Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News:

We hope our forum gives you what you need to stay on track, be successful, and feel good about yourself.
- Judy and Nina

Author Topic: Oversleeping meal times  (Read 341 times)

mhanline

• Welcome to The Serotonin Power Diet Forum!
Oversleeping meal times
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
I am a nursing student with a full time job and part time job so when I am off I tend to sleep past my alarms. I sleep past breakfast, is this okay to do? I really don't want to mess this up. I was also wondering are there desserts that can be consumed on this diet? My husband comes back from deployment and we are celebrating my brother and his birthday.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:58:17 PM by mhanline »

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Oversleeping meal times
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
Hello, and welcome!  I admire you for pursuing a career in nursing especially while holding 2 jobs, wow! It takes a lot but the rewards are wonderful - nursing is a superb profession. 

I'm glad you wrote to us with your questions.  Many readers and clients have similar experiences to you in that they either work very long hours or work through the night, or simply do best on their own schedule - the  answer is, yes!  it's OK to sleep through breakfast.  You can have brunch instead which would be a combination of breakfast and lunch without the snack beforehand.  A day could look like this (you can adjust the timing to suit your schedule:

11 am (or any time mid to late morning): Brunch consisting of breakfast and lunch portions of protein, one serving of a carb, vegetables, and fruit. 
2 pm (or at least 3 hours after brunch): snack
5 pm either dinner (as outlined in the diet plan, or a snack
7pm either dinner (as outlined in the diet plan), or a snack

In the above schedule, if you are in Phase I, you would only be having 2 snacks rather than 3 - this is OK.  However, if you're feeling like you'd like a bit more to eat, you can eat the additional snack as a combination of things you are eating at other times.  For example, an afternoon or evening snack can consist of 2 snack servings, or you can add a snack serving of carb to dinner.

Don't worry about not doing it right - if you follow the basic principles with the timing of carbs and protein a described in the book, you'll be fine.

Nina

NinaFrusztajerMD

• Global Moderator
Re: Oversleeping meal times
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »
I forgot to answer your question about dessert: anything that is low fat, like angel food cake is good but really, any cake without frosting, cookies that are low in butter and chocolate - biscotti without nuts are great or rice crispy squares, sorbet, candies, etc. - just check labels and choose something low in fat and protein.  If you eat something that has a slightly higher than desirable protein or fat content, that's OK - just have a very small serving.

What a great reason to celebrate!