it to stop. So I dove into the book and I started exercising. Technically I am only on day 3 of the diet. I have a few challenges to work through but that's got to be normal. My body is going through yet another insomnia cycle (I've been dealing with this issue for years) so getting up early in the morning to go for a walk has not been a problem. This morning I have just started noting a bit of a difference on my scale. Not much but something. Mentally I do feel better, more calm. I guess there is not much point in this post except to kind of put myself out there for accountability and I wanted to share a few things I have done in these first few days that have helped me so that, hopefully, someone else might find encouragement.

I found that adding cinnamon to my coffee grounds before brewing my morning coffee is like having Christmas in my cup.I also add honey to my coffee straight into my cup rather than creamer. It took a bit to get used to but I like it. Pitted dates are my go to when I need a sugar boost.  I have a raging sweet tooth so being able to grab some dates has saved me. Not that I have an abundance of free time on my hands but I have decided to learn how to bake my own bread. Buying store bought bread with a bunch of preservatives can't be all that healthy. Actually homemade bread, toasted and spread with almond butter it really good. I just need one piece. Not sure what Chick fil a does in other states but here in Florida they do not put a veggie wrap on their menu. You have to ask for it. But during this phase 1 of the SPD it's worth asking for. It's not big at all but it is filling.

Tomorrow is my grocery shopping day so I will be stocking up on some things. I was afraid I would not begin to see any results until much later but I'm pleased that on this day 3 I am starting to see some improvements. Baby steps, that's all I can do right now and it is enough. I found that I love making my own snack packs. I love getting up early to walk. I live close to a river that is about a half mile wide...I think. Walking the bridge across the river is so relaxing.

My biggest challenge right now at the beginning is my walking has made me drink a lot of water, which is a good thing. The not so good thing is during the day when my husband and I are out on service calls together (we own a small commercial refrigeration business, it's just the two of us) I have an awful time finding time to use the bathroom. All that water comes back to haunt me. But if I don't drink water then I get dehydrated. I'm hoping that my body will adjust.

Well it's time to get on with my day.

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Just Now Starting Diet
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
Welcome!  And thanks for writing in on your experiences so far on the program.  I hope it has continued well and that you feel good and are pleased with the numbers you see on the scale.  My apologies for the delay replying to you. 

You write so many things that make me feel really good about your investment, commitment, follow-though, thoughtfulness, and ability to recognize the positives in what you're doing.  It sounds like you're being realistic and already noticing what works for you (packing your own snacks, drinking a lot of water  - yes, I hear you on feeling stuck if and when you can't find a bathroom, that is often a problem for me, too!, walking when it works for you and incorporating a relaxing aspect such as the bridge, baking your own bread if there's time for that, cinnamon and honey in your coffee, etc.)  The key is to pay attention to the process and how your actions affect how you feel on all levels. 

Please keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions or need help to optimize the program for your success. 

Here's to feeling your best!
Nina